• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

It's in..PRO RMK at 143 HP

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I dont ride either brand, and I'm not brand loyal...but I do pay attention to all of the different brands and info about them.

I'm curious why a solo dyno number matters to anyone? Unless you had an XP and M8 there at the SAME TIME to run under the SAME CONDITIONS...then the numbers have no meaning except as a tuning tool.

Are the brand loyalists so insecure about their brand that this type of thing really matters?

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I see on Dynotech website they had to use 93 octane fuel and a leaner ethanol resistor to get 146.7HP...so real world numbers will prolly be at the 143 mark using 91 octane we have available in the west.

I'm sure the new Pro owners are little suprised..quoted at 155HP..that's 9-12hp less than quoted. At least the chassis weighed in as quoted. Should be real nice treat for the Polaris riders. Dynotech also mentioned the fuel mapping was clean and crisp..better than a lean mid and rich top end from years past.

For the Doo fans.. Dynotech also had the E-Tech at 163...god knows nobody can alter the fuel map on these, let alone any other tricks to lean it out and put up a good number.

Gonna be a great year for all..If only Cat had the new chassis out this year to do the battle.:face-icon-small-sho

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
The numbers are always good to know but as most have said, it's not all about numbers. It's about power and torque curves and how good of a clutch tuner you are but personally I'd rather start with a 20hp gain over my competition.

However, if Cat came out with a sled that was 20hp less than the Polaris of the same displacement, all the die hard Polaris guys would laugh and all the die hard Cat guys would say, "Oh c'mon guys, as all long as we're having fun, that's what really matters. :face-icon-small-sad "

So that's the great thing about not being brand loyal at all... like me! Seriously though, a dependable 150hp 800cc engine is not that hard to build and they've been getting produced for a number of years now so why can't Polaris get a little more competitive with the other manufacturers, especially at what they're charging for these new sleds???

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
The numbers are always good to know but as most have said, it's not all about numbers. It's about power and torque curves and how good of a clutch tuner you are but personally I'd rather start with a 20hp gain over my competition.

However, if Cat came out with a sled that was 20hp less than the Polaris of the same displacement, all the die hard Polaris guys would laugh and all the die hard Cat guys would say, "Oh c'mon guys, as all long as we're having fun, that's what really matters. :face-icon-small-sad "

So that's the great thing about not being brand loyal at all... like me! Seriously though, a dependable 150hp 800cc engine is not that hard to build and they've been getting produced for a number of years now so why can't Polaris get a little more competitive with the other manufacturers, especially at what they're charging for these new sleds???

Perhaps a conservative approach on compression and timing so they dont re-visit the burn down problems they have been plagued with?Thats what I would do!

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Well, go figure..

Doo shows to have more power than quoted, but the added weight this year.

Poo finally gets in the lightweight game, killer new chassis..but down 20hp to the Etech.

Just imagine if the new Pro came in at 163HP .. OMG:face-icon-small-sho

I can already hear them.. "I'll just TURBO it." LOL

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
"Perhaps a conservative approach on compression and timing so they dont re-visit the burn down problems they have been plagued with?Thats what I would do! "

I think you just nailed it on the head! I don't think they could afford to risk it after all the problems in the past.

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Well we all know that's exactly what they're doing but is it really being marketed as a conservative sled?

I mean, how many years do you give Polaris to come up with an engine that isn't plagued with problems? Polaris can't hire engineers that can overcome this hurdle?

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I agree.. especially after hearing Polaris has spent a TON of money in R&D to fix the problems for motors in the new PRO. They cannot afford to make that mistake again. If they have.... great... They may very well be back on track to the glory days of the XLT and 700's. It will only make Doo and Cat dig deeper, which we all will benefit from IMO.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
poo season,,,, doo season,,,,poo season,,,,doo season,,,,poo season,,,,doo season,,,, cat season?....... Duck season, ha ha ha wabbit season,,,,,? aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh... Turbo Season:smow:

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
So what were the older Dragon 800s for hp?

What was the carbed XP?

What was the 2010 Cat 800?

I've heard like 155 hp on the XP and 157 hp on the M Cats but are those dynotech #s?

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
FWIW my brothers 07 700 dragon 140 hp (est) 2800 miles SLP pipe and camo ext. track beats most xp sleds in the steep and deep.
Now we are talking DEEP FRESH SNOW. No flat lander race or race up the hill in one foot of powder.

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Wow.. that's one hell of a strong Dragon 700. He better hang on to that one. Forget the PRO!

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
i watched a guy make 4 or 5 runs up sufur from peanut at baker on his 700 dwagon, had to be about 3 feet of new. I said hold my beer and watch this. went right over. came back after about 10 mins of wfo crusin around. my buddies were crackin up.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
a few years ago, seen a good running 700 poo, it did great, but was not quite the xp caliber

as for this innfo from dynoteck, i would be furrious, calling all sorts of people in polaris, that is not right, to be that far under rated hp,

there is goona be a lot of sad polaris owners in the next few weeks

Premium Features