• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Coolant leak help

M

m8lovin

Aug 29, 2010
vernon bc
I have a 07 m8 that i just put reman cylinders on it and new pistons. I started it up and it was useing antifreeze. I pulled motor back apart and it has coolant inside both sides of the motor. Base gasket and head orings were brand new. The head orings werent pinched from what i could see. And the base gasket looked fine. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for? Thanks!

G

glaciermonkey

Dec 6, 2007
skidro willey, wa
waterpump shaft seal?

on the m7's there is a weep hole for the water pump under the motor,not sure if it is on the m8. look and see if there is any sign of leakage. if the seal goes out there it can leak coolant inside. can you see or smell it in the exhaust, or is the res level just going down?
good luck

M

m8lovin

Aug 29, 2010
vernon bc
There is a weep hole on the m8 and didnt see any drips coming out of there. I can see it in the exhaust as well as the reservoir is going down. Thanks!

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
Check the hose on the heat exchanger between the track and bulkhead. Mine leaked after i rebuilt it. The hose clamps are an issue.

M

m8lovin

Aug 29, 2010
vernon bc
Its not leaking outside its leaking inside the motor somewhere. Its getting into both cylinders/bottom end. This waterpump shaft seal. Can it leak inside the motor without showing signs of leakage from the weep hole?

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
Not 100% sure if the pump can leak into the motor or not? but i would double check the o-rings on the Head!! they always seem like they dont move. But lots of guys have had them flip out right at the last second! Try putting a little grease in the o-ring groove to help keep them in place.

Premium Features