• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How reliable has your 2018 been?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Thinking very hard about an Alpha One. Just wondering about the fit and finish and reliability of the latest Cat? Are you having issues with hand warmers, gauges, controls that sort of thing??? Panel fit, quality of the fasteners, electrical problems?? Let me know?

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
900 miles. i had 1 loose bolt that i caught in the skid. other than that, its been one of the most durable sleds (hitting ****) that i've owned yet. clutch still looks good and works as intended. Put my spare on before i went west last week just to have a fresh belt (original still looks great).

only complaint i have is same old systemic problem of steering wobble. You would think they would fix that in these things...

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
900km. My throttle heater isn’t working anymore, had the same thing happen on my 2014, throttle block rotated a bit and pulled the wires out. Nut on the end of the steering shaft loosened up. Belt still looks new. And motor still seems to be getting stronger.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
760miles
Original belt. I have never had that many miles on a belt ever!

Oil use is consistently ~50:1
Zukes were ~28:1

If ridden hard this thing is thirsty, will drink a bit more fuel than the zuke. Normal riding it is on par (5.5mpg)

Engine is crisp all the time.

clutching was great till now, midrange lag. Gonna try a new belt, if that doesn't fix it , gonna try new springs.

3in track is very durable, can take some serious abuse!

Engine runs cooler than the Zuke, better on the trail.

The only thing I did to my 18 was Powder Pro skis, after using these on the last 4 sleds the stock skis suck. Had a bog at low rpm and elevation ( Michigan) new injectors installed and problem solved. I had a total of 700 miles on he original belt with no issues. But I did sell it and the Alpha is ordered. By the way the 18 is the best handling sled I have ever owned!!

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
the fit and finish thing kills me . so after bouncing off a tree or 2 then rolling it over a time or 2 how is that fit and finish working out for you . then comes the after lunch ride for more saplings and landmines

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
1220 miles on my Mountain Cat. It’s been phenomenal. Original belt. Add gas and oil. I ride roughly 20 miles of trail to the playgrounds. Low elevation here in Maine. Super hard packed icy trails and lots of stumps. Smoked an a arm early in the season. Easy enough to fix. Love the new panels, smaller diameter bars/grips, gauge with information I care about. Weird flame thrower from the exhaust last weekend but I hear that is being fixed with an ecu update. Honestly couldn’t be happier with it until they introduced the Alpha

bcsnowdog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
frank mountain bc
2000 kms on my 18 zero issues still on original belt.The combination of the new engine and clutch that keeps belt tight really makes it snappy.Love this sled but Alpha will be next level.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Southeast ID
760miles
Original belt. I have never had that many miles on a belt ever!

Oil use is consistently ~50:1
Zukes were ~28:1

If ridden hard this thing is thirsty, will drink a bit more fuel than the zuke. Normal riding it is on par (5.5mpg)

Engine is crisp all the time.

clutching was great till now, midrange lag. Gonna try a new belt, if that doesn't fix it , gonna try new springs.

3in track is very durable, can take some serious abuse!

Engine runs cooler than the Zuke, better on the trail.

try cleaning your clutches, I had the same thing, cleaned the clutches and it came back to life

pitchervy

Lifetime Membership
May 2, 2017
Valpo, Indiana
One exhaust spring broke. (warranty)
Tri-hub bolts were not torqued properly when assembled.
Rope pull handle knot pulled out before the first trip.
Mine has over a thousand miles now.
Original belt and love the clutching.
Starts super easily and runs flawlessly.
Track is VERY durable.
Side panels are awesome.
I’ve banged a few things and bent nothing...
I’d buy mine all over again... but not interested in selling.
Very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
1200 miles on my MC.
Original belt, no issues except beltpan around exhaust exit melting(dealer is going to look at it next week).
First thing I did before I even rode it was a set of CFR bars and relocated the handlebar switches, best thing I ever did. I love the sled.

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
1200 miles on my MC.
Original belt, no issues except beltpan around exhaust exit melting(dealer is going to look at it next week).
First thing I did before I even rode it was a set of CFR bars and relocated the handlebar switches, best thing I ever did. I love the sled.

Can u throw some pics and info on your handlebar setup I plan on doing this to my alpha? Love the cfr bars theyre not as rigid as stockers, easier on the hands on big jumps.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
CFR crowbar with stock 4.5" riser
Another popular option is the boondocker bar(2" rise vs 1") and a 2 inch riser, slightly more expensive going that route
fdfb4f72a23b8a96c868edca61916568.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
issues

we have 2 of these, both have had days when the throttle safety switch wants to act up.
Mainly after a good stuck and rolling over to get out or super deep powder days.
thinking of just eliminating it all together.
But it is the best handling running sled ever owned.
I am pushing 60 and its made me a better rider.

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
900 miles on mine. Had both nuts on the end of the drive shaft by the brake back off......but it was covered under warranty and there's an update for it now. Throttle sensor went last trip but just unhooked it and no issues. Other than that no issues. Original belt. Love the sled. No regrets whatsoever. Snowchecked it without even seeing one.

Premium Features