• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Edge project murdered out

B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
All right I've been working on my sled here is the progress its really starting to look like something now.

started life as a gray and yellow 2004 edge 800 with a 151.
here is a pic when I was test fitting the new seat. I really wanted to Murder it Out.

kdk_0332.jpg

First thing to do was to get rid of all that yellow!!!!

Now it has a Unionbay 900 (200 Hp), bondocker Nos 40Hp shot, 162 power claw, Iceage rails with 9" wheels. I picked up the 163 Ice Age rails used and I anodized them black. Pulled all the suspension arms, trailing arms, and springs had them sandblasted and powder coated black.....except the springs sliver. put on carbon fiber front bumper, balck side skirts. Black Chrome windshield.

kdk_0409.jpg

kdk_0406.jpg

kdk_0414.jpg

kdk_0411.jpg

kdk_0416.jpg

I wraped the tunnel with $30 of vinyl from ebay and $6 worth of decals.

Added WRP running boards, Left hand throttle, New boss Seat, I painted the hood with a semigloss/velvet black. I still have to put the mountain fit hoods vent kit on...just stuck on with tape for now

Powder claw 162 track with 7 tooth extrovert drivers.

Still quite the list of things that need to get done.....Engine back together. mount digitron gauges weld in the exhaust probes. put skis on, get clutch balanced, put in power jets.

B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
Getting the vinyl around the rivits is a little fun....but its not too bad. If you have a heat gun I think it would work a little better. Took me about 2 hrs to cover it.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
A thing of beauty is a joy forever! Now all you have to do is stare down the tree limbs and brush thickets. Good job. Keep it in the snow. Thanks for showing it.:beer;

B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
Thanks for the comments guys! I have a pair of black simmions skis with powder wings. that are going on it. When I get it all together I'll get some updated pics on here.

I guess time will tell on the wrap. The WRP running boards come up the sides a bit so I think that will help alot to protect from my boots. I met a guy last year who had one on his XP for A year and it still looked good. But time will tell.

B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
Thank for the props guys. Hopefully I can get some more work done on this thing on saturday.

So here are some pics of the simmons powder wings..... don't make fun, these work great in the powder. instead of sliding sideways through the powder the wings give something to push against to turn the sled. And yes they are made by simmons.

kdk_0358.jpg

kdk_0407.jpg

raptobob

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
Idaho
Thats the first time I have ever seen those powder wings...not even on the website, must be a secret! Whats your opinion on the new Boss seat...I was thinking of ordering one. The price is sure better than it was on the old version.

C
Nov 18, 2009
Your sled looks sick, i really like the vinyl wrap. Is that one large piece?, i would like to do this to my tunnel. Looks great more info on the wrap would be cool.

cody

B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
Thank guys. Well I ordered one 24" x 5' piece off ebay. I did this because it was chaeaper than buying 10 feet of the 12". I taped everything in place and did ruff cuts before I aplied the vinyl. You could also use butcher paper to make a template for the vinyl first if you want. I cut it into 3 pieces I cut 1' off for the rear tunnel (1'x12"), then cut the remaining in half so I had two 4' x 12" for the sides of the tunnel. I then cut those sections again I did the front of the tunnel up to the relief bend and then applied the rear side section of the tunel. I used scrap pieces to do the inner rear triangular sections of the running boards. I put the WRP Tuff boards on after I had put the vinyl on and they covered the rest of the boards. If I had to do it again i would have ordered extra vinyl in case of a screwed up...I was worried the whole time. Make sure you overlap the pieces of vinyl a 1/2" to 1". I used a creditcard as a squeegee, a razerblade and an exacto knife to trim and to pop any air bubbles. Don't use water/soap mix to apply as its hard to get it to stick around all the bends and rivits...this trick works well for small flat surfaces but not around the rivits. I had some experiance working in a signshop years ago where we did some vinyl work before but Im far from an expert.
If the tunnel was straight I would have done the sides all in one piece.....just try to use the lease amount of peaces you can, However the larger the piece is, the harder it is to work with. Good luck feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Oh and about the new boss seat. I really like the look of the seat....I love all the storage. It is very comfortable...just the right stiffness for me. I am a little woried about the stiching of the seat cover, looks like it is made a little cheaper than it used to be. I hope it holds up....time will tell. I checked out the WRP seats and they are much high quality in the fabrics and stiching. but I like the design, looks, weight and storage of the boss. I let you know how it holds up at the end of the season.

Thanks for all the comments on the sled I got the engine back together yesterday and fired her up for the first time all went well.

Last edited:
B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
Its alive!!!! the "to do" list keeps getting smaller and smaller
Snaped a few pics.

kdk_0421.jpg

kdk_0425.jpg

kdk_0426.jpg

Sorry the last one is so fuzzy.

Yes thats Ice in the background, small storm last night.

I've been heat cycling the motor and I took about a 30ft ride across the parking lot tonight. I'm hoping in next day or two to get a road ride in to start breaking in the motor and do some tuning. We NEED SNOW!!

Premium Features