• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker new turbocharger

M
Aug 4, 2016
So how does everyone feel about boondockers all new turbo?
Just a couple thoughts,,
Why switch #1 brand Garret to something that's not proven?
Should we expect some performance/reliability losses?
Is the price of the kit going to reflect this Chinese turbo?

attachment.php

Bdcntbro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Normally I'm not a fan of cheap components like this, but then it does occur to me that a snowmobile isn't likely to see enough miles to wear out a properly sized and set up turbo – especially a sled that's pushing the limits of the engine and chassis. Of course, you get what you pay for and there's more chance of it blowing up, but you're probably not going with a turbo if durability is a major concern. This is assuming the kit is significantly cheaper. If it's not, then no way.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
This turbo just made highly quality product even better. A turbo spec’d by Boondocker. Instead of being at the mercy of what’s out there. Plus my understanding is it’s rebuildable. HUGE bonus.

I give Boondocker props for going out and doing something we wanted a long long time ago. Improved performance and rebuildability. I can not wait to get my hands on one.

Last edited:
M
Aug 4, 2016
Curious why you would call it a Chinese turbo?? (sincere question)

I worked at an after market Import Performance shop for many many years and have seen 1000 of turbos and can say this is an Chinese turbo charger they are offering with 100% certainty, Of course they will market its US made. With MTNTK, Turbo Performance and Silber offering an affordable turbo option, is this a way for BD to become more competitive with price?

I would gladly disassemble one of these new turbochargers to show anyone interested.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I worked at an after market Import Performance shop for many many years and have seen 1000 of turbos and can say this is an Chinese turbo charger they are offering with 100% certainty, Of course they will market its US made. With MTNTK, Turbo Performance and Silber offering an affordable turbo option, is this a way for BD to become more competitive with price?

I would gladly disassemble one of these new turbochargers to show anyone interested.

[Deleted]

Grabbing popcorn.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

While I understand that you are working to inform our readers... I've not seen any solid information to back up the claim that they are not US made...

I'm sure over this season, we will have the opportunity to more closely examine and dissect this turbo...compare and also see if the kits hold up over this season to come.

I've edited the title of this thread... but welcome any actual, fact based, information to be posted here.

Looks to me like BD is working at making new product options for us sledders and the market will decide if it is the right direction.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Boondocker Turbo

It clearly states that it is manufactured in North America and not assembled. I love the fact that they are using nickel based alloys on the exhaust housing...I hate the 2nd season rust. The smaller garret automotive turbos that have been used in power sports applications are just that...turbos designed for automotive applications that have been made to work on power sports. The advantage to working with a manufacturer is that you get start by computer modeling the turbo to your needs. This allows you to address the little things like eliminating boost spike issues and designing the internal gate system to properly controls boost at lower rates(a bonus for the low elevation guys).

Some specifics:

BoonDocker BD F47 Turbo Specs
•Performance and size match the GT 2860RS
•Larger, more efficient wastegate
•Improved boost control range
•Corrosion-resistant alloys, across the entire kit
•Rebuildable components
•High-quality, ball-bearing construction
•Built in North America

M
Aug 4, 2016
Sorry , didn't mean to offend you. Nearly wanted to see others opinions on this knock off turbo. Didn't know the title of my post could be changed Because someone disagreed with my opinion?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Sorry , didn't mean to offend you. Nearly wanted to see others opinions on this knock off turbo. Didn't know the title of my post could be changed Because someone disagreed with my opinion?

Welcome to Snowest...lol

Doesn't it say assembled in US? Not manufactured in US? Just pointing out a crucial detail.

Assembled vs manufactured are very different.

M
Aug 4, 2016
Welcome to Snowest...lol

Doesn't it say assembled in US? Not manufactured in US? Just pointing out a crucial detail.

Assembled vs manufactured are very different.

They stated in a video they are now in the turbo manufacturing business. , and yes imported then assembled one would believe.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Making the wastegate bigger is not new... I had to machine out my internal wastegates before just to control the boost at low elevation. This is why I was more than happy to switch to external. In the past if you went to BD for Low elevation kit they would steer you to the race kit with a external which cost a lot more. They have now found a cost effective way to sell their internal kit to more areas. Silber has been making it affordable to purchase a External wastegate setup for sometime now, and has been SS to boot.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
evolution

Don't quote me but I believe MPI/SLP ports the waste gate on there low elevation kits as well. I do love the SS exhaust.

It has been fun to watch the evolution of turbo kits in this industry. 10 years ago we were farming together kits on 2 stroke carbed skidoo's with a 2871 garret and managing fuel with power jets and a fuel pressure regulator.

Premium Features