• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Did she blow up?

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Your head orings are definitely melted. At least the inner ones. Tough to say on the cylinder's condition without seeing it first hand, but ideally there'd be no marks like that one has.

pretty weird about the tstat.. looks like a roller bearing pin. How a guy gets one of those in the cooling system would be interesting to know.

Last edited:
S
Jan 20, 2014
The cylinders are smooth to the touch and compression was at 115 in both jugs. What do you guys think tear it down hone it and new rings or let it be? I'm already adding up this project and it's a lot for my budget $500 for a new track, $60 for a cooler. $50 for a gasket kit and $250 for a top end kit. I'd like to get away as cheap as possible

S
Jan 20, 2014
I bought the sled about ten miles ago.... Talk about bad luck. I'm gonna pull the cylinders tonight and mic them at work tomorrow. What is factory bore? I have not checked the water pump yet I'm going to do that tonight as well.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
What does the other cylinder look like? Sorry about saying the waterpump might have failed and caused the overheating, the cause was a hole in the cooler. :face-icon-small-blu Although the t stat doesn't look like it was working with that pin in it. I have no idea where that pin came from, I can't think of anything that could get into the cooling system that looks like that. 700 bores are 81mm, 800's are 85mm there are no oversizes on these cylinders.

vwsprite

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2008
mazama, wa
that pin which is part of the thermostat locked it up and in co-operation with the damaged cooler overheated your motor melting the gaskets, i have replaced them and ran it without a full tear down before, but was not expecting much from the motor. 115 is normal, if your on a budget take that into acc. and i wish you luck

S
Jan 20, 2014
Both cylinders look identical. And have equal 115psi compression. I don't believe that pin came out f the thermostat look closely at all the pictures the guide pin is still there this is a deprecate foreign object. Here's a pic of the other cylinder
image.jpg

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
Someone may have had the sled apart, hoses off and dropped/knocked the pin into the hose. If the pistons and rings look fine, I would just do new gaskets and run it. I would pull the hose off the water pump and see if there is anything in there. When I start a motor after having it apart, I use straight water. If there is a leak or the waterpump is not circulating then you are only out some water, not a gallon of antifreeze everywhere.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
are the heads nicked up inside? if so, someone prob did a cheap rebuild. i would pull the jugs off and examine further, and prepare to order up a complete wiseco top end kit. not a big deal. expensive part might be replacing the head. look for a good used one.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I'd pull the cylinders, base gaskets are cheap, and have a real good look at everything. If you have 115 on both sides and there is no obvious damage to the pistons or rings, take a good look at the piston ring retaining pins, no chips or flaking of the nickasil, the heads look like they'll run then what the hey, put it back together, change out the exchanger and run it. Get a new thermostate obviously and If you feel like it change out the ves springs, I'll guarantee you they are sacked. A Winderosa (or any other) top end kit will give you every gasket you need, Save the rebuild, if it needs it, for the summer.

Last edited:
S
Oct 17, 2001
Milwaukee
Not sure where you are located, but good used tracks are a lot cheaper than $500.

Tough call on how much too invest, but I'd probably opt for gaskets only & run it

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Muriatic acid will eat the aluminum stuck to the cylinder and then a VERY light hone will clean it up. Talk to "Goinboardin" he has an address of an outfit that sells the type of hone you need for nicasil, $35. I've had good luck with spx pistons $70 a side and I think you might get away with one. So for about $200 your good to go. Thats the mag side thats scuffed isn't it? You can see in the pic of the head it got pretty hot.

S
Jan 20, 2014
I'll have to double check which side that came off of, but i think it was the clutch side. What do you mean the mag side? Should I bite the bullet and order the wisco top end kit on eBay for $250 or is there a better deal to be had?

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Twin cylinder engines are called PTO for power takeoff, the clutch side, and Mag for the magneto or stator side. Personally I'm leary of wisecos, I've run the spi's with good luck. Have a look on ebay and see what you can find.

Try ebay auctions #141161034462 or #14116103547 just as examples. I don't know how to do clickable links, sorry

Last edited:
Premium Features