• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fix xp sag billet brackets

A
Nov 27, 2007
Peters Creek, AK
Drop Bracket

rode with the mod on the rear skid all weekend in fernie, works , plain works also did smittys drop brackets, sled handles great, the sag is gone, much smoother suspention now, thanks cory good fix

giddyup

Giddyup...I just ordered a set of rear skid brackets myself. I was thinking about the rear drop brackets and noticed you did it. How did it all work out? Did the brackets bring you right back to stock height without the sag? Smitty makes some good stuff and am considering those brackets. Let me know what you think..Thanks..

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
i real like it, the remount of the back are works, much smoother i like the drop bracket, i think it brings you back close to stock, i also dropped the front mount down about .75 inch, i dont know if you need that now that the drop brackets are lower down, i would recomend the drop bracket with the remount kit, give a better suspention and brings it back to stock clearance in the back, on the 163 the remount drops the back bumper down a couple of inchs. i also still have the next heavyer springs in the back, i had them on 1 should run them on 2, i weight 185 plus gear and i care a fair bit of gear my abs pack weighs 15+ pounds and i care a chainsaw on the tunnel, tight tree riding, let me know what you think once you get yours set up, i know insaneboltrounder is got his set up but has diff. gear and clutch he is heading out this weekend, will have to compare next week.

giddyup

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
So what exactly is the problem these brackets address? I haven't noticed a "sag" or "trenching" problem with my XP, it's a 146.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Peters Creek, AK
i real like it, the remount of the back are works, much smoother i like the drop bracket, i think it brings you back close to stock, i also dropped the front mount down about .75 inch, i dont know if you need that now that the drop brackets are lower down, i would recomend the drop bracket with the remount kit, give a better suspention and brings it back to stock clearance in the back, on the 163 the remount drops the back bumper down a couple of inchs. i also still have the next heavyer springs in the back, i had them on 1 should run them on 2, i weight 185 plus gear and i care a fair bit of gear my abs pack weighs 15+ pounds and i care a chainsaw on the tunnel, tight tree riding, let me know what you think once you get yours set up, i know insaneboltrounder is got his set up but has diff. gear and clutch he is heading out this weekend, will have to compare next week.

giddyup

When you installed your Sag brackets did you buy a new bolt that goes through the lower scissor section and rails? I noticed the extra trickness is kinda stretching to reach and i cant quite get to the nylon portion of the nut. What did you do??

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
that is what i did, i took off the back spring mount to loosen it up, makes it easy if you have two people when you doo this, next one i do i will try the ratchet strap idea.

giddyup

BC-XP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Kamloops
So with the brackets installed, are you still letting the limiter strap out all the way or setting it back to the stock position ?

B
Feb 21, 2009
It doesn't look like it would be too tough to add some metal to the lower portion of the scissor arm, to make it slightly longer, and raise the bumper back up to it's original location.
Wouldn't this put the upper portion of the scissor arm back to its original angle?
What would this do to the geometry of the rear suspension, and potentially do to the ride?

L

lugnut

Sep 21, 2008
Vancouver Island
It doesn't look like it would be too tough to add some metal to the lower portion of the scissor arm, to make it slightly longer, and raise the bumper back up to it's original location.
Wouldn't this put the upper portion of the scissor arm back to its original angle?
What would this do to the geometry of the rear suspension, and potentially do to the ride?

Sounds like alot of work man. I would suggest bolting the kit on and riding it. Lowering the rear end isn't going to hurt the performance like you imagine it might. All of our sleds have run this set-up since we started working with the xp in 08'.

L

lugnut

Sep 21, 2008
Vancouver Island
How are the kits working for everyone that has them? Ill have a bunch with me at revelstoke this weekend. If ya haven't seen them come check them out. Ill have some on my carbon fiber come say hi.

F
Nov 30, 2007
Sexsmith, AB
How are the kits working for everyone that has them? Ill have a bunch with me at revelstoke this weekend. If ya haven't seen them come check them out. Ill have some on my carbon fiber come say hi.

Mine are working great!, I got a chance to try them on Saturday and for once I didn't feel like I had to throw myself over the bars while climbing the mountain. On the 40km trail ride I don't think it changed the ride quality enough to notice.

The 1" lower rear bumper thing is a non-issue, I was with a 04 rev with an 08 XP 163" track and skid set up (don't ask why) and side by side once both sleds have some snow/ice built up in the tunnel, his skid was sagging lower than mine.

All-in-all for 60 bucks it's probably the best mod I've done to my 08 XP.

Good work lugnut and those involved for bringing this to the public.

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB

The brackets cleanup the initial sag on mine. Sled still wants to carry the skiis too high but there is some improvement over stock. Going to try sucking up the limiter.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
We ran these on the 2010 154 today. Without the brackets there was no real sag issue like the '08-'09....BUT it had WAY too much ski lift (even maxed out on rear springs) and trenched on climbs, rear washed out when sidehilling compared to '08-'09.
These turn it into a completely different sled! Keeps the skis down (very controllable, less trenching) even with rear spring on the softest setting! Allows you to attack much steeper terrain and not be "skis to the sky" and have to turn out.
Limiter was in stock hole (3rd from loosest). Din't notice any ill side effects.
I wasn't going to run them on my '08 163 because the sag doesn't bother me, it rides great and I thought it kept the skis down pretty good on a climb.....I can see there is something to be gained and will be trying them out on that sled too!! :beer;

A
Nov 27, 2007
Peters Creek, AK
I ran mine for the first time today aswell. I thought they worked pretty well. They didnt fix the sagging problem like i thought they would but they sure make a lot better ride for the hard hits i come across every now and again. I did add smitty's bracket lift because i didnt want to loose any clearance. Seems to be doing pretty good. I didnt drop the front down like they suggest but its fine i think. So far,so good. Im going to stick with it and se how well it does for the remainder of the season.

D
Sep 10, 2008
How much are these shipped to US northern california 95959
And my sled feels like it bottoms out when I hit some of the trail bumps does this cure that as well?

Last edited:
Premium Features