• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Companies that finance the enviro-zealots

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Here are some links that tell of Burton and CamelBak (and some others) giving to the envro-zealots:

Winter Wildlands supported by these folks (you can click the other links to find out more and who else)

Conservation Alliance with an article here on amounts, plus money given here and here. There are more, but just posted a few sites in case you're interested to know that the money you spend with these folks partially goes to shutting us down.

If anyone else has links to companies that give to the enviro-zealots, please post them so we can call make informed decisions on our purchases.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Cat,

Thank you for posting this. I'm a tightwad, but do pay attention to whom I spend money with when I spend any.

Jerry

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
I went through those web sites and all.
Now I'm pizzed.

It's not that there were any great surprizes in there, there wasn't any. But that I just get pizzed when ever I'm subjected to that greenie propaganda.
I made the mistake on one of those sites of reading an article about snowmobiles.
They said that sleds can drop as much as 1/3 of the fuel/oil mix into the ground/enviroment along with a few other out right lies.

Argh. That's part of why we lose in dealing with these idiots.
They lie and their sheep follow them.

Sorry, I didn't meen to hi-jack your thread. Just had to vent that one off.
I'll poach your links and throw them up on the other sled sites I advertize on.

Last edited:

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
I think it's good for us all to be informed. I know I don't want to be spending money with companies that use their profits to give to enviro-zealots to try to shut us out of Public Lands.

No worries SD.....I think it's good for some discussion and feedback on what is going on with regards to this. It does tick one off to read this stuff!! At the same time, at least we help each other out with not supporting those whom don't support us.

When we see this sort of thing, we can talk with our $$$......and we can also let others know (whether they sled or not) that these folks outright lie.

Sandy

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
keep track of the greenies

Catwoman thank you for the info, keep posting what you find and we will pass it on. this will be a combined effort, even if we are from different states we all have to help each other and help spread the word. keep the info flowing!

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Back to the top. Let's build this thread so we can all make informed decisions on our purchases. I sure wish we had carried this one forward from the old site.

S
Dec 3, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
I knew those companies fund these organizations, and it makes me mad because I like some of them. Take REI and The North Face, I have had north face pants for a while and I really like them (won't be buying notrth face next time around). REI is a great store, especially if you do any backcountry camping. I try hard not to spend money there.

I read a little about the Winter Wildlands Alliance (WWA), they are pretty far out there. They are combating global warming by shutting down wilderness to motorized sports? Hmmmm....... Sounds like Al Gore propoganda to me. They are talking about temp changes in the 20th century of up to 3-5 deg rise in avg temps. Everything I have heard says if that were to happen we would living a world with virtually no snow.

I propose that in lands that are closed to motorized vehicles it should be that. I know around here they groom the ski trails, I say no to that. If they want to ski in wilderness let them with out groomed trails. Give them a couple years of blazing there own trails and dealing with crappy trails all winter long and see if there opinion changes at all.

I would like to start a list of motorized friendly companies. I would like to know what other options I have to go buy gear.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Maine
i know this doesnt pertain to most of you as you live out west but DO NOT BUY BURTS BEES PRODUTS!!! the owner of the company is buying up 1000's of acres of the North Maine Woods and closing it to everyone but hikers. NO HUNTING, FISHING, OR MOTORIZED VIECHLES ALOWED ON HER LAND! while the land loss doesnt affect you (it certainly does affect me)you can still help by not buying burts bees cosmetic products which are sold at many natural products places as well as Borders Books and encouraging others to stay away as well. your help would be appreciated by others struggling for land use.

thanks from us already disadvantaged easter seaboard sledders

Last edited:

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Mainer, thanks for that info on that product!! :) Yes, we do see it here in the NW. I actually was considering purchasing some, but no longer.....and I'll make sure I pass that info along. Their lip balm is touted all over as being great, especially in summer....but I'll find something else now.

One tip....you might want to change that yellow text to red or blue, or something that stands out more. That yellow is really hard to read. We want this info to get out easily to everyone.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
dang I like burts bees stuff, but when this tube runs out it will be back to chap stick for me.

I like the idea of pro motor companies!!! Davinci pipes for bikes puts money back into the cause, as does O'neal riding gear.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
It makes perfect sense to me now why I quit snowboarding (although I didn't ever own a Burton). I also regret buying my Camelback even though I haven't even used it once in the 6 yrs I have owned it. Good info, we need to get a thread going that showcases all the places we can support that support keeping land OPEN!!!

