• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Stage III issue?? update: bad piston rings?

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta
Have a 2011 Pro RMK 800, just over 1000 miles. Sled ran great last year with the exception of fouled plugs at 400 miles. Dealer changed injectors and no problems after that. First ride this year, about 10 miles, all good!

Took sled to dealer for install of a SLP stage III kit.

FIRST RIDE, made it a couple of hundred feet from my house and sled fell on its face, would not go over 6200-6500 RPM! Returned to dealer. Dealer called SLP/Dynotech. Only thing they could determine to be the cause was a faulty plug...Installed NGK Iridium plugs. Dealer returned my sled (I live almost an hour away, and they delivered it. Pretty nice of them)

SECOND RIDE, made it about 1/2 mile, same thing happened again!!! Fouled plug (believe it was PTO side), no go over 6500 RPM. Phoned dealer. He came back right away and picked up my sled.

This time, they tried another PCv, fouled another plug. Next they installed new injectors, assumed this was the culprit as sled continued to foul the same plug. Dealer took sled out for a hard test run, about 8 miles, and said everything was good. Dealer installed new NGK plugs, custom for 2012 Polaris, supposed to be anti-foul. Picked up my sled this time.

THIRD RIDE, rode about 6 miles, all good, but did have one small stumble. Assumed that it was maybe the rev limiter, sled was pulling strong, saw 8250-8300 RPMs. Parked at a friends house for a couple of hours, hoping my problems were over. WRONG! Started up sled, let warm up while gearing up. Temp hadn't reached 80 deg yet, and sled started acting up again!!! Crap! Deja vu...08 Dragon...3 engines...don't need the headaches again...Rode sled home, about a mile. Ran like crap the whole way, wouldn't go over 6200 RPMs again!!!

Back to the dealer again tomorrow. Would much rather be riding than travelling back and forth to the dealer!!! PLEASE, does anyone have any ideas WTF is going on??? Would like to have some info before I return to the dealer, as they are also getting frustrated...Not looking forward to phoning with the bad news in the morning!!! Considering have them pull the entire kit and return sled to stock? Not so sure the SLP kit is the problem, but that's when the problems began, and I didn't spend over $2000 to have to deal with this headache!

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Were the plugs actually fouling? Or did it just seem to help?

Almost makes ya think it's cutting spark on ya. If it were mine I'd start testing all the ign components and connections. Atleast ur dealer sounds fairly helpful!

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
i'd start checking there as well, actually pretty hard to "foul" a iridium plug if its getting full spark to it. With these sleds having known crappy wire connections on them i'd sure take a good hard look at the wire to plug boot connection and well as wire to coil. SLP makes a replacement kit for the wires for just this reason btw.
second thing is did for any reason the dealer have the head or cylinder off? If so better check rings on that side.

If I was looking at this first off i'd do a compression check, then of course a proper leakdown check. These 2 things will right off the bat see if any issues exist in the cylinders. Then spark plug wires,coils,all connections,injectors,stator...ect
best of luck..i'll bet its the wires tho seen quite a few take a crap.

Oh, my riding buddy has the full stage 4 on his 2012..so far really nice kit...we need snow to see what it will do tho

Last edited:
S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
My buddy just had the stage 3 kit put in and that assualt pro is an animal! We geared it down one tooth now there is nothing that will touch it, not even my 2012 pro will compare when pulling a hill head to head.. he is extremely happy with his, so hopefully once the bugs are worked out on yours you will have the same results. did they do a reflash on the computer? And yes check all harness connections, its just a sensor or switch going into limp mode by what you describe.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
My buddy just had the stage 3 kit put in and that assualt pro is an animal! We geared it down one tooth now there is nothing that will touch it, not even my 2012 pro will compare when pulling a hill head to head.. he is extremely happy with his, so hopefully once the bugs are worked out on yours you will have the same results. did they do a reflash on the computer? And yes check all harness connections, its just a sensor or switch going into limp mode by what you describe.

Dumb question maybe, but why would your stock Pro compare to a Pro with a stage 3 kit if its making such a huge difference ?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
First off, has your dealer actually put in on the digital wrench and checked the codes? That program tells you an incredible amount about the machine.

Suggest they replace the exhaust pipe sensor, even if it hasn't set a code. I'm not garanteeing that is the issue, but it has happened with the Dragons that the sensor was bad and didn't set a code/turn on the light.

sled_guy

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
i'd start checking there as well, actually pretty hard to "foul" a iridium plug if its getting full spark to it. With these sleds having known crappy wire connections on them i'd sure take a good hard look at the wire to plug boot connection and well as wire to coil. SLP makes a replacement kit for the wires for just this reason btw.
second thing is did for any reason the dealer have the head or cylinder off? If so better check rings on that side.

