• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Doo XP VS. Polaris Pro

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
and I am pretty sure I have seen WB post on here that he has been clutching his sled..so once more non stock......in fact, I think there has been several guys posting on these threads when he does wanting to know when his clutch kits will be availavle...lets see if we cant find a "STOCK" xp against a stock pro..(which by the way is what mine was when I rode with an etec), both 163's, his with 300+ miles, mine on its maiden ride......

I think the PRO is a great sled....light, handles great, people are happy with it.
Clutch calibration changes are still considered "stock" IMO, considered stock because they are simply calibration parts, not changing to different clutches. Most Polaris guys have to change clutch calibration to suit their altitude and riding style/terrain as well.
No different than changing jetting (back in the day) as needed for altitude....it's not what came from the factory, but is what is necessary to make the sled "right" for some users.
Clutching changes are allowed by race org's in stock classes as long as you are using the stock clutches.
I will be the first to admit the PRO works surprisingly well based on the few I've seen and reports from customers...if Poo adds power the Doo's guys will be in trouble. That's what keeps it fun! :D

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
The Pro should be a better sled out of the box then the Doo, Polaris took all of what Doo innovated and made it better on Polaris....Once again good for Polaris:face-icon-small-coo

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
amen stock out of the crate pro wins everytime

Not the one I went up against last weekend I'm stock and I killed a pro last weekend wasn't even a compitition I remember looking back and he was about 6 sled lenghts behind me and we got out of the hole equally. when it's a straight up the hill climb the pro had nothing on my etec. We raced for about 30 min back to back runs and he NEVER got ahead of me once.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
this is all true. but if you ride with an xp that has Roosterbuilt clutching you would realize how much more superior in power the xp is over the pro-laris. stock doo clutching is better then it used to be, but puttin the power to the ground makes the prolaris look like a 700.:fencing:

I have a well set up 09 (stock engine) with roosterbuilt clutching and my stock clutching etec will out perform it, I've been pulling my hair out trying to get my 09 to perform and develop track speed like my etec. When my 09 was new i had to pull weight out of it to get it to rev to 8100, my etec I had to add more weight to keep it at 8000. The etec makes more power, hands down!!

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
funny how the Prolaris guys cant see any of the good things were saying about the pro. then they say "its not all about the horse power when your sled handles like this one." la di freakin dah! i got no complaints about how well my xp sidehills, boondocks, or surfs the pow. Nor do i complain about the horsepower numbers. So dont get all butt hurt Prolaris, You copied a great rev sled (without the hp, thanks snowmobilier) and made it better. Just smile and keep ride'in:yo: Maybe hop on the short bus and get a lesson from grandma:lol:

Last edited:
R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Local drag races ( mountain sleds )stock ( rental ) 800 cat, beat poo's pro and the pro had a pipe had a pipe. ( we did get it closer with skid adjustments.) Rider? Track conditions?
I like a conversation that leads to nowhere because there are too many factors involved to argue with.
They are all close. It is because of set up, rider. and conditions.
If we could get the sleds to go up the hill without rider and on exactly the same traction conditions, with out of the box set-up.............we would have a debate. But until.........................?
Even track tension, belt adjustment, fuel quality, rider weight, ski adjustment, skid adjustment,etc. can effect performance. Number one.......Rider ability and number two........the ability not to bull chit about the brand you are all loyal to.
Lets ride and look smarter in debating the taste of a good beer.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Handling is an opinion............HP is fact.

Let's be honest here, which is easier to fix ? Handling or horsepower ? To most people, it's horsepower. IMHO and every open-minded rider I've talked to, the Pro IS easier to throw around in any situation. Polaris nailed the chassis and the HP difference is easy to overcome, especially considering how much better the Pro pops on top of the snow vs. the XP. As a matter of fact, three hard core Doo boys in my small town are all jumping ship after riding the Pro and snow checking '12 Pros.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Local drag races ( mountain sleds )stock ( rental ) 800 cat, beat poo's pro and the pro had a pipe had a pipe. ( we did get it closer with skid adjustments.) Rider? Track conditions?
I like a conversation that leads to nowhere because there are too many factors involved to argue with.
They are all close. It is because of set up, rider. and conditions.
If we could get the sleds to go up the hill without rider and on exactly the same traction conditions, with out of the box set-up.............we would have a debate. But until.........................?
Even track tension, belt adjustment, fuel quality, rider weight, ski adjustment, skid adjustment,etc. can effect performance. Number one.......Rider ability and number two........the ability not to bull chit about the brand you are all loyal to.
Lets ride and look smarter in debating the taste of a good beer.

