• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finally! An affordable rear suspension upgrade for '08-'09 XP's

B

big air crash

Dec 21, 2007
St. Louis Park, MN
Doesn't moving the shock mount position back in the rails, increase its angle and therefore reducing its downward push? Now I would expect it to collapse easier and put more weight on the skis which makes it harder to handle and pull over???

On my 08 we moved the top mount position down and slightly back and got the results we wanted. It also aided in reducing rear sagging and lighted the ski pressure.

The Xtreme XP rear suspension upgrade kit effectively upgrades your 2008 and 2009 Ski-Doo Summit "X" or Summit Everest to perform like the 2010 and 2011 sleds. In 2010 Ski-doo finally got the rear suspension set up correctly. The rear suspension on a 2010 and now 2011 summit performs much better than the '08 and '09 summits. The rear Center shock was lengthened and moved back 1" on the rail. This change makes the XP summit roll over and side hill MUCH easier. You will notice substantially less ski pressure and the ability to pull the sled over much easier. This upgrade helps transfer spring pressure from the front shock to the back shock to help the sled jump up on top of the snow much quicker. This also helps remove the "sag" in the rear end that many doo owners have complained about since the '08 came out. With the center (track) shock being longer, the front arm is forced up, which forces the back of the sled up through the pivot and transfer rods. Contrary to popular belief the longer front shock does not make the XP wheelie uncontrollably; in fact it does the opposite. Because the front track shock is now carrying some of the load under power, the rear does not collapse as easily.

What they said. I just did my own kit with the help of Tom at Toms Snowmobile.

B

Burns

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary AB
Doesn't moving the shock mount position back in the rails, increase its angle and therefore reducing its downward push? Now I would expect it to collapse easier and put more weight on the skis which makes it harder to handle and pull over???

On my 08 we moved the top mount position down and slightly back and got the results we wanted. It also aided in reducing rear sagging and lighted the ski pressure.

Do you have the measurements that you used - this is basically the same as what a longer shock and the remount in the rails is doing - just for free.

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
Maybe a dumb question...... but has anyone tried just drilling a new hole 1" back but also 1" higher than the stock holes and remounting there?

Good question, I would like to know also. I have a 2010 xp and a 2009 xp, I am going to do some measuring.

U
I think doing this would make the shock bottom out...Not It...on testing that one. One of the reasons to upgrade is for the longer shock travel.

One thing I keep thinking about, is if it were as easy as drilling a new hole why wouldn't Ski-doo do it? I am honestly not trying to start a battle here, but if really was that easy it would cost them a lot less in production to just drill a new hole. I think there is more to the geometry than we think. Plus the shock travel would be shortened by raising the shock.

Last edited:

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Engineers overlook the silliest of thing some times..... because the shock also carries the spring it is merely changing the range of travel to another location and arc. Yes, I would prefer the longer shock, but I am curious how the relocation would work, and if anyone has tried it.

Griz

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
Finally an affordable rear suspension upgrade kit for '08-'09 XP summits. No need to buy new rails or expensive suspensions, this is a totally bolt on kit. It comes with a new custom rebuild-able center shock and shock relocation brackets. Check it out at www.xtremeairvents.com

I'm confused, in the description it says The rear Center shock was lengthened and moved back 1" on the rail However the picture looks like it was moved forward?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Do you have the measurements that you used - this is basically the same as what a longer shock and the remount in the rails is doing - just for free.

there was a big post on this last season. you simply remove the backing plate at the mount location, flip it and re-rivit it back on so the 3 horizontal holes become vertical. drill the lowest hole which will be about 7/8" back and down. find the thread as it had photos, it was also mentioned in a thread about smittys drop brakets.

Chris

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Good question, I would like to know also. I have a 2010 xp and a 2009 xp, I am going to do some measuring.

We started by moving the lower shock mount forward but after the first season the horizontal shaft was starting to bend slightly. I moved it forward too much. The second season moving the top mount position back and down was the ticket.

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
there was a big post on this last season. you simply remove the backing plate at the mount location, flip it and re-rivit it back on so the 3 horizontal holes become vertical. drill the lowest hole which will be about 7/8" back and down. find the thread as it had photos, it was also mentioned in a thread about smittys drop brakets.

Chris

Do you have an pictures of this, or do you know where to find the thread.

sledhead455

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
So whats the verdict? Does just moving the mounting equal 2010 handling? Does it help it all? Any ill effects? Thanks.

U
It helps a little, but still not the same as a 2010. I tried this and every other conceivable combination last year (including moving the lower shock mount forward) none of them equaled the 2010 suspension. After spending over $2000 last year (tom's kit, ice age rails) on my '09 to get it to ride like a 2010. The Xtreme Air vents kit was a no brainer.

C
Dec 3, 2007
Timberlakes, Utah
Not to be a downer, but $375.00 aint the affordable solution. There is several websites that offer 20% off doo parts and that puts the factory upgrade kit at just $25.00 more and you get the new rails...... Just say'n

Premium Features