• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 ves - performance

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
So I'm running a 800 ves in my iqr, twin piped, I think have it working as best it could as it sits now but Piped m8's are out climbing me and getting around better in deep snow. I'm debating what will be the most bang for the buck on this motor without decreasing its life span. Going to play with the gearing some this season. I have a spare set of cylinders, heads, and cases.

So what can I do to wake this thing up?

Is it worth the money for a full port job?

My spare cases are ported, is it worth swapping them over?

How big can the cylinders be bored? Build my own 860?

SLP cheater head, PAR head or get a stocker cut?

Carbs are currently stock, I will be getting them bored.

I'm open to running 50/50, pump/Av or mixing in some race gas but not willing to run straight race or av, that gets too expensive.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Fastrax/unionbay porting really wakes up those motors. Then add the correct head for your elevation. Hate to tell you this though, that chassis sucks in the mountians though and will never hang with the m-sleds or iq's or pros. Fun sled, and great for hucking, just not serious boondocking or climbing.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Your the first person I've ever heard of to dog on the IQR chassis as a mtn convert. Kinda of funny that you say it can boondock because that's all I do, well some jumping too. Honesly, mine boondocks better then a m-series or IQ hands down but it's far from stock and maybe thats what you are referring to? I haven't rode a pro so I can not comment. It's the motor department it's lacking and the only area I'm looking for input on. The motor just won't pull a load like our M8 in deep snow, everywhere else it has it beat, handling and ergos, etc... I just need more power.

How much does fasttraxs charge for porting? Could they mod my head also?

I'm not trying to spend a fortune on this motor. I could easily swap something else in if I wanted to spend a lot. .

Could I get 175hp? and what would it take?

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Talk to Doug Ruth for porting or just some ideas on what to do. What kind of track do you have under it? A 2" track simply will not run with the 2.5"s that are available today.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
All things considered then you should be kicking there azz. His website is ruthpower.com and there isn't much he doesn't know about engines, polaris in particular. Real nice guy to talk to and would help you come up with any engine mods you want. My wife just picked up an '06 IQR with one of Brad wurstens 1200 W/C triples in it, got it late this spring and haven't had it out on the snow yet but I'm fairly confident M8's aren't going to be an issue :face-icon-small-hap

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Jack Struther's porting from Carl's Cycle in Boise. With twins you'll have to run 3 gallons of race/av gas.

Carl's clutching and gear it properly.

Beat M8s.

sled_guy

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
3 gallons for out of how many total? My tank is only 8 gallons.

I have a huge to list for the sled, carb boring being one of the first and once it's all done I'll be deciding who to have port the cylinders.

I'm running a team secondary, how should I have it set up? 6500"

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
GIVE YOUR FULL SET UP!!

Airbox?
Current clutching on primary and secondary?
Rear suspension set-up? Soft, stiff, weight transfer? How flat do the rails sit when its sitting on the shop floor?

YOU CAN'T IGNORE TURBOTATER'S PORTING!!!!!!!
t8rzporting@gmail.com (Wayde Johnson in Hazelton, ID, near Twin Falls)
Put Wayde's porting and his version of the SLP pipes, 1200psi's heads...and you've got a runner. GUARANTEED, IN MY EXPERIENCE.

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Your getting advice from the heavy hitters now. Any one of these guys builds outstanding engines/sleds. And buying the wife a 1200 IQR ? ever heard the saying "happy wife happy life"

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I have a fully ported carls cycle 800 bb motor in a crate that broke the pto end, depending how much you want to spend. Might beable to work a deal out with you

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Ruth has done all my porting for 10 years. Bikes & sleds. The 800 VES I ran in my Prox chassis was well in the 175 range. SLP twins, SLP head, Ruth porting. FTX bored carbs, billet/Ti M10 rear skid and reprogrammed CDI. My own clutching (baseline borrowed from Ruth). It is the whole package. Like baking a cake. Porting alone is part of the recipe. Nothing to lose by calling Doug Ruth up, Brad and others to formulate/educate for yourself. Doesn't cost a dime.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
IMHO I woudn't spend the money it will take to do what you want to do on that sled. It simply doesn't pencil out. If you want to spank the M8's (and it's easy to do) save your money and buy a PRO.
Best return on investment.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
before you do porting...biggest diff in deep snow..the rear skid/track..might look at that first...just as an eye opener..the supposedly way under horsed pro rmk runs right with and even out performs supposedly more powerful sleds....total combo is more important then 5-10 more hp......

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
GIVE YOUR FULL SET UP!!

Airbox?
Current clutching on primary and secondary?
Rear suspension set-up? Soft, stiff, weight transfer? How flat do the rails sit when its sitting on the shop floor?

YOU CAN'T IGNORE TURBOTATER'S PORTING!!!!!!!
t8rzporting@gmail.com (Wayde Johnson in Hazelton, ID, near Twin Falls)
Put Wayde's porting and his version of the SLP pipes, 1200psi's heads...and you've got a runner. GUARANTEED, IN MY EXPERIENCE.

no airbox, running pods. Lots of vents..

I forget my primary spring at the moment, running 58gram weights which are reving a bit high, ran 64grams this winter which i feel are too heavy. Going to be trying a set of 60's next along with a pink slp spring? sound about right?

I'm going to be replacing everything in the primary and secondary, what will be the best set up? I'm running a TEAM secondary which I don't have much experience with.

Rails are tipped up a bit in the back when on shop floor. I lowered the front of the skid to reduce ski pressure before it was a pig to carve and very heavy steering. We tend to jump and I like to pound whoops when on the trail and I feel the skid bottoming often, I'm needing to go stiffer.

I'm running twins currently.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
IMHO I woudn't spend the money it will take to do what you want to do on that sled. It simply doesn't pencil out. If you want to spank the M8's (and it's easy to do) save your money and buy a PRO.
Best return on investment.

Sorry, keeping this chassis, right now I still feel that the IQR is the best chassis out their. Not interested in a PRO like everyone else. I can already spank most m8's and PRO's, we are the guys hucking the moon mtn cornice not the ones that get stuck halfway up LOL can't a guy just want more power?

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
dropping the frt of the skid as well as stiffening it..both hurt deep snow ability...if its a stock skid...buy a better skid..holz alpha..or a racers edge or maybe a mnt. tamer(I would do a racers edge myself)...even the stock poo skids from before the pro(runs a copy of a holz alpha) arnt very good deep snow skids and are prone to trenching...you will see far more deep snow capability by upgrading the skid then you will see with adding 20 hp...(A sled that is trenching bad is just going to trench worse with more power)

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Two stroke give me a call we have built these motors for along time. We have heads porting pipes that will give you a great combo. You can only expect about 165 hp out of a good running 800.

Brad

I have been eyeing your heads in the classifieds for weeks now, from the looks of things you can do everything I'm interested in house? I will be calling.

Last edited:
Premium Features