• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Long Rod Motor/Indy Dan

X
Dec 10, 2009
I had a new short block installed in my sled last spring also and yesterday I pulled the head off to reinstall my PAR head and was really surprised/scared how much rock the pistons actually had throughout the entire stroke, I only have about 150 miles on the new engine. I am definitely sending Indy Dan my engine next year!!

Wouldn't the pistons stil rock like that after indydan's work because he uses the stock pistons? Or does he replate the cylinder to take up the extra clearance?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Wouldn't the pistons stil rock like that after indydan's work because he uses the stock pistons? Or does he replate the cylinder to take up the extra clearance?

He reworks the cylinder: this includes doing weld up bridge between the cylinder skirts. Machines to size and replates the cylinder. He then hones it to size in house to fit the stock piston correctly. ( something Polaris or their vendor has been unable to do with the Monoblock cylinder to date, the stock cylinder suffers from some sever taper from top to bottom also. Which Indy fixes as well in the process.)

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST

Try checking the piston to wall clearance from up inside the reed cage area with a feeler gauge jammed up inside the cylinder against the piston skirt.

.004-" - .005"is preferred, I.M.O.

Dynotech Jim took apart an 800 that was at an unbelievable .012" !!

Indy Dan strips and has the jugs re-nicasil'd to bring them into tighter tolerance to match the stock pistons.

It's the factory bore job that leaves a lot to be desired

X
Dec 10, 2009
He reworks the cylinder: this includes doing weld up bridge between the cylinder skirts. Machines to size and replates the cylinder. He then hones it to size in house to fit the stock piston correctly. ( something Polaris or their vendor has been unable to do with the Monoblock cylinder to date, the stock cylinder suffers from some sever taper from top to bottom also. Which Indy fixes as well in the process.)

I will be redoing my top end next fall because my warranty is up in January. Indydan's top end kit is actually pretty affordable when comparing what you actually get. The entire LR job is a little less affordable, that's not to say it is over priced. The top end kit is priced very compatibly when compared with other kits. Even though you may not see a performance increase with just the top end.

Has anyone just run his top end? I think the LR motor paired with PARs ultimate power upgrade would be the ticket!

T G

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Nevada
rode with trs a couple of days pertty impressive changed clutching yesterday lost some rpm's still helled track speed @pulled real well.i've had psi 995's still have 1200 water craft,i was impressed.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Murph,
Had two good days of riding in CA and then it rained. Hope you get more snow. We got home Monday night.
Rode Cooke today and it was snowing hard, headed back tomorrow. Matt Stoxen said it was piling up over at Belgrade.

The clutch change Ted talked about:
Changed secondary spring out to the red/green 120-220.

S
Dec 11, 2007
Weed, California
So if this is such a good thing with longer rods and some tweaking, why doesn't Polaris do it from the factory and make there engines bullit proof. I don't get it. Reliability and less warranty claims, can you ask for anything more. The Spudman:face-icon-small-ton

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Update.

Put my longrod motor thru the goods this last weekend.
Definately rips.
My buddy is 60 pounds lighter than me with a 12 163 par head dynoport pipe and clutching.
Mine is an 11 163 with par head super q can and indy dans clutching mtx weights.
I could pass him up the hill in 4 feet of fluff.
Tach goes wham to 8250 better hold on. :^D

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I started noticing a significant vibration on the last trip. Almost reminds me loose clutch chatter. Prominent between 4400-5600 rpm's, then seems like it goes away, or is drown out by exhaust sound above that. Notice it mostly while letting off the throttle.

Does this sound familiar to what engine vibrations/noise you guys experienced, and what this mod helps cure??

'12 pro 800, stock, 300-400 miles with Dan's clutch balancing.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
rypymudy.jpg

Thats what mine did for a trip right before the cylinder skirt dropped. :)

Sounds just like a worn out tra 3.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
673 mi and still going strong. Switched out the primary spring to a 120/310 and the secondary spring to the Team 120/200. Still running the stock Polaris secondary with the 46-34F and lightning weights in the primary.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Thought I would share pictures of the primary after 100mi+ this weekend. Look for belt dust. The belt has 743 miles on it.

photo (2).JPG photo (9).JPG

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Polaris part#7041786-03

If you order a team helix(special order)
46-34F ER
46-32F ER

Last edited:
Premium Features