• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Advice on riding the Casper Range?

R
Dec 23, 2014
Watertown, SD
Could anyone please advise how to ride the Casper Range? Where do you park and how are the riding areas?

Group out of South Dakota. Off trail tree riding and difficult terrain is preferred. We normally ride Snowy, Tog, and Horns.

Last edited:

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
Are you talking like Casper Mountain? You might as well stay home rather than drive any sort of distance to ride snowmobiles there. Go to one of your normal destinations instead or ride the Black Hills - would bet there’s more snow in the Hills and definitely a lot more trail and terrain to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
If you’re looking for something new with lots of terrain, check out Cooke, West Yellowstone, or the Wyoming range. Make sure everyone in your group has proper avalanche gear and knows how to use it no matter where you ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Only 35-50 miles of trails on Casper Mountain(not sure of exact miles) if that's what you talking about? It does have some areas to play in "IF" the snow is deep and its right after a storm. It is not any type of destination that's for sure. If you live in Casper its 15 mins. up and a great place to test and tune and get a ride in if needed. It is also a great family spot to have a good day with kids. The trails are usual groomed fairly well.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Could anyone please advise how to ride the Casper Range? Where do you park and how are the riding areas?

Group out of South Dakota. Off trail tree riding and difficult terrain is preferred. We normally ride Snowy, Tog, and Horns.

Here is what you need to understand about Casper Mountain - Its basically a residential area :)

There is virtually no off-trail riding to speak of, and "even if you know where to go", the tree riding there can be done in all of 30 minutes.

Basically, if you live in Casper and just want to go ride your sled for a few hours on a Saturday to mess around, thats about all you're going to find. Virtually all the land on Casper Mountain is private or county, and transitioning back to Muddy Mountain you get some state land thrown in the mix, but its all fenced off as "hunter management area" and technically you're not supposed to ride there.

Most years, you're lucky to get a 3' base on Casper and/or Muddy Mountain.

If I was wanting to make a snowmobile trip for the purposes of actually riding, it would definatley not be to Casper.

I grew up there and have been riding there, literally, since I was born, so I know the area(s) pretty well :) ..... and the only time I even bother to bring a snowmobile with me when I go back is usually over Christmas when I'm visiting family, and thats only if there's enough snow we can just go mess around riding the trails we did when we were kids, etc ....

Your time and money will be way better spent going to the Big Horns or the Snowies to be perfectly blunt about it :)

Premium Features