• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HELP!!! losing power/rpms only on climbs

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
Check or replace the temp sensor in the pipe.
Does the cooling system have air in it? replace the coolant temp sensor.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
What is your gear ratio? Maybe it's just geared to high for climbing. Is it a short track? I believe that stock gearing for Polaris short track sleds is too high for anything but flat groomed trails.

S
Nov 26, 2007
ND
there is no pipe temp sensor. test the head temp sensor, if you don't have the plug, buy one from slp, they are like 10 bucks or something. I think it just connects the two wires together but I am not sure if there is a resistor too. Maybe someone could chime in on that. I doubt it is your head temp sensor if it straightens out when your on the flats. sounds like running out of fuel, I would suspect fuel pump if you have checked the lines from the tank and the pulse line from the engine to be clean. I have had the pulse line plug up before. but thats jmo

Last edited:

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
clutching is all new, new primary and secondary springs, new helix, new weights, primary was inspected and balanced. i re-routed pulse line so it has less bends, rebuilt fuel pump, replaced bellows and cleaned EVs, cleaned all electrical connetions and put on some dielecrtic grease, cleaned clutch faces, replaced head temp sensor, replaced coolant. this better work. belt looks to be in good condition

S
Nov 26, 2007
Carnation, WA
I think there was a recall on the fuel pump location on some of the 02's and 03's. I remember taking mine in for that not to long after I bought it.

Check that your deflector in front of the exhaust outlet is still on, or not bent flat. Sometimes get a powder bog in the deep stuff. Roll it onto the left ski and it goes away.

Hill climbing with that sled with 159 track you want a 2.22 gear ratio.
Need to have 18 / 40 gears. Also the stock helix ramp is a little too flat so they won't hold the RPM's when you do hard hill climbs. Changed mine to a steeper ramp, shifts faster now, holds good RPM's. I am able to run 66 weights and still pull around 7800-8000 at 6000 ft elevation.

03 vertical escape
410 jets, #2
18/40 gears
10/66 weights
Twin pipes
6000ft cheater head
20% race fuel

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Remember, his is an 02 so its a button clutch not a team. Totally different clutching stock.

I would disagree with changing to 18/40 gearing, your 19/43 is a proven gear ratio for these and the 18 top gear is getting small to the point of robbing power and being harder on the chain. Also the 19/43 is 2.26/1 and 18/40 is 2.22/1. Its not a big difference. Its not even the difference of dropping one tooth on the bottom.

H
Dec 7, 2008
Omaha
I rode with a guy who had a '98 700 that had some work done on it, and it would cut out when climbing. He took the hood off and it cured the problem. Eventidely the heat was affecting the fuel pumps ability to pump fuel. I think later on he got a bigger fuel pump or remounted the fuel pump, or maybe both. Whatever change he made he was able to run with the hood again.

Also I had a '03 800 that would bog in the deep snow, especially when I side hilled with the exhaust in the snow. Putting some silicon around where the exhaust exited cured that problem.

S
Sep 16, 2009
Lagrande OR
hey

i have a 04 edge 800 with the 159 slp single and im haveing the same problem i can climb ok on small hills but when i start to pull the big ones in deep snow i get a bog and lose power and get some poping, and it does the same thing when doing donuts, i was wondoring if you solved the problem i am was told to clean the sleeps were the powervalves go into the head and clean up the valves so i did that real good and got them shiney agian im gana go take it out on tuesday and see how it does if it fixes it i will let you know but i was just hopeing maybe you got it fixed and had some answers for me.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
mines sitting in the garage waiting to go, but i wont be able to til the end of the month, i gotta go to the Caribbean for 10 days

Premium Features