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
yeah I was mad when I found out about Camelback. Hell Dirt Rider(i think) even did a write up and loved the options from camelback for woods riders.

anyone know of a good company that makes a fanny pack style water pack. I hate wearing a back pack with my chest protector.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Maine
roxanne quimby is the name of the burst bees lady. she so far has spent somewhere around 15 million dollars on about 40,000 acres of land. she is working with others to try and start a national park in the NMW which is the center of maines logging industry as well as the best hunting, fishing and sledding in the state. the NMW is basicly 3.6 million acres of undeveloped land and she want to turn 3.2 million acres of it into a national forest. this would kill the timber harvesting, mills and lumber companies in this state all for what? so people can hike and ride there bikes through the woods? theres so much heritage and history there and to shut it down to those of us who like to hunt and fish and ride our sleds... its ridiculous. she claims the park would provide jobs to make up for the loss of timber related jobs but honestly how? she is planning on running for govener of this state next time around.

thanks to those who are willing to help

side note: also add teva sandals to the list of donaters to the enviro-nazis.

Last edited:
O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
UGH! I LOVE Burt's Bees. =( Sob!!!!

Once you start digging, you will find that many, many, many outdoor manufacturers support one or more environmental organizations. It can get very depressing when you start researching how to best use your purchasing power. I've almost had to stop in fear that I may just have to go naked! (don't even go there fellas!!!) ;)

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Now that I think on it, I have heard of that psycho out in Maine.

side note: also add teva sandals to the list of donaters to the enviro-nazis.

Didn't need to tell em that one. One look at al the hippies feet in MN told me that.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
How do you guys go outside doing outdoors stuff without buying from these types of companies?

I have boughten from many of the companies and will continue to do so if it the product that best suits me. I don't see the point in buying inferior products. It seems that the only companies that don't support anti-snowmobile groups are snowmobile companies.

I am curious how this is like for the fishing, hunting, boating industries too, ie if they support anti-snowmobiling groups too.

S
Dec 3, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
I am trying to give my money to companies that aren't giving enviromental groups, but I will buy the best equipment I can find. I have been a good customer to cabelas and love there stores. I would be supprised if they gave to enviromental groups. Cabelas has tons of dead animals on the walls and my experiences are that enviromentaists hate hunting just as mush as motorized sports. Cabelas makes a good quality product that will comare to anyone elses.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I propose that in lands that are closed to motorized vehicles it should be that. I know around here they groom the ski trails, I say no to that. If they want to ski in wilderness let them with out groomed trails. Give them a couple years of blazing there own trails and dealing with crappy trails all winter long and see if there opinion changes at all.

I would like to start a list of motorized friendly companies. I would like to know what other options I have to go buy gear.

They don't allow groomers into Wilderness areas do they?
I sure f'in hope not otherwise isn't that a bit of a double standard?

I say we go a step further and not allow NON-MOTORIZED in motorized areas.
Seems when they are in the areas we're allowed in they just try to kick us out....we should do it 1st for a change.
Tell them it's for their own safety....by that meaning not getting lynched by us.

S
Dec 3, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
I know here they groom the cross country ski trails with a snowmobile and some kind of pull behind groomer that puts the ski tracks in the groomed trail. If they are going to have motorized and non-motorized areas that is what they sould be. If people want human horsepower break your own trail. I still think we should all have access to our FS no matter what sport do in the snow.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
I am trying to give my money to companies that aren't giving enviromental groups, but I will buy the best equipment I can find. I have been a good customer to cabelas and love there stores. I would be supprised if they gave to enviromental groups. Cabelas has tons of dead animals on the walls and my experiences are that enviromentaists hate hunting just as mush as motorized sports. Cabelas makes a good quality product that will comare to anyone elses.

the only problem is that cabales gives to conservation organizations that support more wilderness for the benefit of wildlife. Most hunting groups are convervations groups which support more wilderness. And i love to hunt. I am a member of the rocky mountain elk foundation. They are not against sleds but are for more wilderness. Does that make them againts us? I don't know, the answer.

You will never find a store that meets all of your political needs.

Premium Features