• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha 1 ride review

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Love the Alpha, hate the premature track and hifax wear.
I am use to getting 4,000+ miles on a set of hifax. Meaning i never have to replace hifax.
I'm not sure ill get over 600miles on the Alpha.
Really don't like the wear on the track either.
3bcee13510bcafaa2c28bc71fb6c4ab1.jpg
650d5eb84c98d47b131ee0a304e67ef3.jpg
02c0c42fe3961bc6af2ff79bb9350600.jpg

I have 1000km on mine now and my track and hyfax are mint. I often have to throw down the scratchers on the trail due to engine temperature. So I'm not always in pow.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I found some snow the alpha doesn't like. Not sure any sled would but would have like to try an axys on it. Slick layer with 10 to 12 inches of powder on a steep sidehill. Swaps out in a hurry. I know the doo didn't like it either. Might be a negative and might be on par with the rest of them. Not sure.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I found some snow the alpha doesn't like. Not sure any sled would but would have like to try an axys on it. Slick layer with 10 to 12 inches of powder on a steep sidehill. Swaps out in a hurry. I know the doo didn't like it either. Might be a negative and might be on par with the rest of them. Not sure.

Looks like you’re in the same general area as my buddy. He rode big sky this weekend and said the alpha definitely washed out bad. Same type of snow. 6-8” on top of ice. He said the axys definitely stuck to the hill better, in that snow condition.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I figured the axys would have the edge on that but I am willing to forgive because I wasn't a fan of riding on it anyway. The alpha points you up fast. Almost catches you off guard.

B

Boondockingak

All is still well on my Alpha. No cracks or issues. I haven’t measured my track or hifax, but it appears acceptable to me personally. Even if it’s premature, the performance benefits and advantages over competitors far out weigh some premature wear. I wanted to voice that I completely disagree about the rumors of the Alpha washing out. This is all rider input related. If you’re used to any dual rail sled, you’re going to ride more aggressively with more throttle and working to cut into the slope. The alpha requires much less throttle to hold a steep side hill, and way less rider input. Add too much of either, and you can force it to do something else. Again, this is not a machine problem but a rider input issue. In short, if someone experiences washout, it’s because they haven’t learned how to fully ride it yet.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
All is still well on my Alpha. No cracks or issues. I haven’t measured my track or hifax, but it appears acceptable to me personally. Even if it’s premature, the performance benefits and advantages over competitors far out some premature wear. I wanted to voice that I completely disagree about the rumors of the Alpha washing out. This is all rider input related. If you’re used to any dual rail sled, you’re going to ride more aggressively with more throttle and working to cut into the slope. The alpha requires much less throttle to hold a steep side hill, and way less rider input. Add too much of either, and you can force it to do something else. Again, this is not a machine problem but a rider input issue. In short, if someone experiences washout, it’s because they haven’t learned how to fully ride it yet.
Agree 100% !!!!!!
Throttle control!

That's one reason the Pro works for the general masses, U can squeeze the throttle with very little forward movement. I guess u could say U need less skill...?

Cats have so much more traction, u have to learn throttle control.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
X2 if you are washing out on an Alpha you don't know how to ride an Alpha. Big stabs of the throttle will make you wash out, 100% throttle control.

B

Boondockingak

X2 if you are washing out on an Alpha you don't know how to ride an Alpha. Big stabs of the throttle will make you wash out, 100% throttle control.

I’ve said it before on here, but am I the only one who has discovered that I’m riding the alpha at 1/4-3/4 throttle in the steep and deep to achieve what used to take full throttle and cahoonas to the wall? If anything it takes retraining/restraint due to years of training that you need piles of momentum and full throttle....

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I’ve said it before on here, but am I the only one who has discovered that I’m riding the alpha at 1/4-3/4 throttle in the steep and deep to achieve what used to take full throttle and cahoonas to the wall? If anything it takes retraining/restraint due to years of training that you need piles of momentum and full throttle....
Yes!
Even compared to an 18 Mtn Cat!
To much throttle and ur either going way to fast or spinning donuts when u don't want to.
Best avg fuel mileage from an 800 ever, because of much less throttle. Avg 6-6.5mpg.... i Haven't seen better than 6mpg from a sled since 2005 on a 700 summit.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Got a chance to ride a couple Alphas, 165 & 154 in deep snow in Mccall. I ride an 850 poo.
The Alphas have great hook up and lots of power for an 800, fun to be able to wheelie almost on command. Sled handled well and overall I was very impressed. Look forward to riding one in more and different conditions. One of the two was cutting out at full throttle and not sure what it was, over bar deep and some others sleds were choking out due lack of air.

cycology1

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2017
not sure what happens in the spring, but have a couple hundo miles on my 165 alpha...probably twice that many total sled time...

rode from Vail pass to nova guides for bkfst today (yeah probably better choices but whatever)...we went off the trail for some practice turns in a few meadows and had a blast...not ripping 360s yet tho.

not that I would know any better but being new I didnt really notice the sled being squirrelly at 40ish on the groomed trail with mild ruts.

what is riding a mtn sled like in spring corn? is it possible?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
not sure what happens in the spring, but have a couple hundo miles on my 165 alpha...probably twice that many total sled time...

rode from Vail pass to nova guides for bkfst today (yeah probably better choices but whatever)...we went off the trail for some practice turns in a few meadows and had a blast...not ripping 360s yet tho.

not that I would know any better but being new I didnt really notice the sled being squirrelly at 40ish on the groomed trail with mild ruts.

what is riding a mtn sled like in spring corn? is it possible?
I've rode all 12months on a mountain sled...

P
Jan 17, 2013
For what it’s worth (not much I know) I just finished my annual trip out west. 7th year, 7th different Cat. Had a 165 Alpha and found it just fine on the trail. It did not feel drastically different in terms of steep learning curve, just easier to maneuver in all situations and gets awesome traction. It works. I’ll get another one next year.

Last edited:
Premium Features