• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Warranty

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
I think warranty on a sled that you ride out west is mostly silly, at least for the way I ride. I go out for 3-5 days at a time typically and usually over a weekend. If I had a failure on my sled, I don’t believe for a minute the local dealer wherever I’m riding would be able to get it in and fixed before I leave. So I can spend $200/day renting while I wait for the dealer to get it in or buy the parts to fix it and maybe lose a day of riding fixing it myself. The only thing I’d want is maybe a six month warranty to help limit cost if there is a major engine issue that’s an obvious manufactur issue. If I get through the first or second ride, I’m confident in the sled and anything that goes wrong I’m probably going to just fix myself anyway. I haven’t seen the level of service needed anywhere for the short season and quick turn around I would need living 1000 miles from the mountains.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
4 year bumper to bumper on snowcheck from poo and doo what more can u want? Unlimited mileage makes me smile!! Wish my vehicles came with an unlimited mileage warranty. I would very unhappy if there was mileage limit to my warranty, the warranty is why I buy a new sled every 3 years, trade it with some warranty and get decent money back.

Cat has the same. Snowcheck options were 4 year or 2 year with some money for gear when I bought my Alpha.

S
Jan 28, 2015
I think warranty on a sled that you ride out west is mostly silly, at least for the way I ride. I go out for 3-5 days at a time typically and usually over a weekend. If I had a failure on my sled, I don’t believe for a minute the local dealer wherever I’m riding would be able to get it in and fixed before I leave. So I can spend $200/day renting while I wait for the dealer to get it in or buy the parts to fix it and maybe lose a day of riding fixing it myself. The only thing I’d want is maybe a six month warranty to help limit cost if there is a major engine issue that’s an obvious manufactur issue. If I get through the first or second ride, I’m confident in the sled and anything that goes wrong I’m probably going to just fix myself anyway. I haven’t seen the level of service needed anywhere for the short season and quick turn around I would need living 1000 miles from the mountains.

BRP covered a rental for a friend when he had a bolt break in his chaincase in a new sled. They gave him less to rent a cat then they would have for a doo but I was still surprised to see them reimburse him.

I love the peace of mind of bumper to bumper warranty but I average 2k miles per year. If I put on low miles say under 500 per year I would buy non current for the big savings be ok with only a year of warranty!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Couple things to keep in mind. When they have snow check offers with warranties od 2,3,4 yrs. MOST of the time, only the first yr is covered directly by the manufacture, then the contract gets ran through their own extended warranty program. Read all the fine print.... It can get complicated, and a good dealer makes all the difference. They have to know how to get things covered.

I fall onto the other side of the fence here. I would have no problem buying a new sled with no warranty to save a few grand.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I understand and even agree with incentivising snow check. It's a great business concept to capture as much of the market as possible pre-production.

But for myself (and I would assume many folks on here) it is financially irresponsible to commit to purchasing a "luxury" item before I even begin to start making my seasons income. Such a purchase really should come at the close of the income season. Kind of a self reward for a successful year.

However, I certainly don't want my customers using that rationale! :face-icon-small-win

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Given your one trip and 100 miles per year, it might make a lot of sense to rent.

Just my $.02

Yes, that's the smart move, but being a snowmobiler and being smart don't really go hand in hand.
There's something inside of us that would want to own a sled even when we're done riding.

I think my intent in starting this thread was to see how many people mirrored my sentiment.
I thought if enough people were in the same position it would be worth further consideration. I still think that there's a higher percentage than represented in this thread, but yet a small enough group to realize that I'd be pissing in the wind.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Mileage is only one-half the of the warranty equation, time is the other factor that takes its a toll on all components: rubber hoses dry out and crack, plastic becomes brittle and breaks more easily, vinyl rots, foam disintegrates, and the list goes on from here.....

Additionally, what OEM could absorb an open-ended warranty liability of thousands of low mile sleds sitting around rotting.

Merry Christmas to all of you sitting around on Christmas Day on the SnoWest Forum..........now get off your computer and interact with those around.....HOHOHO.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Buy a leftover in Jan or early Feb. I bought my 16 M8000 in January of 16, rebate, plus a 4 year warranty.

Premium Features