• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why I started riding Yamaha again

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
So just wanted to do a blurb on why I went back to Yamaha, compared to the previous sleds I have owned. First off I’ve been riding since I was able to walk....now in my 40’s, ive seen a lot change in the sledding industry. It’s actually amazing the technology available for the these sleds. Reliability isnt even a question anymore...they just flat out work.

I grew up on a snojet sst440 and a 1986 Yamaha Enticer. Drove those sleds until you could see Saskatchewan stubble through the skis....Lol. From there I bought my very first brand new sled...1995 Yamaha Vmax 600...this sled is what I had when I transitioned from flat farm riding, to the mountains. Wow...big eye opener there. From there I went to a new 1997 Skidoo 670 summit...man this thing was night and day difference in the mountains, compared to the Vmax 600. Then I bought a used 1999 Polaris rmk 700...ended up installing a 151 on it and it worked well.

A buddy of mine bought a Yamaha RX1 and we all laughed...man that thing is a tank. Then he turbocharged it and did some chassis work....ahhh yeah...I want one.....unbelievable...the power was addictive. So, I sold the Polaris and bought a 2006 Yamaha Apex turbo...this sled was a lot of fun...road it for almost 6 year. Had done quite a bit of modding to it in that time. The downfall to this sled was it’s weight...so I traded it for a used 2008 Yamaha nytro...I can honestly say this sled wasn’t that much fun...I think it’s was mostly because of the m10 rear suspension, but I was pretty excited the day I seen it leave.

From there I bought a used 2013 pro rmk and used 2015 skidoo xm summit 174. Out of all these sleds handling wise the skidoo xm was the funnest sled I rode to date. Power wise and just all around thrills would go to the the apex forsure........But, I wasn’t completely happy with these sleds...at 230 plus gear.... I alway felt the 800 two stroke mill just wasn’t powerful enough. I rode a few buddies 2 stroke turbos , but never did care for the throttle response and reliability was always in the back of my mind. Plus your sticking more money to make them work. So what to do...mmmm the Yamaha Viper with a turbo didn’t sound very appealing from what I read. Plus again I was tired of sinking money into a sled just to try to make it work better.

Yamaha introduces the Sidewinder...factory turbo...hmmm. People were pretty skeptical with any Yamaha mountain sled at this point due to the weight penalty....even the couple dealers I talked to weren’t pushing them at all...they actually didn’t really know much about them. So I started digging for some answers. I heard that the Yamaha demo tour coming locally...ah...yeah ...I need to try one of these for Myself and form my own opinion.

Well all I can say is the rest is history...you can read a detailed report on what I thought about the sled in my other post here. This sled is everything I was looking for ...perfect power and great handling. The power is smooth and manageable, compared to the arm ripping power of previous turbo 4 strokes I’ve had.

We typically ride steep trees in our group......I still get impressed with what this sled is capable of...just when I think..nope not going to make it out...it does it with ease. Is it heavier than a 2 stroke...yes, but not by much wet and in the snow. The biggest way I gauged riding this sled was...at the end of the day I wasn’t dog dead tired ...like the apex days...... Still felt great.

So after a full winter I still am truly amazed how this sled works, and until you try one ...you won’t know what your missing out on.
DA623F25-D61A-49BE-A585-931D5241B52B_zpsla2catsd.jpeg

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If Yamaha Corporate ever decided they wanted to OWN the market segment, and put all of their engineers to work on REDUCING the weight of the sled, they could take the dang market.

NO ONE that has ever ridden a boosted Yamaha has anything but a PERMA-GRIN on their face from the power.

The sleds handle great.
But once they get stuck, its just a lot more work to UNstuck them.

I have had a Turbo Nytro, a Supercharged Nytro, 2 Phazers and a 275hp Turbo Viper. Each of them has a special place in my heart.

But at 55, I found myself coming off the mountain at the end of the day EXHAUSTED. And that was my reason for jumping over to the Ski-Doo 850s 2 seasons ago.

But I have NEVER had a sled that performed like that 275hp Viper did.
It was like riding a BAT OUT OF HELL.
And the Sound.
OMG the sound was like angels singing...
Nothing on the mountain sounded so sweet as that sled running WIDE OPEN climbing up a mountain side...

