• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Albany or Greenrock?

S

ski-doo25

Dec 5, 2007
Marcus, IA
Ill be out from the 26th through the 30th and I've always ridden out of Greenrock. I'm kind of looking for something new maybe. What does Albany have to offer that Greenrock doesn't?

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Obvoiusly you can access all the same areas from both trailheads, but to get to the top of the mountain takes longer from Albany and may require you to carry spare fuel or make a stop at one of the other lodges for fuel.

The trees are tighter down near Albany, so you have to look for the meadows a little more than you do up top. The meadows are there, but you have to find them. Albany is not the place to ride from if hill climbing/high marking is what you are looking for.

The Albany parking lot is better sheltered from the wind than Greenrock, and IMO the Albany lodge is easier to access from the majority of the parking area as compared to Snowy Mtn Lodge/Greenrock (you can load up your sleds at the end of the day and walk from the lot to the Albany Lodge to grab a bite to eat)

Most people on this forum prefer Greenrock, but there are a few of us that ride primarily out of Albany.

My suggestion to you would be to try Albany on a day when the wind is blowing like crazy up top. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:
P

pumpnlead

Jan 14, 2008
Nebraska Panhandle
Couldn't agree more! We ride Albany the days that it is flat nasty up high. Much more sheltered in the parking area as well as most of the close riding areas. There are quite a few very good meadows up T trail and some northwest of cinnibar park. Like mentioned above though, if hill climbing is your thing, you will not get that anywhere close to Albany.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
tmk pretty much nailed it.
If you want highmarking, albany is not the place for you.
If you like to explore and don't mind tight trees, it is a blast.
Around christmas and newyears Albany (like everywhere else on the mountain) is nuts. People everywhere.

However, they are easy to lose because most people don't like to tree run.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I always unload at Greenrock. It can get a little tough getting over the top if the weather is bad, but it is still less miles to Lake Marie from Greenrock than it is from Albany to Rob Roy. You can drop into the trees from the top and get out of the wind and still have a full tank of gas.

Premium Features