If I was looking at this first off i'd do a compression check, then of course a proper leakdown check. These 2 things will right off the bat see if any issues exist in the cylinders. Then spark plug wires,coils,all connections,injectors,stator...ect

Oh, my riding buddy has the full stage 4 on his 2012..so far really nice kit...we need snow to see what it will do tho

The plug wires like to sag and then wear on a head bolt. The plug boots are known to be flaky. The wiring by the coils should be inspected closely. Anything in Digital Wrench showing up? Start simple, then work outwards.

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta
Were the plugs actually fouling? Or did it just seem to help?

Almost makes ya think it's cutting spark on ya. If it were mine I'd start testing all the ign components and connections. Atleast ur dealer sounds fairly helpful!

Yeah, just the plug on the clutch side. Totally soaked every time one was pulled. The map on the power commander indicates that it is running richer on that side, but SLP says that is the proper map set up to go with the kit.

Yup, my dealer is the best in the area! Have dealt with a couple of others in the past, and you can't beat them, for their effort at least, and trying to keep a guy happy! They even keep parts in stock, to minimize down time when problems do arise. When I had my Dragon (different dealer), I lost 2 months of riding one year, waiting for parts...

Thanks for the suggestions. Pretty sure it is something other than the kit itself, and electrical is a likely culprit.

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will heading to the dealer shortly, taking all these ideas with me.

Yes, the stage III kit has a replacement head included with the kit. Will have them check into that as well. I am feeling it's most likely an issue somewhere in the electrical

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta
First off, has your dealer actually put in on the digital wrench and checked the codes? That program tells you an incredible amount about the machine.

Suggest they replace the exhaust pipe sensor, even if it hasn't set a code. I'm not garanteeing that is the issue, but it has happened with the Dragons that the sensor was bad and didn't set a code/turn on the light.

sled_guy

First thing they did was hook up to digital wrench. I watched. No codes whatsoever!! Strange, very odd...Last year, when I took it in with injector issues, no codes showed up that time either. Mechanic seemed a little baffled by the lack of codes. I am starting to think there is something fishy up with my computer, and will inquire about that possibility.

We did try a new exhaust sensor, didn't change anything. Also, had to replace one on my Dragon.

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Dumb question maybe, but why would your stock Pro compare to a Pro with a stage 3 kit if its making such a huge difference ?

Im just stating that the kit makes alot of horsepower and I know for a fact the 12's make more horsepower then the 11's so the kit work! its not a fluke..

D

Dragonbag

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 29, 2007
Alberta
return to stock....ride it...and report back. No problems = kit problems. If its its electrical you will know right away if its stock.

I think that's a good idea, but a lot of time and money wasted if we do go that direction. I really do expect, that the issue is somewhere other than with the SLP kit, and hate to ditch the kit and still end up with sled running like a POS! Good troubleshooting, but very labour intensive. Read several other posts regarding good results with kit install. Suspected maybe a faulty power commander with the kit, but dealer already tried another PCV, and ruled out that possibility.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!!! Keep em coming, and I will post updates with what we find out. Gotta get off the computer and hit the road back to the dealer...wish me luck!

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Good on your dealer. Seem like great people. I have a pretty good dealer too, but they kind of frown on any aftermarket accessories. Strikes me as more than a coincidence that your sled started acting up after the kit was installed. Good luck.

M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
I think that's a good idea, but a lot of time and money wasted if we do go that direction. I really do expect, that the issue is somewhere other than with the SLP kit, and hate to ditch the kit and still end up with sled running like a POS! Good troubleshooting, but very labour intensive. Read several other posts regarding good results with kit install. Suspected maybe a faulty power commander with the kit, but dealer already tried another PCV, and ruled out that possibility.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!!! Keep em coming, and I will post updates with what we find out. Gotta get off the computer and hit the road back to the dealer...wish me luck!

Yea i would just ride it for a bit, not forever! you will know right away once its stock and if you have the same problems. Maybe one day ride. Can't be too much work to put the kit back on if its runs fine stock!

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
I don't remeber if this motor has exhaust valves or not. I just ride them. But check to make sure they are not the issue. What you are describing has happened to me and it was the exhaust valves(not on a pro but a different pol). no slp kit though.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
hey bag i got a crazy idea what if you unplug the pcv when it starts running bad ? i would think that running it for a little while with the stock map would be safe ? (not climbing or anything)
but if you already tried a diffrent one then i guess its unlikely to be that ?
like others said do the easy stuff first comp. check and look over the harness real well
good luck

Premium Features