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
I started this thread for a couple reasons.....First off, people keep asking why did I go back to a heavier 4 stroke sled? and how do I like it? Second, for people that have went back to Yamaha or have stayed for that matter...what are the main reasons you chose to ride a Yamaha? Power, price, reliability, just because...etc

For myself....I’ve pretty much stated the reasons why over various post, but to sum it up it’s a very exciting sled to ride, 4 stroke longevity and reliability, great handling, didn’t need to sink a pile of money into it to get what I was looking for, and it’s different then what everyone else is riding typically in our area.

So let here why you have made the switch and post some pictures of your iron.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
If Yamaha Corporate ever decided they wanted to OWN the market segment, and put all of their engineers to work on REDUCING the weight of the sled, they could take the dang market.

NO ONE that has ever ridden a boosted Yamaha has anything but a PERMA-GRIN on their face from the power.

The sleds handle great.
But once they get stuck, its just a lot more work to UNstuck them.

I have had a Turbo Nytro, a Supercharged Nytro, 2 Phazers and a 275hp Turbo Viper. Each of them has a special place in my heart.

But at 55, I found myself coming off the mountain at the end of the day EXHAUSTED. And that was my reason for jumping over to the Ski-Doo 850s 2 seasons ago.

But I have NEVER had a sled that performed like that 275hp Viper did.
It was like riding a BAT OUT OF HELL.
And the Sound.
OMG the sound was like angels singing...
Nothing on the mountain sounded so sweet as that sled running WIDE OPEN climbing up a mountain side...
Beg to differ. Nothing sounds better than a 300+ hp Apex

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Pretty cool. I often thought it would be cool to have one with a nice exhaust. However, where I do most of my riding is at sea level and fairly flat so the 800 or 850 Axys is more than enough machine. We don't loose the HP here that we do out west at elevation. My sled feels more like a 600 at elevation.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I've never been opposed to the idea of a Yamaha sled, but the weight is still the issue. The current crop of 2-stroke sleds just keep getting that much lighter, and as best as I can tell, the new Sidewinder's still weigh about what the old 900 RMKs did.

Has anyone done a full on wet weight ready to ride comparison of a sidewinder, a new Polaris, Cat, or SKidoo? I'd bet its still 70+ lbs heavier, and that weight is all right on the skis ....

I mean the motor and reliability has never been an issue, but how do you get that without the incredible amount of extra weight?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Beg to differ. Nothing sounds better than a 300+ hp Apex
Agree!
My Apex was only 240hp but had custom under tunnel exhaust with a side outlet. that things was SWEEEEET!

I was a diehard yamaha guy from 1988 to 2012, on a 4 stroke for the the last 6 of those years. Very slim chance I would ever go back to a 4 stroke due to the weight. Last time I checked, the yamaha was 100lbs heavier then polaris. Until they get that down to 20-30lbs I wont even give it a thought. And I'm talking weight as it comes from the factory, not after you change this and that and blow several grand taking weight off....been there, done that.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Put me in the camp that doesn't really care who built it if it works. I would try a Yammi IF, the weight penalty was MUCH smaller than the current 100 lbs and the price was a couple grand less. They are a lot heavier and msrp is over $16k. They run the same chassis as the Cat I am on and the Cat 800 2 stroke is a pretty reliable motor with enough power to do what I need in a much lighter, less expensive package. That would explain why I am not on Yamaha...

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
As I appreciate the feedback on why you don’t own one...I was hoping to attract people that currently have one and why they chose to overlook the weight penalty. Don’t get me wrong I wish it was lighter also, but the 4s power and torque makes me soon forget.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As I appreciate the feedback on why you don’t own one...I was hoping to attract people that currently have one and why they chose to overlook the weight penalty. Don’t get me wrong I wish it was lighter also, but the 4s power and torque makes me soon forget.
It's still early in the season.
Lets keep this thread running for a couple months and see what kind of responses you build up over time.

There is still plenty of love out there for yamis..

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Yeah really hoping to see why people are riding yammie’s now ...like hearing the history stories on what led them to ride one.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018

I think trying to overlook the weight is a pretty rare thing in the mountain segment. Both of the dealers local to me have stopped carrying Yamaha sleds, they just can not sell them. They LOVE selling Yamaha bikes but the truth is nobody was buying the sleds so they dropped them, which is a little sad I think.

