• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Psychosled "Bridge" Fuel Controller

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Here is my report from the first real day of riding....

Elevation: 6,300-7,000ft
Temperature: 0 degrees

Unloaded the sled from the trailer and allowed a full warmup.
Sled started right up with no hesitation
Looped around the large parking lot and hit the gas, WOT.
Ran right up against the Rev Limiter again!

Got off the hard pack and into a foot of fresh ultra light/dry powder and NEVER hit the rev limiter again for the rest of the day!

Over the course of the day the sled ran Very Strong and delivered all the power I asked of it.

I still seem to have some little niggle going on at idle though, and its only sometimes, not all the time. Once or twice the sled refused to go from Idle (abt 1,500rpm) to any higher speed without significant hesitation or stumbling. Once it stalled outright. But 9 out of 10 times it worked perfectly. Start, full throttle, go...

Other than this one little niggle I had absolutely NO ISSUES at all with my sled today:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap.
Just ran great exactly like she was supposed to!

Loads of happy supercharged power!!

Now, this was NOT a definitive test!
I only managed to get a couple of hours of riding in today do to my 2nd sled barfing its oil and having to go back to the trailer for an early ride home.

But based on all that I did today, I would say the "PsychoSled Bridge" is performing pretty much just as advertised.

Now, one additional negative comment.
I am super disappointed in the DynoJet LCD display.
This is not a reflection on PsychoSled at all, but on DynoJet.
That dang thing was a Pain In The Butt all day long.

Every time I started the engine the screen would do something different.
Change the Display
Go into Calibration Mode
Go into Setup Mode
Ect..
And more than half the time the screen would Not respond to any input at all.
Just found it to be very unusable.

If I had it to do over (and I do!) I would just install GAUGES.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Barfing oil generally = frozen Roll Over Valve (did it blow a line; or what?)

As we discussed before...

The small stumble off of idle, and intermittent "poor idle" is most likely due to your bypass valve. If it is failing to dump inherent boost pressure at idle, the controller is reading "unreleased" pressure in the IC and fueling accordingly.
You may try backing the pre-load off it entirely, or we can go the other route we discussed.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am SOOO not worried about the idle issue.!

Your little black box NAILED to real issues and I am 100% certain we will get the idle resolved next week.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Barfing oil generally = frozen Roll Over Valve (did it blow a line; or what?).

Spent a few hours chasing that down last night, this it was an error on my son's part. But, its really totally unrelated to your product review and I don't want to take this thread off topic chasing after such an unrelated issue.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Finally managed to get in a full day's riding on the sled today.
It's performance on the short limited run 2 weeks ago was duplicated on todays long run.

While at idle, the engine died ONCE on me today when I first touched the throttle.

While at idle, the engine stumbled and tried to die TWICE on me when I first tried to go above idle. With a little gentle finese it got past the "burble" and was fine.

At all elevation 7,000-9,000ft the engine ran STRONG and TRUE with ZERO issues!

No Hesitations
No Cutouts
No Misses!

None of the problems I had last season that drove me looking for an alternative solution.

Sidenote.
Not sure if this is related and it is NOT verified yet.
It "Seemed" like I was burning through more gas today than ever before.

I did not start out with a full tank this morning, so I could not run a mileage check on it. Will do that later in the week just to be 100% sure. But it did seem like my gas gauge was dropping down faster than before.

All in all, other than the defective LCD Display, and what appears to be a very minor niggle at idle, I think I can fully endorse this product as doing exactly what it advertises!

Now, one additional negative comment.
I am super disappointed in the DynoJet LCD display.
This is not a reflection on PsychoSled at all, but on DynoJet.
That dang thing was a Pain In The Butt all day long.

Every time I started the engine the screen would do something different.
Change the Display
Go into Calibration Mode
Go into Setup Mode
Ect..
And more than half the time the screen would Not respond to any input at all.
Just found it to be very unusable.
christopher,
My apologies that you are seeing difficulty when using your LCD screen in the field. You are not the first to have issues with your screen in the snowmobile world.
This display was designed in 2009 with the release of the PCV for the streets and those people wishing to have additional capability on their Harley, Sportbike, Cruiser. This LCD was never designed for snow use - but merely fell into the hands of backcountry riders wishing to tinker and tune in the field. The LCD met their needs in terms of functionality, but not durability. A product being used outside of its intended design scope happens everyday, this case being no different.

That being said, I and 6 others in my area all use LCD screens here in MT. We leave ours in the cold overnight, pack them full of snow during the day, and we have never personally seen an issue of water inclusion or cold snap causing a problem. I even ride my sled without the little door closure covering the port and don't have the foam seal plug over screen connection. Never a hiccups in miles of use.

Another note, we are very pleased that Jeff and Psychosled has chosen Dynojet products to fuel the Yamaha machines. It is a wonderful market to be involved in, and Jeff is making a great splash. Keep up the great work.

Regards,
~T.J.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is just a "Guess".
But I am guessing one of two things are happening here.

#1.
It is honestly a defective unit that just refuses to maintain any of it's programing, thus reverting back to a new install each time the sled is powered up. The screen no longer responds to finger touch. The only way to navigate is through the directional buttons on the side.

#2.
The PCV is getting too hot being mounted on or next to the radiator and the heat is effecting the LDS Memory settings that are stored in the PCV ???

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
I have had the same LCD issues you are describing on a few occasions.

There are ways to work around these issues and return the screen to proper operations... it is a matter of becoming familiar with it, and accepting the fact is was designed to be on a Harley at Daytona Beach in July.

