• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

stripped out set screw

WFOWA

Lifetime Membership
Jun 10, 2008
SOCO
so changing the weights around in the primary. One set screw seemed pretty tight. so I held the blow dryer to it for a few minutes. Took the allen wrench to it and stripped it out. It doesn't want to budge. Do I need to drill it out or is there a better option?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
A blow dryer is for teasing your hair not your set screws silly!

Get a tiny drill bit and drill a hole in the center of it. The get an ez out in there, heat it up with a small handheld torch, and it will come out. Make sure your hole is centered and make sure she is hot so the loc tite is loosened up.

WFOWA

Lifetime Membership
Jun 10, 2008
SOCO
HAHA!!! I know :) I am a sad excuse for a mechanic. Torch has wandered off on me. The 68 grammer got sacrificed by the drill. No easy outs in this guys garage. I hope to run some aftermarket weights soon enough. Thanks for the advice though.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Had this same problem on mine. Drilled a small hole heated it up than broke the easy out in the set screw. Now what to do? Punt?

J

jakim

Sep 23, 2009
Plug weld a nut to the set screw and use a socket. That's what I did.

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
I would think that you might be able to spin the pin in the weight with enough force. Try it, the worst you could do is twist the head off the bolt. If all else fails, a pair of steady hands could get a 4inch cut off wheel on an angle grinder in beteween the weight and the clutch tower to cut the pin. Do that on both sides and get a new pin and weight and you'll be set.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Yes

Yes I have done this a couple of time CPC weights are very famous for it. I just hook impact to the bolt till spins free the put force on bolt till it move out of weight while spinning. No real need for heat.

I have to say the blow dryer that is funny.:rofl: I use little torch and only use the long end of wrench if that does not work I get the tourch out cherry the screw and then it comes out.

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
heat and a small Lh drill bit at high speed often gets them out keeping the threads in good shape as long a you use a smaller bit then the threads and just slightly larger then the hex size

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Thanks MM. They do happen to be CPC wieghts. Why is this a known fact with them? Can it be cured?

Chapman

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Milford Ia
An 1/8" drill bit will take out enough meat of the set screw for you to be able to get the rest of it out with a pick, and still leave the threads of the weights in tact. X2 on the cutler weights :face-icon-small-fro

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
CPC cure

Yes there are ways to avoid this.
1- Do not use them. LOL
2- Use more lock tight it will help them not rust in use RED

The problem is they do not coat them or treat them.

I have to be honest if a sled come in my shop and they want me to tune it they are the first thing to go. So if need some I have some cheap.

Thanks MM. They do happen to be CPC wieghts. Why is this a known fact with them? Can it be cured?

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
What if I was to buy the Cat set screws? Have you tried that?
I actually don't mind the wieghts themselves but I have to be able to get the damn set screws out.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
I have run lots of the cutler weights, and had no issues with the set screws not coming out. Once in a while they like to do it on their own. (just like the stock cat ones) A small propane torch and about 25 seconds worth of heat directly on the screw and they will come out. Definitely use red loctite and make sure the set screw is centered in the divot on the bolt when you install and all will be good. Oh, and a good quality alan wrench.:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features