• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken Primary Clutch Springs ??

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
200 miles and mine is broken

It did have some sharp edges on the brass jam nut, filed them down and going with SLP spring and see what happens.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
The issue is on the outside of the spring, not the inside. My 11 already had the jamb nut rounded off and the new spring is missing paint on the outer edge. They are binding in the cup and getting larger in diameter, thus catching on the edge of the cup. I have some delron washers that I'm looking into. Hope to have an answer early next week.

R
The issue is on the outside of the spring, not the inside. My 11 already had the jamb nut rounded off and the new spring is missing paint on the outer edge. They are binding in the cup and getting larger in diameter, thus catching on the edge of the cup. I have some delron washers that I'm looking into. Hope to have an answer early next week.

aren't those washers just for the secondary?I have one in my secondary

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO

I TOTALLY AGREE SKIBREEZE...

The issue I seem to be having is that the spring is apparently "binding" up in the seat where it contacts the inside of the clutch (not the outer triangle piece that you remove to put a new spring in). Reason I believe this is becase there seems to be EXCESSIVE wear on the outer edges of the spring before each one snaps into two pieces!! Its almost like the spring is binding up and twisting somehow instead of just compressing like it should...causing the spring to literally shear in half!

I too thought of the need of some sort of washer on the inside where the spring contacts the inside of the clutch allowing the spring to turn freely and compress like it should????

I have broken a TEAM almond and an SLP green/pink on a 2012 PRO RMK...it's getting frustrating knowing that every 70 miles I need to listen/feel for a broken primary spring...

Sled absolutely rips when the springs are working like they should...:face-icon-small-dis

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
I've got a delron washer in my primary that I purchased from Indy Dan, he cut one for me when I send my clutch in for balance and sheave angle cut. I also run them in my tied secondary.

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
I am on board with gmustangt and the thought that these stock springs aren't bent right and they bind up by getting caught on the jam nut. If you look at the stock spring the coil ends don't touch at the ends and the spring doesn't even stand straight up, it's at a little angle. Not sure if all spring ends touch but seems like it could cause some binding? I have wear on my lock nut and it broke exactly where gmustangts did. Attached a picture of the end of my spring and picture of slp's, you can see the difference. I smoothed my lock nut down and will try slp spring and keep an eye on it.
cid__IMG-20120130-00126.jpg

drive_spring.gif

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Wanna bet? You can't look at wear on a part after it has already broken. It's now had all kinds of contact with parts that it wouldn't normally have. My 11 already had the nut rounded off and still broke a near new spring. Here is a pic of a spring with 1 ride, it is plain as day that the wear is on the outside. This same mark is on all of the broken springs that I have seen on 3 different sleds and it is not just polaris springs.

miscandwindows015.jpg

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Wanna bet? You can't look at wear on a part after it has already broken. It's now had all kinds of contact with parts that it wouldn't normally have. My 11 already had the nut rounded off and still broke a near new spring. Here is a pic of a spring with 1 ride, it is plain as day that the wear is on the outside. This same mark is on all of the broken springs that I have seen on 3 different sleds and it is not just polaris springs.

miscandwindows015.jpg

ALL MINE (polaris and SLP) LOOK JUST LIKE THAT SKIBREEZE BEFORE THEY SNAP!!!!

What's the spring contacting??? It looks like the springs are too large of diameter and are contacting the outside of the clutch...you agree???

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
It is contacting the clutch spider. IMO there are 2 ways to fix this issue. One is to have the spider machined, but I don't want to do this because it won't stop the galling under the spring, which also contributes spring fatigue and breakage. I want to get the washers to keep it an easy fix for everybody and improve performance and durability of the springs.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
What is Polaris doing about this problem

You would think that this would be a recall issue ,

Along with going to a SLP spring which is coiled right ,Was wonder if the plastic collar that goes on the end of the TRA springs would work on this !

T
Nov 27, 2007
Eastern Washington St
Another spring!

Just some more pictures to confirm the spring binding issue.
My spring and retainer nut were heavily wore on the inside (See pictures) but there is a heavy wear mark on the outside as well! Surprised it didn’t break a lot earlier! 500 miles on this one.
It may very well be that the spring pocket doesn’t have enough clearance for the spring to expand as it collapses.
When the outer edge of the coil contacts the spring pocket wall it then pushes the spring off to one side and causes the coil to rub the retainer nut as the pictures show??
Could be the spring just expands too much in diameter as its compressed??

More food for thought!

Edit: Has anyone noticed If your springs broke in the same location as mine? look at the orientation of the wear on the outside to the location of the wear on the inside verses the position of the end of the last coil.
Are they all showing the wear in the same areas?

IMGP3159.JPG IMGP3161.JPG IMGP3175.JPG IMGP3180.jpg IMGP3179.JPG

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Yet another broken spring (Team Pink) on my '12. I'm waiting on the delrin washers to show, but until then I made a steel set and will be testing these out this weekend.

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Just some more pictures to confirm the spring binding issue.
My spring and retainer nut were heavily wore on the inside (See pictures) but there is a heavy wear mark on the outside as well! Surprised it didn’t break a lot earlier! 500 miles on this one.
It may very well be that the spring pocket doesn’t have enough clearance for the spring to expand as it collapses.
When the outer edge of the coil contacts the spring pocket wall it then pushes the spring off to one side and causes the coil to rub the retainer nut as the pictures show??
Could be the spring just expands too much in diameter as its compressed??

More food for thought!

Edit: Has anyone noticed If your springs broke in the same location as mine? look at the orientation of the wear on the outside to the location of the wear on the inside verses the position of the end of the last coil.
Are they all showing the wear in the same areas?

Towny...

I have a green/pink SLP spring that looks IDENTICAL to yours...even broke in the same place, about 2 coils up from the bottom of the spring (by bottom I mean the portion that is inside the spring cup).

OBVIOUSLY THERE IS A PROBLEM HERE POLARIS...

Interested in the washers Skibreeze has on order!!!!

T
Nov 27, 2007
Eastern Washington St
spring failure.

Got to looking at the brokin area of the spring on the outside and it looks like the wear came after the spring broke!
The wear is only on one half of the brokin section. It would be on both sides of the break if it was rubbing before it broke. :face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-dis

IMGP3182.jpg

T
Nov 27, 2007
Eastern Washington St
Premium Features