• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bent Rails - Warranty?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Aluminum loses it's temper once it gets above 212 degrees. To do rails or other critical aluminum parts correctly you can only put them in the oven just long enough for the powder to melt and then take the parts out quick before the metal actually heats up. If you have a powdercoat guy that doesn't know what he is doing with aluminum he will leave the parts in the 350-400 degree oven too long and take the temper right out. A friend of mine had it happen to both front spindles on her new ski-doo this year.

Any issues I've had with BDX since getting the sled have been handled when I call them on the phone. I knew I would be taking the rail issue to them if there was even a chance of it being covered. I only asked here to see if anyone had ever had a set covered through an OEM or their dealer. My initial thoughts are holding true that this one is on me.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Can somebody please explain how powder coating weakens the rail ?.....Just when you thought you've heard it all. :face-icon-small-sho

DPG
boondocker97 nailed it from the tech side

Those are classic powdercoated wobbles as well. bend an OEM or Ice Age rail, they dont wobble like that. Bend a powdercoated rail, they look like a squirming little worm. big wobbles in and out.

There is a reason all of the OEM's paint their rails!

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Aluminum loses it's temper once it gets above 212 degrees. To do rails or other critical aluminum parts correctly you can only put them in the oven just long enough for the powder to melt and then take the parts out quick before the metal actually heats up. If you have a powdercoat guy that doesn't know what he is doing with aluminum he will leave the parts in the 350-400 degree oven too long and take the temper right out. A friend of mine had it happen to both front spindles on her new ski-doo this year.

Any issues I've had with BDX since getting the sled have been handled when I call them on the phone. I knew I would be taking the rail issue to them if there was even a chance of it being covered. I only asked here to see if anyone had ever had a set covered through an OEM or their dealer. My initial thoughts are holding true that this one is on me.

Rails are a tough warranty as most damage is landing on something. Give me a call and I can at least help you out on new rails.

Jeff

ijstjohn

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2008
North Idaho
Rail Braces

Arctic Cat does actually make a good set of rail braces, however they are very hard to get a hold of if you are not a Team Arctic Racer. See rails in the photo. So if you know someone that knows someone's friends brother that races in the RMSHA circuit you may be able to get a set. If not I'd go ICE AGE. For the price of a new set of OEM rails and these style braces it'd be better to go aftermarket.

RLT_0260-M.jpg

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Arctic Cat does actually make a good set of rail braces, however they are very hard to get a hold of if you are not a Team Arctic Racer. See rails in the photo. So if you know someone that knows someone's friends brother that races in the RMSHA circuit you may be able to get a set. If not I'd go ICE AGE. For the price of a new set of OEM rails and these style braces it'd be better to go aftermarket.

Might as well go aftermarket regardless. Those 'braces' alone should tell Cat that they are building swiss cheese for rails. That's the most intense set of braces I've ever seen.

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
Like the old saying. Fix it once. Fix it right.

"Bombers" for those who want the best money can buy

20140605_165742_zpsrqsvsqef.jpg

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
i agree on the bombers...i have a set,the oem rails are terrible on all the brands..

Premium Features