• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Yamaha ASCENT Track & AVID drivers

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
A few weeks ago I fired off a couple of letters to Yamaha Motor Sports asking them if I could purchase one of the new Ascent Tracks to install on my Nytro and do a full season review. Well, the weeks went by and I never had a reply back from them.

Then today, totally out of the blue a large box arrives at the office from yamaha with my name on it.

No note, no comments, no phone call.

Just a box.

Apparently Yamaha got my letter and simply decided to provide me with a demo track to ride and review.....

picture.php

picture.php

Cut open the top and sure enough.
A brand spanking new YAMAHA ASCENT TRACK !!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
Good for you, you really deserved this. So many parts you have purchased and then made a full rewiew to all of us. Tried and failed. Looking forward to this review :face-icon-small-hap

Go Yamaha !

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Give me a week or two, and I will remove the OEM Skid and Track from my sled and install the new KMOD, Ascent and AVIDs all at once.

Yes, Yamaha came through for us in a BIG WAY on this.
Far beyond anything I had hoped for.

And I really do hope that this track lives up to some of the comments I have read from test riders using it last season.

And if the "Peak" flavor in 2.5 and 3.0 lug height performs just as well, then we might have our first challenger to the "Challenger Extreme" in years...

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
Killer that you got a new track to demo and write up, I wish someone would send me some free stuff. But my question is how are you going to compare the track to anything since you will also have a new skid which will dramatically affect performance and of course a super charger which will be a game changer. So effectively you will be riding a new sled, at least in terms of how it feels on the snow. It will probably perform much better than before, but is that the result of the skid, SC, or track?

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Killer that you got a new track to demo and write up, I wish someone would send me some free stuff. But my question is how are you going to compare the track to anything since you will also have a new skid which will dramatically affect performance and of course a super charger which will be a game changer. So effectively you will be riding a new sled, at least in terms of how it feels on the snow. It will probably perform much better than before, but is that the result of the skid, SC, or track?

Agree 100%

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Honestly don't know at this point.
The summer mods got TOTALLY out of control.

For all intents and purposes I will be riding a new sled this year, between the front and rear suspension, engine and track. But I suspect there will be opportunities to isolate how the various components are working, and how they are working together or against each other.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I would offer up, that in this case it would be best to ride the ascent track in a designated location, and then ride the same location with your old track in similar conditions on another day. I believe that would be the only way to compare track performance since everything else on the sled will be the same. The snow conditions wouldn't be exact, but as long as your not riding powder with one and hard pack with the other it should be close enough for us.

It doesn't take too much work to swap a track, and inquiring minds want to know!

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I would offer up, that in this case it would be best to ride the ascent track in a designated location, and then ride the same location with your old track in similar conditions on another day. I believe that would be the only way to compare track performance since everything else on the sled will be the same. The snow conditions wouldn't be exact, but as long as your not riding powder with one and hard pack with the other it should be close enough for us.

It doesn't take too much work to swap a track, and inquiring minds want to know!

x * pi!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Tell ya what.
If you want to come up and make a day of it with me, then I am game to give it a try.

But that means we have to swap out tracks TWICE in the same day, and I am not sure I am up to that task out in the field, but you might be much more of a mechanic than I am??

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Tell ya what.
If you want to come up and make a day of it with me, then I am game to give it a try.

But that means we have to swap out tracks TWICE in the same day, and I am not sure I am up to that task out in the field, but you might be much more of a mechanic than I am??

Or you could install your Avids, KMOD and the original track initially, ride it a few times to work out the suspension and so on. Then swap out the tracks, ride it a few more times, then post your thoughts on the Ascent track vs. the original.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
but it would be a more honest comparison to swap it out right in the field on the same day in the same location.

Premium Features