• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Bore or Turbo?

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Sled needs a good teardown and build this Summer at 3500 miles. Some electrical parts failing so instead of buying new thinking of big bore or a turbo kit. Mainly ride 6-8k elevation. Finding I want a bit more out of the sled now, and want some opinions from people who have the setups, what they run and what it cost. Also overall reliability. Thanks.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
I was looking towards the 858 big bore once I snowchecked my 2014 for when I am do for a rebuild. Needless to say, I threw my leg over a boosted ‘13 and that totally changed my mind! I scored a used intercooled, cold air intake, external wastegate BD for a fairly decent price for my ‘14 a couple weeks ago. Glad I went BOOST!

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Sled needs a good teardown and build this Summer at 3500 miles. Some electrical parts failing so instead of buying new thinking of big bore or a turbo kit. Mainly ride 6-8k elevation. Finding I want a bit more out of the sled now, and want some opinions from people who have the setups, what they run and what it cost. Also overall reliability. Thanks.

It all depends on how much more HP you want/need. I went the boost route. You can add ~30HP or even ~70HP, or more. All with a change of a spring that takes 2 minutes. At the end, you can change it back to stock and add the turbo to another sled. With a Big Bore, you only have what you got, no more. Your call.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
3500 is a lot of miles to be putting a bunch of HP and fresh parts on. You will be better off parting your current sled out or selling for a fresher sled to upgrade...or find one with the mods already. Resale on turbos is not much more than a standard sled.

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
3500 is a lot of miles to be putting a bunch of HP and fresh parts on. You will be better off parting your current sled out or selling for a fresher sled to upgrade...or find one with the mods already. Resale on turbos is not much more than a standard sled.
If I followed those rules, I would be buying a sled every 2-3 years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

I agree unless you have plenty of time to wrench mid season if something goes wrong. And to add a turbo to a sled with 3,500 miles is asking for issues.

This motor is not bigbore friendly.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I've done both, and I can say hands down go turbo, turbo is a guaranteed power adder, I've seen and personally experienced big bore kits and while they do add some power, its still nothing like a turbo. with the older age of these pro's there's good deals to be found for some used kits out there, or buy new.

Even if you ran a turbo at only 3# you'd still make more hp than the big bore and you now have the basics to add power by the turn of a dial. If you run at elevation your just bringing the sled back to what it would of been at sea level depending on boost pressures and elevation so is it that much harder on the engine? probably not. plus if your engine has issues or you throw a piston, at least you can opt to go with a re-man set of cylinders and new pistons of your sorts, big bore you're limited big time.

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Octanee nailed it. Big thing missing. When Naturally aspirated you lose 3% hp for every 1,000 feet in elevation.

A Turbo is less then 1%. That’s a major advantage here. I got on a BD turbo race set up. Wow! Even with 6-7 lbs of boost is amazing. Of course I’m not a small fry here 6’4” with about 250 with my gear on. You would notice.

Also let me add. The fuel consumption can be less with a turbo too. Lot less throttle is used! Unless you have a heavy thumb....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Do both

We just got tuning a sled with a Silber Turbo and our 860 Big Bore. We use the power commander to make the fuel changes. Sled is running strong!! Fun little project!!
sled had the turbo already and then added the big bore this season. He has over 1000 miles on it so far this season.

We have a great price on the big bore kits right now too!

http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=220&controller=product

silber turbo pro r 860.jpg

Premium Features