That being said, when the unit performs properly, it is one of the best tools I have ever used. It was key in developing the Bridge fuel system.

I have spoken with TJ about a more "sled environment" based LCD design, but alas... the sled industry commands a very small sector of DynoJet's products. They are aware of our needs, and have many "new" designs and ideas on the design board.

I suggest calling DynoJet and voicing your opinion. Everyone of us they hear from can help in expediting a final solution.

As far as your "burble" off idle... a couple quick burps of the flipper will help unseat the bypass valve, and allow it to actually bypass the overage of air going to the engine at idle (and subsequent fuel). Once the valve loosens up, that issue should subside... until you park the sled again for any amount of time.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As far as your "burble" off idle... a couple quick burps of the flipper will help unseat the bypass valve, and allow it to actually bypass the overage of air going to the engine at idle (and subsequent fuel). Once the valve loosens up, that issue should subside... until you park the sled again for any amount of time.
And that is pretty much just what I saw last weekend.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
So is this issue only related to SC? Or will a turbo sled have the same issue?

Mike

It isn't an issue with the fuel control. It is an issue with the bypass / blow-off valve.

Whether it presents or not depends on what valve is installed. We are using a much different valve than what Christopher has, with much better results.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Moto will no doubt be getting me a MUCH BETTER BLOW OFF valve for the big SnoWest ride in Cooke City !! :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

This is just a "Guess".
But I am guessing one of two things are happening here.

#1.
It is honestly a defective unit that just refuses to maintain any of it's programing, thus reverting back to a new install each time the sled is powered up. The screen no longer responds to finger touch. The only way to navigate is through the directional buttons on the side.

#2.
The PCV is getting too hot being mounted on or next to the radiator and the heat is effecting the LDS Memory settings that are stored in the PCV ???
christopher,
These are both very logical guesses and possible causes of your issues.

A1) Each time the machine is powered up, 12V begins running through the system. I have seen that a "low volt" condition up start-up will wreak havoc with the LCD. It immediately attempts to power up flashing to white, but if the power is not sustained at a steady level thus toggling on/off on/off may times, it will reset. This is most seen on machines equipped with failing stators, low output voltage systems, or dying batteries. If your machine is pulling a significant voltage/current draw powering external gauges, pumps, fans, etc., or a mini battery, this low voltage occurrence may be the root cause.

A2) External heat does not affect the internals of the PCV as it is isolated in an insulating potting. Power and communication for the gauge is pulled from the open CAN port where you plugged in the LCD cable. If the network that the CAN communication relies on was not live feeding that port -- then the raw channel (Duty cycle, %TP) would not be functioning inside the PCV either -- and the machine would not be running.

And indeed a defective unit is a possibility as well. Contacting our Vegas office and getting set up with an RA# will start that process so we can examine your screen.
Jeff is correct that we have received calls, and emails informing us of problems encountered when using the LCD in winter climates. At the current time, our engineering resources are tapped out running 100% and we have no plan of action to create a new weatherproof display. Ideas are stewing, and the input of fellow sledders is key to developing this accessory. I've had the same findings as Jeff during every season of development - that the LCD is an irreplaceable tuning tool aiding greatly in creating a flawless running machine.

Thanks guys!

~T.J.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just a little more followup.

Got in a good long ride on Saturday.
Had ZERO issues with the bridge!
No Engine Stalls, No Burbles, NO problems at all this time around.

Ran strong and true all day long!

Really VERY happy now! :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I can now make a DEFINITIVE statement on the Bridge.

Spent the last 3 days in Cooke City riding.

The Bridge worked flawlessly!

My sled has never ridden so well!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
christopher,
These are both very logical guesses and possible causes of your issues.

A1) Each time the machine is powered up, 12V begins running through the system. I have seen that a "low volt" condition up start-up will wreak havoc with the LCD. It immediately attempts to power up flashing to white, but if the power is not sustained at a steady level thus toggling on/off on/off may times, it will reset. This is most seen on machines equipped with failing stators, low output voltage systems, or dying batteries. If your machine is pulling a significant voltage/current draw powering external gauges, pumps, fans, etc., or a mini battery, this low voltage occurrence may be the root cause.

A2) External heat does not affect the internals of the PCV as it is isolated in an insulating potting. Power and communication for the gauge is pulled from the open CAN port where you plugged in the LCD cable. If the network that the CAN communication relies on was not live feeding that port -- then the raw channel (Duty cycle, %TP) would not be functioning inside the PCV either -- and the machine would not be running.

And indeed a defective unit is a possibility as well. Contacting our Vegas office and getting set up with an RA# will start that process so we can examine your screen.
Jeff is correct that we have received calls, and emails informing us of problems encountered when using the LCD in winter climates. At the current time, our engineering resources are tapped out running 100% and we have no plan of action to create a new weatherproof display. Ideas are stewing, and the input of fellow sledders is key to developing this accessory. I've had the same findings as Jeff during every season of development - that the LCD is an irreplaceable tuning tool aiding greatly in creating a flawless running machine.

Thanks guys!

~T.J.
Just a followup post on this issue.
I have now removed the DynoJet display unit and am replacing it with a dedicated gauge instead. Not sure if mine was defective or just honestly not appropriate for this environmental use.

The Bridge is working GREAT.
No issues there at all.
But I was never able to get a single ride in with the DynoJet display working properly and not resetting itself everytime I started the engine.

The Display is on it's way back to Pyschosled.

Premium Features