• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 mountain cat 800 any good?

im thinking about buying a 01 mountain cat 800. kinda for the old lady and kinda for a spare it has 600 miles on a new top end and crank and a 144 track going to look at it tomorrow. the asking price is 1900. just wondering some info on this sled dont have to much experince with a cat. just wondering if this is a good sled. any problems with this model? the old lady is just a rookie and dont know if this is going to be to much sled. any thing that you need to do to them right off the bat? its all stock without even a can. any info on this sled would be great. thanks ahead of time

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I would look for a later model 570 or 600 sled! The 800 may be too much for her with the heavier chassis of the '01 Also they had the smaller 30 mm crank PTO end that was known for failure. I am sure that is why it is rebuilt with a new crank? Otherwise talk him down as far as possible and see how she likes it? If she is a daredevil and keeps up with you watch out. Mike

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
If that is your price range then it is a pretty good sled.

Don't get her a 600 PS or other. The 800 will be just fine.

If you can get into the 03 late build or the 04 you would be a step up. But agian the 01 800 for the wife or a spare sled isn't to bad.

Might check compression prior to purchase. (make sure they are the same both sides) I would say in the 150psi range at 1000' elevation. (Just a guess, my 900 pulls 153 at 1200' don't know for sure on the 800)

Now if you really want to check it out you can check the crank runout. Greater than .002" walk away.

Pull the plugs and take a light and roll it over and look for cylinder damage.

Check the drive clutch out and make sure the weights, bushings and rollers in the spider are in good condition.

Make sure the speedo works. (Good sign of a drive shaft bearing failure it it doesn't)

Now other than a compression issues or a crank issue, you can just wheel and deal on the price if you find any of the above.

Thunder

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Personally I would spend another $500 and get a 04' 1M. Lighter, better track and handles better. If thats whats in the budget they were pretty dependable but a handfull to ride and lagged behind the others in the deep stuff.

M8 Rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
Riverton Utah
2001 800 Arctic Cat

I had one of those. Mine was the EFI 144 model. I really liked it until I rode a buddys M7. Then I had to sell it. But all in all it was a good machine. I liked it alot and rode the skiis off of it. I think it should work well for you.

benbow580

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
blackfoot id
tunnel cracks

check the tunnel under where your feet are and check for cracks common on these sleds not hard to fix(if your mechanically enclined) but could make for bargaining chip hpoe this helps

Premium Features