• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Detailed pics of the 2018 Early release changes

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
- Engagement is right at 3450-3500rpm.

- The plastics on the hood that feed the big vents looks like it's gonna have issues with breaking or catching on trees/snow and breaking. Belly pan has a little area in front to help float, but looks like it can break too.

- Nice fuel panel, they are using the exact same relays that are failing in the axys though, but look much more protected from moisture. There is a cover that goes over it, just took it off for a pic.

- The driveshaft on this demo was steel still. Hard to tell if jackshaft is hollowed.

- No adjustment on deflection on the secondary. There is a plastic support on the plastics so the side panels don't push into the clutches.

- Intakes frogzskins on top and bottom are different, and look like an even better design.

- Side panels are 1lb lighter than the Skinz helium side panels. Side panels look great in person. Very sleek and look to flow perfect with the spindles. It's gonna go through pow and steep sidehills well.

- More room in front of primary to get belt off. Belt is 111. Looks like a similar material to the 083, but slightly different. Definitely looks like a better non glazing material compared to the 084. I think this will be a good belt.

- Headlights are halogen on the demo

- A straight T30 Torx screw driver in your tool kit will work much better than the right angle tool they give you to get the hood off

Last edited:
S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
Great write up, my stuck at work (camp job) till Tuesday night and won't get to see it till Wednesday. A buddy of mine also said that nose piece looks like I will break have to wait and see?
Why is it that the demo doesn't have the aluminum drive shaft? Or the LED light? How does the engine sound did you get to try it?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Needs a different front bumper or you'll for sure crunch the plastics that protrude out.

Engine sounds real quiet and crisp. Easier to pull start too

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
This kind of thing

20170209_125708_zps3xldnz5y.jpg

again makes me think they need designers that don't live in the Midwest. #notracist

Other than the still gargantuan oil tank that won't go away for some reason the rest looks legit.

ijstjohn

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2008
North Idaho
I thought that the nose piece looked odd like it was almost sticking out past the bumper. An aftermarket bumper will probably take care of it but they should have cut those tips back a bit. I'm riding one tomorrow I'll report back.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
the venting is looking good imo. now that i see the mesh on the big scoops. it all clogs up in powder anyways. if it gets some of the engine heat pushed back to the rider on those cold mornings up to the play spots thats a bonus.
thanks for the closeups!

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
- Engagement is right at 3450-3500rpm.

- Nice fuel panel, they are using the exact same relays that are failing in the axys though, but look much more protected from moisture. There is a cover that goes over it, just took it off for a pic.

I would not worry about the relays. Arctic cat have used the same relays since 2012 in the 1100T, in the same fusebox as on the 2018, and I have not heard of any problems with them on the 1100T.
I feel it is a non concern as they are installed inside a box, and not like on the Axys where they are in the open and exposed for snow ingress.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
cut thru it at the back of the opening, then velcro it on the backside to keep it in place, when hitting a branch it just opens the velcro....or make a cat screen to prevent branches from going into the opening..

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Well I took out a 18 162 today. First let me say how much better the motor feels. It is extremely crisp, linear and great on the bottom and mid-range. Got it on some nice dust on crust steep sidehills, and no worries about the side panels catching. The clutch engages very smooth. The shocks felt valved better than the stock 16. The rear suspension felt even better than the MC. With a can this thing will rock. It still needs more steering and I will put either Macs steering mod or Barcodes on when I get one. Leaning toward Barcode for ease of install. And I still like the gripper ski better. Im not even sure it even needs boards. Doesnt even need clutching from preliminary testing. But need to test in deep pow to confirm. $500-1000 in minor mods and this thing will be perfect for me. I feel the 18 162 was about as playful as my 16 153. Cant wait to throw my leg over an 18 153.

I was also riding and tuning a customers 13 PC 162 today that had a boondocker turbo, skinz Helium hood and skinz concept front end, and powder pros. You couldnt pay me to ride that piece of $hit. Turbo is way too lazy compared to my axys, front end sucks and was about the hardest steering sled ive ever ridden when combining that front end and PP skis. Even racing a break in mode 18, it would take about 200yds to catch up to the 18. 18 just launches out of the hole. Very impressive power to the ground.

Thanks Matt at Front Range Arctic Cat for letting me get some good time on the new iron!

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Well I took out a 18 162 today. First let me say how much better the motor feels. It is extremely crisp, linear and great on the bottom and mid-range. Got it on some nice dust on crust steep sidehills, and no worries about the side panels catching. The clutch engages very smooth. The shocks felt valved better than the stock 16. The rear suspension felt even better than the MC. With a can this thing will rock. It still needs more steering and I will put either Macs steering mod or Barcodes on when I get one. Leaning toward Barcode for ease of install. And I still like the gripper ski better. Im not even sure it even needs boards. Doesnt even need clutching from preliminary testing. But need to test in deep pow to confirm. $500-1000 in minor mods and this thing will be perfect for me. I feel the 18 162 was about as playful as my 16 153. Cant wait to throw my leg over an 18 153.

I was also riding and tuning a customers 13 PC 162 today that had a boondocker turbo, skinz Helium hood and skinz concept front end, and powder pros. You couldnt pay me to ride that piece of $hit. Turbo is way too lazy compared to my axys, front end sucks and was about the hardest steering sled ive ever ridden when combining that front end and PP skis. Even racing a break in mode 18, it would take about 200yds to catch up to the 18. 18 just launches out of the hole. Very impressive power to the ground.

Thanks Matt at Front Range Arctic Cat for letting me get some good time on the new iron!

The barcode you are referring to is their entire front end for $900 or do they make a product specifically to increase turning radius on stock front end that I can't find?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I was gonna call him and talk to him about just selling the steering mod only. My dealer wants to buy a bunch of them after telling him about how well it works on a stock 15 with Barcode front end.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I was also riding and tuning a customers 13 PC 162 today that had a boondocker turbo, skinz Helium hood and skinz concept front end, and powder pros. You couldnt pay me to ride that piece of $hit.

Damn dude come on. I spent a lot of money on that thing. That hurts.

K
May 9, 2013
The Barcode a-arm kit is totally worth the cost. By the sounds of it you agree, Can wait to hear your opinion with the kit on your 2018! Ive ridden the 2016 36 front end and then mine with the Barcode it. Its way better.

Premium Features