• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Warranty Question: Out of pocket for "Diagnostics"???

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
Ok, So I am putting this one out to the masses because what I was told at the dealership today sounded like nonsense to me... I just moved to Portland, OR from Alaska (where I had a good dealer). I got the reverse update done at a dealer near Portland, and now it doesnt work anymore. It DID work about 3 times after I picked the sled up.

Anyways, I was told that Arctic Cat Warranty does not pay for any shop time spent on "Diagnostics", and thus I would have to pay for whatever time the shop spends taking apart the chaincase and figuring out why my reverse doesnt work anymore...

That sounds like nonsense to me. Are they just trying to screw me? I shouldnt have to pay the dealer for diagnostics time (at $90 an hour).

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Technically cat pays for a certain amount of time for any warranty or update repair. No self respecting dealer would charge you separately for figuring out what is wrong with a broken part that has a manufacturer update or warranty claim.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
tell them that if you have to pay them 90 bucks an hour "figuring things out" that you then want 90 bucks an hour rent supplying the sled for their on the job training

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
Are you saying they did the reverse update? Arctic cat should warranty anything that breaks or doesnt work and the dealer should warranty their own work. If they charge you a penny phone A/C and complain. That is B/S in my opinion.

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
Yeah. They did the reverse update. It worked when I picked it up from them a month ago. 3 rides later and it doesnt work at all now. Before the update at least it would work half the time.

But I swear, they told me I would have to pay labor for any "diagnostic time" spent to figure out why reverse isnt working... i.e., taking the chaincase apart and whatever else they need to do to figure it out.

I've never heard of such a thing.

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
i know the dealer you speak of, i live very close to them and drive right past them and 4 hours down the road to a very good dealer in baker city oregon...

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
although the lady that works the counter their is a little crazy!!!!!!
her dad has excellent customer service skills and their mechaninc is top notch,, wish their skills would rub off on her!!!:face-icon-small-sho

shadow conspiracy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Quesnel, B.C.
my sled has done this a few time as well since the update. I brought it in to the dealer the first time it happened and all he did to get it working was unplug the reverse and plug it back in and it started working again.

FreeAgent

Lifetime Membership
May 28, 2008
although the lady that works the counter their is a little crazy!!!!!!
her dad has excellent customer service skills and their mechaninc is top notch,, wish their skills would rub off on her!!!:face-icon-small-sho

Ohhhh you are so BUSTED!!!!!!

FreeAgent

Lifetime Membership
May 28, 2008
Can you shed light on/clarify if what Pacific Boatland told me is correct? I know you work for the baker city Arctic Cat dealer.

Thanks
Evan

I work for and own the BC dealership :) ok so basically if they did the recall work then they are responsible for getting it working NOT you! Your sled 1. Is still under warranty 2. Cat pays us for diagnostic it's call "additional labor" we as dealers just have to request it on the claim. I see no reason for them to charge you at all for anything they do to FIX what is wrong with your sled. They may charge a 50.00 deductible if you are out of factory warranty and have rolled into you extended but I just don't understand why they won't "fix" it since they were the last ones in your reverse. If you want get me your vin number and your current milage and I can make a call to see what cat wants you todo if I need to get pre authorization I can go about doing that as well. Pm me you name and contact info I may have a arctic cat rep call you tomorrow.

In other words I'm going to light a fire under someone's A$$ and get this handled :)

Shell

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
On a more serious note though, the fact that she's taking care of an issue NOT at her dealership, NOT in her town, for someone who did NOT buy a sled from her... kinda shows why we all go to her when we need stuff. This isn't the first time Michelle has made right something that some other dealer did that was weasly, to no profit of her own, just doing the right thing.

FreeAgent

Lifetime Membership
May 28, 2008
On a more serious note though, the fact that she's taking care of an issue NOT at her dealership, NOT in her town, for someone who did NOT buy a sled from her... kinda shows why we all go to her when we need stuff. This isn't the first time Michelle has made right something that some other dealer did that was weasly, to no profit of her own, just doing the right thing.

On my vacation I might add ;-) no worries not a big deal definitely not gonna make friends with the other guy that's for sure.....

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
On my vacation I might add ;-) no worries not a big deal definitely not gonna make friends with the other guy that's for sure.....

Thanks for your response to my issues with the vancouver, wa dealership. They didnt say they wouldnt fix it, they just told me that I would be responsible for the cost of "diagnostic time" spent on labor, i.e., taking the chain case apart and looking into it. They also told me that I would be financially responsible for paying for the engine oil when they work on it. When I had the update kit done, they made me pay for the engine oil and a half hours labor for an "oil change".

Anyways, I would rather not go to them again. I called the dealership in Salem and they said they would fix it at no cost to me. The only issue they said was that if the initial update kit was done incorrectly than it would be on the original dealership that screwed it up to fix it.

Premium Features