I've been thinking about this for a long time. We need remote controls for sleds and then you could sit there on lawn chairs, with beer, and climb the narliest stuff against your buddies. No worries of avalanche. How fun would that be. Just need to figure out how to tranfer weight from side to side. I don't know what you do if it gets stuck. Maybe a self destruct button so you don't have to walk up the hill.
They are all good sleds anymore. I just don't like the xp's. I always liked the revs. They climb as good as anything. I think the etec has more power than anything. No debate. I like what I like and you like what you like. It wouldn't be as fun if everyone rode the same stuff.

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
I've been thinking about this for a long time. We need remote controls for sleds and then you could sit there on lawn chairs, with beer, and climb the narliest stuff against your buddies. No worries of avalanche. How fun would that be. Just need to figure out how to tranfer weight from side to side. I don't know what you do if it gets stuck. Maybe a self destruct button so you don't have to walk up the hill.
They are all good sleds anymore. I just don't like the xp's. I always liked the revs. They climb as good as anything. I think the etec has more power than anything. No debate. I like what I like and you like what you like. It wouldn't be as fun if everyone rode the same stuff.

I think we have it allready and its the key board.:face-icon-small-hap

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Some things I have noticed:

1. SOME XP riders are THE MOST brand loyal, color-blinded people on this forum. I have always noticed that if by some miracle an XP happens to get beat, oh we better make sure both sleds have the same track, was the XP clutched, yada yada yada. Here's the facts, none of the sleds from ANY of the companies have the same track or the same clutching or the same anything, and yes, some are better than others.

2. I currently own an 07 DOO, but I am getting rid of it this year. I am considering all three companies, so I am about as far from brand-loyal as you can get.

3. The PRO is an incredible machine. I rode one for four days in IP and it didn't feel underpowered to me. I was switching between that and a 2010 M8, which BTW is within a HP or two of the Ski-Doo that has "SOOOO much more power than the PRO." I never had the chance to ride a new DOO because no one I ride with has one, but I really did want to see how the 2011s ran. From the reports I have heard they sound like good machines.

4. The 2011 M8 is still right there with either of these sleds so....

5. If Arctic Cat improves on the M series (which they will) for 2012, the XP vs PRO debate is pointless, unless you guys want to argue about who has the 2nd best sled.

So - have fun with this argument for the next few weeks, after March 8th it won't matter.

Joe

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Another thing ---

Anyone else notice the listed weight of the 2012 Summit X 800 154 - something like 460 lbs dry!?!?!

That's about 29 lbs heavier than what the 2011 PRO was listed at, and will be about 10-15lbs heavier than the 2012 M8.

Oh and Cat will have a 4-stroke turbo within 40 lbs of the "feather weight" XP, only the Cat will have about 180hp at elevation. That whole highmarking thing shouldn't be much of a competition....

Joe

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
The other thing to remember is some people who own brand A....owned brand B previously.

I had an 07 Rev that really ripped once I got it sorted out with a good motor and the roosterbuilt clutch kit + team secondary. In fact, if I recall correctly, the 800R in the 07 Rev made more hp than any XP asides from the E-tec. Anyways, it beat any 2010 or previous stock XP or stock M8 in a drag race or hill drags that I ever ran across. Deep powder it would be pretty even because it just didn't have the traction/floatation of the newer chassis and tracks. The pro has that sled covered in power (not by a lot mind you), but the traction and floation are simply in a different league. Same as when you go from a Rev to an XP....less crap dragging in the snow = more float. The pro chassis just exagerates that even further than the XP....it's getting close to just a track and skiis.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
4. The 2011 M8 is still right there with either of these sleds so....

5. If Arctic Cat improves on the M series (which they will) for 2012, the XP vs PRO debate is pointless, unless you guys want to argue about who has the 2nd best sled.

So - have fun with this argument for the next few weeks, after March 8th it won't matter.

Joe

hopefully it comes with a keyboard.....:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:
Premium Features