• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Perc kit from 03 700 Install ?

R
Dec 12, 2009
Buckeye State
I have a 2002 700 xc sp that I have been told can use the 03 kit to work. I am not sure of the wiring by the voltage reg. or rectifier. I have kind of figured out were most things go . The harness is shaped a lot different. Any tips on install. I do not have the motor in yet. I have the cdi,harness from 03-05 , clutch parts ect. This was a N.O.S. kit from polaris. Thanks for your input.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The most common mistake is where the wiring harness plugs together behind the airbox their are 2 plugs that are the same. Make sure and plug in the ones that have the same color wires in them or the reverse won't work.

Otherwise it all plugs in pretty straight forward.

You change the flywheel and pull starter pawl?

sled_guy

this1ultraflyz

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Saskatoon, Saskquatchland
The most common mistake is where the wiring harness plugs together behind the airbox their are 2 plugs that are the same. Make sure and plug in the ones that have the same color wires in them or the reverse won't work.

Otherwise it all plugs in pretty straight forward.

You change the flywheel and pull starter pawl?

sled_guy
Do you have to change pull starter Pawl?

O
Sep 30, 2009
On a note, reminder that the 2002 oil pump supposedly won't pump oil in reverse (Was told this buy a guy trying to sell me a elec/ reverse kit for my 02 RMK 800). Now, this shouldnt be an issue, just don't let it run in reverse long. Should be fine for turning the sled around or getting it off a trailer.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
you will need to make a ground wire to bolt to the voltage regulator with a plug to plug it into the harness if it is the same as a rmk. I have put many of them 02 rmks

R
Dec 12, 2009
Buckeye State
Pull starter pawl did not come with the kit. The wires to the oil switch on bottom of oil tank seem too short no matter which way I run the harness. I think the oil switch may be in a dif. location on other years. I was told about the oil pump.Kit # I have is 2874618 which is for a 03 700 xc. I got this kit from a guy in N.D that was selling them on E bay. I have worked on all kinds of things but sleds so this all new to me. I have the clutch kit and Tach. also. I will check back and keep you updated

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
If you don't change the pull starter pawl when the machine is in reverse it can hook the pull starter pawl and break the rope. No, it isn't just if you pull on the pull rope, it can happen while just idling if the pawl is sticking out at all in the pull starter.

sled_guy

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
'03 and newer part number on the pawl.

Solid brown wire on the Polaris is ground. Solid yellow is power.

Did you get the wiring harness with the kit? When I did my '02 I got a whole new wiring harness and it fit in just perfect.

sled_guy

R
Dec 12, 2009
Buckeye State
I got a new harness that is for a 2003. There are 2 or 3 brown wires in the same location on harness as old one. The wires going to the bottom of oil tank are way too short, they are the yellow and purple color . Do I need to extend them? I tried to figure out different ways to run and they do not look like they will work. The instructions say to remove oil tank which I did not do. Thanks for follow ups. I am not in a big hurry due to the Jan. thaw we are having. Maybe our planet has a fever after all.LOL

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I don't know... I didn't have to extend mine. But no big deal if they aren't long enough just splice a piece in.

sled_guy

H
Dec 3, 2009
I got a new harness that is for a 2003. There are 2 or 3 brown wires in the same location on harness as old one. The wires going to the bottom of oil tank are way too short, they are the yellow and purple color . Do I need to extend them? I tried to figure out different ways to run and they do not look like they will work. The instructions say to remove oil tank which I did not do. Thanks for follow ups. I am not in a big hurry due to the Jan. thaw we are having. Maybe our planet has a fever after all.LOL

I am in the process of doing this on my 01xc800 I had to extend the wires for my oil sensor. i think it has to do with the fact we have a different styly airbox the newer models had a seperate oil tank next to the airbox and mine is one complete unit. All I did was cut the same colored wires out of my old harness to extend them. As far as the voltage regulator I had the same issue but found the same plug on my old harness cut it off and adapted it to the voltage regulator. i will post i pic later but i have not got my motor back together so i am not 100% sure what i did is going to work. :D

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I did not have to extend my oil sensor wires either. if you fill your tank when you ride then you won't need it anyway

R
Dec 12, 2009
Buckeye State
2003 picture looks like air box and oil tank are two units. Mine is a one pc. unit. I need to replace a few maint. items and engine should go in soon. I was wondering how you break in these engines. Do you do a few heat cycles then run it. I know that the cruising rpms are a little high on sleds . I am aware of throwing oil in the tank.

N

north-land

Dec 14, 2007
Anchorage, Alaska
starter pawl

question,
I bought the 2003 starter pawl and it looks almost identical to the 2002 pawl except it has another notch. I couldn't see how it would be installed any differently or how it could make a difference. Anybody know how this works?

thanks,

R
Dec 12, 2009
Buckeye State
Pawl looks rounded on the one end. If you were to pull it when engine is running it would catch for sure. I have engine all back together but it has 145psi compression. This is going to be hard on my old shoulders. I am thinking on selling it and looking for elect. start.

N

north-land

Dec 14, 2007
Anchorage, Alaska
A little off topic, but you should try the new VES Gold Plus oil to make it easier to pull. Polaris claims it takes 60% less pull power with this new oil on a cold start. I found that is true.

fastlane

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
southern Minnesota
I put PERC on a 02 800 RMK last year and have some insight, the pall has to be changed it was like 5 bucks from polaris, I did put a new oil pump on mine, I ran the old one with a drill(made a slotted socket) and as we know it does not pump in reverse but the main reason I did that was to prime the new system, pump lines etc, worked excellent, I did not have any issues with the harness, but mine was a RMK. it worked great and had no problems, I suppose you would not have to change the pump but I am paranoid I guess, and it was only 194.00 at the dealer- way cheaper than a motor. Its pretty straight forward. Any questions PM me.

Premium Features