• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Metal chunks in Crankcase *pics*

E
Feb 22, 2009
So as most, or some of you know I've done some pretty extensive mods to my edge this yr, and just recently had her sieze up on me first outing to the mountains this year. Anyhow long story short...fresh complete rebuild on the engine, upgraded wide bearings, hole 9 yrds porting etc, anything you can do I've done it with the exception of the high compression head. 5 rides on her since it was rebuilt. Here is my pics of the MAG side piston and the magnetic chunks of steel I found in my crankcase (I'm running Billet Pistons) Rings are magnetic but still fully attached. If somone could tell me WHAT IN THE FUK the magnetic chunks in the case are from that would be grand, and please don't tell me it's my bearings.

IMG00090-20100125-1200.jpg IMG00091-20100125-1201.jpg IMG00095-20100201-2131.jpg IMG00097-20100201-2131.jpg IMG00098-20100201-2132.jpg

E
Feb 22, 2009
Havn't put it back together yet, wanted to establish where the metal came from before hand. Crank feels relativley smooth with one rough point. Checked the tolerance and I'm under but still worried where the metal came from as the pistons are aluminum.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
metal

Seen this before. I bet those are pieces of the ball bearing spacer from one of the crank bearings. That spacer keeps the ball bearings evenly spaced around the bearing race. When it comes apart, all the ball bearing pile up and lock up the crank. After it stops they loosen up and you can turn the crank again. Sorry for the bad news. At least it didn't break in two.

E
Feb 22, 2009
Man...that sucks EZ, all that work and then this chit happens.

Yah...it's a huge shoot me in the left foot right now to ease the pain...At least I did have the engine rebuilt by a reputable mod shop last season and I only have 5 rides on it, so we will see what they say. They recieved the same pics today but havn't heard back from them as of yet. I'm really hoping it's not an internal crank problem, but looks to be leaning that way. I don't see why they wouldn't cover this engine, but if they don't I might be looking to make a move to the darkside. Anyone else with something far fetched? perhaps some kind of coating they put on the case?? I just find it hard to believe a crank with the wide bearings and case ported and drilled out would eat a crank in 5 rides, and if so WHY ??

I would say tear it all the way down and check it out. If something on the crank failed It pretty much has to be a defect or improper assembly. Does the top end look fine...and the experts should be able to tell if that pistion marring is detonation or debris; I cant tell.

S

snowman429

Jan 1, 2008
Rigby, Id
I feel your pain. I sent both my bottom ends to indydan this summer. Put them both back together, My second ride lasted 2 miles before my sled burned down got it back together and 4 rides later my wifes lost a ring and took out the mag cylinder. It's been a rough year.

E
Feb 22, 2009
Yep, it sounds like it is your crank bearings. Tear it down and check it out.

Tore it down...it's the bearings!!! I'm about ready to smash the FUK out of something. My reputable dealer does not warenty 2 stroke engines. This is a f'n joke 5 rides on a complete rebuild and the crank goes WTF. Good news the case is still good and the bearings are replacable, but who's to say it aint going to happen again...what to do and why did this happen and how to prevent it from happening again? INDY DAN, you out their? Any imput?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Tore it down...it's the bearings!!! I'm about ready to smash the FUK out of something. My reputable dealer does not warenty 2 stroke engines. This is a f'n joke 5 rides on a complete rebuild and the crank goes WTF. Good news the case is still good and the bearings are replacable, but who's to say it aint going to happen again...what to do and why did this happen and how to prevent it from happening again? INDY DAN, you out their? Any imput?

Make sure to have someone mike out your cases before you put it back together. That is the primary case of most bearing failures. Too lose, the bearing walk and break cranks. Too tight, the bearings can come apart. I just had Brad (1200psi on here) rebuild a crank for me. He did one for me last year as well. He does great work. Indydan line bored both sets of cases to make sure they were in spec. I feel your pain since I have been there and learned the hard way as well. Good luck and do it right.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
A snowmobile is a bottomless hole in the powdered snow, that you stuff money into in hopes of filling it up. But it drains out the bottom end faster than you can stuff it in the top end. And then you sell it for parts.

O
Sep 30, 2009
My reputable dealer does not warenty 2 stroke engines. This is a f'n joke 5 rides on a complete rebuild and the crank goes WTF.
Doesn't sound too reputable to me, did they replace ALL the bearings and check the straitness of the crank? If they checked it, ask them what the SPEC was (how far was it out). If they tell you they don't know, I'm sure they didn't check.

What bearing was it?

I have a friend with a IQ 700 twin and when he bought it he had an extended warranty. Well, it blew up on him first year, took it to the dealer, Polaris fixed it end of the year and he didn't get to ride it till this year. 2nd ride of the year a Rod broke, and litterally cut the case in two. He had to fight with the dealer and they said it wasn't covered cause they allready fixed it once, and he was screwed cause there wasn't ANYTHING on that engine you could save.

He ended up talking to Polaris and they told him to bring it to their Wyoming, MN (he lives close to there), and they put a new complete engine in it there. Turned out the dealer was the guy screwing it up, the dealer didn't want to fix it again then have to try and get the money from Polaris.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
failure

I would guess that the crank rebuilder only replaced bearings that needed it. But on my 02 the PTO end wasn't replaced and it went south the next year. I doubt you will ever find out why it failed because the rebuilder will never admit they did or did not replace the bearing. That would be grounds for warranty replacement. Say what you will but Dan stands behind his stuff although he does such a good job his warranty rate is very low.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
ha did that to a 200 hp 2.5L mercury out board. had high compressions heads and was ported and polished. Top two pistons stuck, rods broke and came threw the sides just like that......it was dirrrrty. $5000 for a new short block and no mods, runs on regular only now and we change the water pump impeller every year, only thing is it doesn't do 72mph now and doesn't have the same near performance.

Premium Features