• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch alignment question

H
Dec 12, 2009
Anyone have a picture or description of how the clutch alignment tool is supposed to be used.

Last edited:

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Anyone have a picture or description of how the clutch alignment tool is supposed to be used.

No pic, but according to my manual (using the Cat tool) you put up against the outer face of the secondary and lay the other end down in between the sheaves on the shaft of the primary. Looking at the clearance between the tool and INNER sheave should be not more than 1.5mm.

H
Dec 12, 2009
lay the other end down in between the sheaves on the shaft of the primary. Looking at the clearance between the tool and INNER sheave should be not more than 1.5mm.

Thats kinda what I was thinking, BUT the tool doesn't fit all the way to the bottom of the primary sheave. What I mean is that it doesn't touch the roller shaft, it actually rides on the faces of the sheave just above the lowest point.

Does this mean that the primary needs to be shimmed?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Are you saying the tool is to wide to sit down in the middle of the primary, What clutch weights are you running. What sled is it and are you sure you have the right tool.

S
Dec 29, 2008
White Salmon, WA
1.655 tool

When looking from the top of the tool, the skiny part should be placed in between the primary sheaves and the fatter part up against the outer outside sheave of the secondary. It should be flat against both sides of the secondary outer sheave. Also, the 1.655 marking should be pointing up so you can read it. I just checked mine to make sure how to use it before I posted. I think I'm lucky because my 09 M8 has an exact clutch alignment, ie no shims required. I think this must play a role in how I got 1700 miles on my stock belt last year, and I'm still able to adjust the belt deflection to spec, plus I have very little belt dust and/or debris. I plan to replace the belt this year before my first ride, and will break it in gently for the first 30-40 miles as suggested here.

Last edited:
H
Dec 12, 2009
went out and checked on it using the method jim suggested and it looks as if it is spot on without any shims, dumb luck I guess.

I'm going to adjust the secondary using the BDX adjuster and then re-check the alignment.

Thanks all

S
Dec 29, 2008
White Salmon, WA
belt deflection?

went out and checked on it using the method jim suggested and it looks as if it is spot on without any shims, dumb luck I guess.

I'm going to adjust the secondary using the BDX adjuster and then re-check the alignment.

Thanks all

Hyperduc - do you know how to adjust your belt deflection? Are you saying you have a BDX deflection adjuster installed? There is no secondary adjustment used in checking the clutch alignment. Just make sure the sheaves are closed as far as they will go, and you have the secondary all the way in on the spline. I have an AMP deflection adjuster and I put a small amount of tension on the allen bolt that goes through the adjuster to hold the secondary in place. Then I use the alignment tool to check. hope this helps.....

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
Hyperduc - do you know how to adjust your belt deflection? Are you saying you have a BDX deflection adjuster installed? There is no secondary adjustment used in checking the clutch alignment. Just make sure the sheaves are closed as far as they will go, and you have the secondary all the way in on the spline. I have an AMP deflection adjuster and I put a small amount of tension on the allen bolt that goes through the adjuster to hold the secondary in place. Then I use the alignment tool to check. hope this helps.....

This is my 09 M1000. would you say that shimming the secondary out would give me the 1.5 offset? It looks way off..

2009 M1000 alignment.jpg

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I'm still not sure which alignment bar to use on my 05 M7 with a 10.4 secondary retrofit. My dealer told me to use the 1.6 bar. From what I understand I would have to modify the 10.4 to get the 1.5 offset on my older sled with the 10.4.

So basically I ended up with no shims to get the secondary in as far as possible but I really am not posative. The bar does hit the inner sheave on the primary just before it hits the bottem of the clutch meaning I could use a shim but it sounds like I really want it in as close to 1.5 as I can get.

From what I can tell the 10" secondary runs the 1.5,
The 10.4 runs 1.6 up to 09,
The 2010 10.4 runs 1.5 because cat modified the clutch or the gearbox to allow it to set in further.

But I could be wrong.

Premium Features