• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

00' 800Rmk mods. suggestions pls

M
Nov 25, 2009
Laramie Wyoming.
I have an 800 Rmk 144 the tunnel says it was orginally a 136, the sled came out of Buckys in Pinedale as a 144 I don't know if they did a drop and roll or what. I am running a 2 inch paddle. I love the way this chasis handles but it seems to trench, doesn't want to get up . I have to feather the throttle in deep snow. I have the tough/big boy bearing and a welded crank, reworked clutch, all thanks to Indy Dan, but I want more track without digging a hole, My question is,,,, Did they just move the suspension back? And what is a drop and roll? and how do I tell if it was done? I have already read the thread on getting the nose up closer to the IQ height and like what I have read on that but I am still confused as to the drop and roll thing. Any help would be apprecieated.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Drop and roll

You should be able to look at the area where the jack shaft is mounted to the bulk head and tell if it's been dropped. You will see additional mounting holes for the drive side bearing. May need to remove the air box to see it on the chaincase side. Also depending on what roll they did, the chain case may be notched into the right foot rest. Some of the rolls actually move the jack shaft down into the top of the tunnel. Also if it's using a different belt from stock then that could be a hint. If the rear suspension is bolted into holes further back in the tunnel then that is a indicator too but not necessarily a dead give away.

Lots of opinions on trenching. First I would try moving the front track shock into the flatest position and sofening up the preload on it. This will allow more weight transfer. You can also drop the front of the suspension down this will lighten up the front when you start out again adding to transfer.

What gearing do you have? I have geared sleds down before which allows you to ease them out in the powder. Throttle management here. Don't need to peg it to get it to move. Powder riding is not so much about track speed, more about traction so if you can ease into it without spinning the track it won't trench.

Last edited:
K
Mar 20, 2009
Whitehorse Yukon
My stock polaris track also trenched bad. When I extended the 136 to 151 I went with an artic cat chalenger and what a difference. Also SLP sells a bolt on bracket that lays the front shock down a bit that helps the Gen2's get on top of the snow.

I

itsallgood

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs
Those rails are weak. If you do any jumping they won't last. You can make the edge rails work if you go to a longer track or when you tear up those Extra light (flimsy) rails.

You may also change your primary spring to lower the engagement RPM to help w/ the trenching.

Premium Features