• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski doo announces limited 2017 Summit 850 174

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Doorona, What climbs better a 2015 800 T3 163 or a 2015 800 T3 174?

The 174....howver the 165 beats both of them, I ride the 174 all the time, my favourite sled, but your going backwards by putting a 2016 track on the 2017 and adding the rotating weight and not having the 3.5 pitch track. The track is right up there with the engine and clutching as the reason it rips, even though most don't know it. In 2018 all manufactures will have that 3.5 pitch, just you wait, it is that good, they won't be able to deny it.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Nice

I hope your right.
I think the 3.5 inch pitch track is a very good idea.
It's hard for me to believe that doo don't already have the next track longer than a 165-174 ready to go. I'm thinking it'll be a 175 or 182 or something similar is size. The traction would be amazing.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
From test rider feedback, there was lots of ratcheting going on with the G4, I would think adding the traction of a 174 would only make things worse. Remember there are only 6 driver cogs and only 3 contacting at best. Maybe the track was too loose? Don't really know.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
From test rider feedback, there was lots of ratcheting going on with the G4, I would think adding the traction of a 174 would only make things worse. Remember there are only 6 driver cogs and only 3 contacting at best. Maybe the track was too loose? Don't really know.

For sure the ratcheting would be from too loose a track, some dealers will loosen it up to give it the most ooph for sure as I have seen this in the past, but we have had zero ratcheting even on the test sleds which are quite old and 2 developments before the P3's out there now and mine that has 10,000 plus km on it.

If the engineers had the 174+ ready it would be out, but with limited production(due to how many can be made in the allotted time) there is no point in making different sizes, colours etc when they are close to selling out of the production they can make.

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
For sure the ratcheting would be from too loose a track, some dealers will loosen it up to give it the most ooph for sure as I have seen this in the past, but we have had zero ratcheting even on the test sleds which are quite old and 2 developments before the P3's out there now and mine that has 10,000 plus km on it.

If the engineers had the 174+ ready it would be out, but with limited production(due to how many can be made in the allotted time) there is no point in making different sizes, colours etc when they are close to selling out of the production they can make.

Norona, I should of payed more attention to the drivers on the Gen4 but I forgot to. I hope they are better than the stock drivers that ski Doo has been using. It's crazy to me that I had to run my track so tight on my t3 174 stock and it would still ratchet at times, it wouldn't roll on the shop concrete floor and makes 160hp and yet my apex can make 350hp with Avids, roll the track on the shop floor, have nice track sag when off the ground and never ratchet no matter what. They work for a lot of people but definitely don't work for everyone. 7s are horrible with the design of the anti ratchet part of the driver. Hopefully they took a driver making lesson with these new 3.5s cuz they didnt have driver designs figured out.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Norona, I should of payed more attention to the drivers on the Gen4 but I forgot to. I hope they are better than the stock drivers that ski Doo has been using. It's crazy to me that I had to run my track so tight on my t3 174 stock and it would still ratchet at times, it wouldn't roll on the shop concrete floor and makes 160hp and yet my apex can make 350hp with Avids, roll the track on the shop floor, have nice track sag when off the ground and never ratchet no matter what. They work for a lot of people but definitely don't work for everyone. 7s are horrible with the design of the anti ratchet part of the driver. Hopefully they took a driver making lesson with these new 3.5s cuz they didnt have driver designs figured out.

Definitely interesting, neither of my 174, 163 or 154 sleds have ratcheted at all this winter...with 5000km of combined riding. Sorry that is not the case for you, not sure what is up. I am sure if it were common guys would be all over that on the internet...and I definitely don't run my track super tight.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Ratcheting is not such a big deal and is usually caused by a track being to loose, track alignment or both ... Believe it or not even when your track sag is just right, under load in deep snow the track balloons and will swell slightly when in use. Expansion & Contraction is normal for a track and no big deal.

DPG

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
Definitely interesting, neither of my 174, 163 or 154 sleds have ratcheted at all this winter...with 5000km of combined riding. Sorry that is not the case for you, not sure what is up. I am sure if it were common guys would be all over that on the internet...and I definitely don't run my track super tight.

I don't think it's a issue unless it's a 174, 275lb rider, and you seriously beat on. Example, your trying to make a short steep hill with a run and that transition bump from
Flat to the hill was the worst.. It fits 8s stock and it should of had them and it could of had a better anti ratchet design cuz it's to pointed like a Triangle instead of a wall/hook/C.... And no you Polaris guys the answer isn't to just have 1 driver in the center Lmao I'd brake that junk in one ride.

Premium Features