• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 MC 800

T
Sep 10, 2009
meridian ID
i Have a carbed 800 Mountain Cat that has a sensor on the end of the carb rack that is unplugged and wrapped up in tape. What are these for and should i leave it like this or plug it in?

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
TPS.Throttle position sensor.

I thought if it was unplugged it would send your sled into a limp mode. Mine is disconected, but I have a resister on the plugin to fool the system.
The TPS was desgned to save you from a stuck throttle cable and a runaway sled.

Owen

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
TPS

Sorry Owen. but the TPS function is to vary the ignition timing with the throttle position. It will send the system into a limp mode when it fails, or sometimes you lose spark altogether. I was working on my carbs once and forgot to plug it in when I reinstalled them and made it about 3 miles before both sides burned down. Apparently the limp mode is more advanced timing.
I haven't had any experience with a resistor to replace the TPS unit. Didn't even know there was such a thing.
The system that protects from a stuck throttle cable and a runaway is in the throttle control on the handlebars.

Premium Features