• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'13 KTM 450sx-f always starts...but

sidehillsam

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
Post Falls, Idaho
'13 Ktm 450, the first couple of hrs on every ride, the start button does nothing, or it will turn over for a split second and then it's like a circuit breaker kicks out. This happens once or twice every morning. After this happens, if I wait 45 seconds, it will always start. The bike starts fine the rest of the afternoon. Any ideas?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
'13 Ktm 450, the first couple of hrs on every ride, the start button does nothing, or it will turn over for a split second and then it's like a circuit breaker kicks out. This happens once or twice every morning. After this happens, if I wait 45 seconds, it will always start. The bike starts fine the rest of the afternoon. Any ideas?
Button is dieing happened on my 14 till I had to cut the wire and start to get back

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

What battery do you have.
(Some have an overload cutoff with a 30 second reset)

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
With mine it would get worse and you would have to press the button with 2 hands to engage... also make sure the bottom is not loose....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

sidehillsam

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
Post Falls, Idaho
Battery

The battery I'm using is an Earth-X lithium iron. Are you saying it might be overcharged or undercharged? If it's an overcharge problem I guess I could run with lights and grips on all the time. Bike has larger Trail Tech stator.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Honda style kill switch is a cheap, easy to source replacement start button on KTM. From my experience

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The battery I'm using is an Earth-X lithium iron. Are you saying it might be overcharged or undercharged? If it's an overcharge problem I guess I could run with lights and grips on all the time. Bike has larger Trail Tech stator.

Nothing to do with overcharged or under.

The earth X lithium ion batteries have a built in “safety feature” that makes the battery disconnect if it gets “over drawn” by cold, hard starts or whatever.

Reconnects automatically after 30 seconds.

My brothers bike does that $&#% in the mornings and after longer stops during the day. Stupid design.......

sidehillsam

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
Post Falls, Idaho
Same Earth X battery in my Husky 501, no starting problems with it. I hope the issue is in the battery and not the bike. Both bikes have kickstarters added. After the 450 doesn't start, I get paranoid of pushing the button, and use the kicker,...until the button auto reflex takes over, and back to electric.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Same Earth X battery in my Husky 501, no starting problems with it. I hope the issue is in the battery and not the bike. Both bikes have kickstarters added. After the 450 doesn't start, I get paranoid of pushing the button, and use the kicker,...until the button auto reflex takes over, and back to electric.

My bike has an earth x battery also (smaller than my brothers) my bike always fires right up. Even at 10* below F.

It’s never done the Disconnect BS.

Maybe swap them and see if the problem moves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Premium Features