• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

40" Stance requirements

G
Nov 24, 2008
SK, Canada
Sorry if this topic has been covered before but I haven't been able to find out exactly what I need to change my xf high country from 42 to 40 inch stance? Do I just need a set of 40 inch A arms and shorter tie rods? Will my stock float shocks work with the new stance or do they need to be modified?

Thanks in advance!

SHOOT DEERE IT IS

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2013
WI
I just traded my '14 High Country for a 15 M. I had 40" arms on there that I just took off and would be willing to sell.

Take swaybar off, install 40" arms and tie rods, and ride. Shocks are not an issue until going to 38":face-icon-small-win

B
Dec 21, 2013
In the Cat accessory book it has a kit to narrow a 40" stance to 38" The description says kit includes upper and lower A-arms, tie-rod tubes, and shock spacers. It states that the kit requires rebuilding shocks to add a spacer to shorten travel.
If I recall from the sled book, the specs say each 2" narrowing of the stance results in 1/2" less front suspension travel.
Although it can, and probably will work, if I were doing the change (which I am considering to my 14 HC) I would do the shock spacers as well.
I can see myself bottoming the front end hard one day and wrecking one or both shocks!

G
Nov 24, 2008
SK, Canada
You may be right. Everywhere I have read claims that the shocks are ok from 42" to 40" stance, but need spacers for going to 38". SHOOT DEERE IT IS, did you put alot of miles on your High Country with the 40" stance and regular float shocks?

Premium Features