• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

heard an intriguing rumour .....

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
No. Average Joe+boosted sled=liability nightmare. I am sure that Speedwerx will be offering a turn key machine as they have in years past, but this is not a battle Cat needs to fight right now.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Because every idiot that shouldn't own one will and it would be disastrous for warranty claims.

While I agree with that, if it is factory engineered they could put enough fail safes in to help alleviate some of that. A factory designed 2 stroke turbo could work. Just don't run it on the edge for power.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Could you imagine how many times a season a sled would be in the shop for warranty work with a 2 stroke turbo? They are FAR from pull and go, very far... They would have to come with 0 warranty and you would have to set them up and tune them yourself, no way a manufacturer could set them up for every riding area and conditions.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The inherent problem is the tuning. On a 4 stroke you can run pig rich and you just sacrifice some power. On top, you would not even notice it when riding because it wont cough and sputter like a 2 stroke. On a 2 stroke you can have a target AFR of say, 12.4:1 for the machine to run crisp. If you run 12.0:1 it may foul plugs, or load up.

On a four stroke you may find that optimum power is at 12.8:1..........and you can run that bad boy at 11.5:1 all day long.

A closed loop with fail safe would solve this, but it would also probably add $2500 to the price of the sled.

CarbonWerx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2010
Missoula, MT
Could you imagine how many times a season a sled would be in the shop for warranty work with a 2 stroke turbo? They are FAR from pull and go, very far... They would have to come with 0 warranty and you would have to set them up and tune them yourself, no way a manufacturer could set them up for every riding area and conditions.

While I agree with you on this, every turbo manufacturer will swear up and down that their system is pull and go. That is all I hear from them when they are trying to sell a system.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
While I agree with you on this, every turbo manufacturer will swear up and down that their system is pull and go. That is all I hear from them when they are trying to sell a system.

Silber setup on the Axys is as close as pull and go as you can get. The key is hacking the ecu. Piggyback systems are problematic at best. When the perameters can be changed across the whole ecu, then it works pretty good. The factory engineers could do this if they wanted to. Just not sure it is a priority.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Silber setup on the Axys is as close as pull and go as you can get. The key is hacking the ecu. Piggyback systems are problematic at best. When the perameters can be changed across the whole ecu, then it works pretty good. The factory engineers could do this if they wanted to. Just not sure it is a priority.

Yup I'd have to say my silber axys is truely pull and go. Unreal how great this setup is, and with no gauges. Only reason I got it was because it's a reflashed ecu. I have had nothing but headaches in the past with piggy back controllers. Until Silber hacks and puts a setup on an 18 Cat, I'm out on putting a turbo on my Cat.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Cat ecu

Why is it so hard to unlock the cat ecu and change the factory settings?
Is cat doing something to prevent this from happening???

A super charger and the factory ecu tuned to fuel it might be a good fit???

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Why is it so hard to unlock the cat ecu and change the factory settings?
Is cat doing something to prevent this from happening???

A super charger and the factory ecu tuned to fuel it might be a good fit???

The ECU for the new motor is supposed to be hackable. Silber said he is gonna have a kit next year for the Cat. Hope he does it.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Anything can be hacked...just takes time and $$$...

I'm guessing the price point isn't there to hack the AC ECU for a turbo set-up.

Premium Features