• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New 2017 Ski-Doo Oil Tank Vid

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Thanks Dave for taking the time to show us the attention to detail Doo engineers have taken on the new G4. Little stuff like this makes the sled so much easier to live with. Threads inside the neck, the way they profiled the tank so you don't have to bomb sight the oil into the tank etc. I'm very impressed how Doo basically looked at every little thing trying to make a great machine.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks Dave for taking the time to show us the attention to detail Doo engineers have taken on the new G4. Little stuff like this makes the sled so much easier to live with. Threads inside the neck, the way they profiled the tank so you don't have to bomb sight the oil into the tank etc. I'm very impressed how Doo basically looked at every little thing trying to make a great machine.

Good design. Tank is smallish though. Also, I watched a guy wrestle with the clutch cover on the hill in January on a T3. I don't completely understand the rationale of the cover. It seems that it would hold a lot more heat than having them more open as in the Polaris design. Finally, can you get the center hood off easily as in the Polaris Axys design on the 850? The same rider was trying to access his plugs on that day in January. He finally gave up. As it turns out, he didn't have any problem other than he had run his sled out of gas. Once we got the sled on the level, it ran fine. I followed him back out in case he ran completely out of gas so he could fill it up. He rode a long ride the day before and he filled it up (he thought). It only took 3 gallons. I guess that he needed to burp it or something because it wasn't even close to full. I don't know if that is an inherent problem with the Ski Doo tank or not. Anyway, nice motor. I can't really see the chassis being revolutionary. It is more of an evolution of the previous chassis. Running boards are still too wide, sled is still wide, sled is heavy but lighter than previous iterations. The side panels look like an afterthought on the orange and white one especially. I like the ski stance width. I am interested in how the new track and primary are going to work. All in all, it is a next generation XM with a stellar big bore or stroke motor (or both). An 850 should make more power and torque than an 800. I am not sure why they didn't jump it all the way up to a 900 though. I suspect the aftermarket guys are already working up a bigger displacement option for it. It is now an open class sled.

Premium Features