• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What can I do to make my XP sidehill better?

R
Oct 3, 2008
Eureka, Montana
I hope no one reads these forms and deciedes not to buy one because they think they won't be able to sidehill.

I almost didn't buy a new summit in 2009 because of all the complaints about the side hilling capabilities. But I did and I will say it took some time getting used to, coming from a rmk edge chassie and not riding for the last five seasons. But after the first three weeks I will never look back. These sleds are not hard to side hill they are just a different animal than what you mite be used to. I believe it is all in each and everyones personal technique. That is what you have to work on, not the sled. The sled is built different than others so you have to ride it different than the others. (It just takes practice and a open mind)

My sled set up.

Front shocks- 3
Rear -2
limiter strap all the way out. (loose)
swap skis
align riser just slightely ahead of steering coloum.(keeps body positioning towards back of sled)

learned those tips from roosterbuilt

But mostely just practice.

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
It's a little tougher in this spring snow....

019.jpg

is that goatridge bowl facing down the valley?

what day?

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
How much did the SLP spindles help?

It was quite noticeable. I did the 2010 rear skid at the same time and the combined difference is good. A few buddies rode it and agreed it made a difference.
FYI i have a buddy who is a very good rider , his xp is set up all wrong... and he can go anywhere he wants. You just have to find the sweet spot and stick with it.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
X2, its all in the rider. Agreed some of these things help(steering post) but once you find it you will never ride anything else. I have seen guys do magic with these machines that are bone stock. Dam motor cross riders!

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
They should axe the Freeride and instead come up with a SideHill edition! :p

Yep^^^

I own both an 07 rev and an 09 XP Hillclimb edition. Compared to an M for me they just take much more effort to get on a sidehill but they can do it. Boondocking through the pines here in SE Idaho can be challenging and very tiring compared to an M chassis for me. There is nothing wrong with Doos, they can sidehill and boondock but for me personally they take way too much effort and I am wore out half way through the day trying to maneuver my sleds through the trees. my next sled will be an 09 or 10 M8

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I haven't ridden a '09 or '10 M8 in the powder to compare, but I love my XP in the powder, couldn't be happier with it in those conditions.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Quick question, I don't mean to hijack.

Riding at 7-10K feet, 180 pound rider with gear on.

2009 XP Summit 154", torsion springs set in softest position, limiter strap in loosest hole, front track spring set as stiff as can be, front springs on #3(will try #2 next year).

When riding in firm snow, the skis barely lift at all on climbs, going dowhill or on a sidehill it feels heavier than hell and the steering is very hard. It also pushes like mad.

I know, I know, put your weight into it and give it throttle, but that's pretty hard to do when the sled either wants to stay with both skis on the ground or flip on it's side, with seemingly no inbetween ground........and yes, I have my feet back on the sled, if I put them any further back my feet would be hanging off the outside of the boards. Bars are also inline with post, 2 wheel kit, previous owner even shaved 3/4" off the outside of the stock ski's(they are not flipped).

I love this sled in the powder, but at the moment, it sucks on firm snow.

rear springs soft/center stiff...and you cant lift the ski"s???? swap skis and put a set of stud boy shaper bar 4" carbides (really helps turning)...BJ

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
Unless you are doing something in conjunction with running the limiter all the way out it will handle TERRIBLY while under power climbing steep hills.

What's the 411 on the rear arm relocate?

A

ACL C3

Aug 27, 2008
Salmon Arm B.C
www.c3powersports.com
C3 Post Forward Kit

The C3 Post Forward Kit relocates the upper steering post mount 3" towards the front of the sled. This allows the riser to be tilted back toward the rider to remain inline with the steering post. The handlebars remain in approximately the same position as they were before installing our kit so the riding position is not changed. However, because the riser is now inline with the steering post, the handlebars turn in a circle rather than an arc.

After installing this kit, you will notice powder turns and sidehilling are greatly improved.

http://www.c3powersports.com/content/xp-post-forward-kit

postforward.JPG

Premium Features