I agree with Christopher, if I was riding the flat lands I would have a turbo Yammi. Lots of miles of trail, no need to carry 2 stroke oil, stupid power. I think that is the perfect application. Or, if you live in the west and still enjoy making big climbs, a Yammi might suit you. The current rage of boondocking and tree riding though makes the weight an issue.

I would love to see them close the weight gap. I would love to see all of them get down to Axys weight. I can feel the difference between my Axys and Mtn Cat. There would be no ignoring the weight of the 4 stroke for me. The sidewinder is a great product but I wish you best of luck finding a fan base amongst todays mtn riders.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
I agree that throwing around a Axys or a Sidewinder is completely different beast....my whole riding career has been in the trees...way before it’s was a thing. Lol. Riding the Sidewinder there you definitely need commitment...lol....but I have a lot of fun....yes at times I wonder “wtf am I doing in here” ...... I guess I like the challenge compared to riding the other 3 mountain sleds.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Like the challenge huh? So it would be safe to assume if you had a dirt bike it would be an 800 lb Harley on knobbies because you "like the challenge"?

Lets face the facts, the sidewinder is a great idea with a half hearted execution. Factory turbo 4 stroke sounds great but they simply do not sell regardless of who is building it because of the excessive weight penalty. The vast majority of riders seem to prefer light 2 stroke sleds as evidenced by sales. I do not think that means all of us on light 2 stroke sleds do not enjoy the challenge of horsing them through the trees. Maybe we just enjoy less abuse of our bodies? Maybe we know if we really need power, a turbo 2 stroke is still much lighter and just as powerful as a heavy 4 stroke turbo.

They are novel but, way behind in the game over that one simple factor, weight. It is a very small minority willing to beat themselves up trying to ride a 650 lb sled when there are 500 lb sleds out there for thousands less, or the same money with a turbo.

Good Luck finding those who think the weight doesn't matter. It is a very small club because power alone does not a good mtn sled make.

Last edited:

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
I do understand that people feel compelled to reply to these threads on why they don’t like something....that’s just human nature to be negative ...again that wasn’t the purpose of this. I get it it’s heavier than the comparable 2 stoke...no one is denying that...so can we put that to bed please. Yes maybe it’s an anomaly that I say I enjoy riding this sled....

How did you know that I have a Harley Davidson dirt bike. Geez

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I do understand that people feel compelled to reply to these threads on why they don’t like something....that’s just human nature to be negative ...again that wasn’t the purpose of this. I get it it’s heavier than the comparable 2 stoke...no one is denying that...so can we put that to bed please. Yes maybe it’s an anomaly that I say I enjoy riding this sled....

How did you know that I have a Harley Davidson dirt bike. Geez

The Harley dirt bike just made sense...

I don't think you can put the elephant in the room to bed. That is why the Yammi section is dead and you aren't finding a bunch of people like yourself responding here. I think the extra 100 lbs is the ONLY reason Yammi doesn't sell a bunch of Sidewinders. It is the ONLY reason why you do not have a bunch of people jumping on your bandwagon...

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Thanks BiG10inch for your help in keeping this post going forward, I can definitely appreciate your take on things.

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
Fun to ride

I'm 300 with my gear 6'6" tall, I used to ride chutes, now I just play anywhere there is powder. Is a Yamaha heavier sure, but again I'm 300 riding so I can throw it around and have never had issues going where my buddies t3 or pros go. Plus it's really nice to do an oil change once every 2500 miles, and not have to rebuild the top end. I have 4 of them, and other than some skis and shock springs, they're stock. My boys and wife ride them too but they are more trail riders than I am. They love the electric start no 2 stroke smell and the fact they enjoy riding them and can get off trail without issues is nice. They aren't for everyone. But because I expect these to last me 10 years I can mod them later on if I choose to. Alot of off trail ability has to do with the setup. I am sure people can out ride me in the trees but I can get there even with my sled. I have ridden 2 strokes, even the new 850's, I'm just not impressed with the power at 9500 ft. Alot of that has to do with my size, and yes they are simple to throw around, but I guess power at elevation is still my driving factor. Ride what you enjoy.......

Last edited:
Premium Features