• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking to buy...some advice?

F
Feb 4, 2019
I just rode my buddies 2013 KTM 450 attached to a 2017 Timbersled 120 with TSS and loved it!!!

I’m near Tahoe, and we get some powder days but not a ton. I’m 215 lbs. with gear on. There is a 2015 Ktm 450 with a 2015 Mountain Horse 137 for sale near me. The setup has no TSS. It’s going for what seems to be a great price, but I’m concerned that I’ll feel the difference between the sleds and be disappointed.

I’ve been riding dirt for a long time, and I usually can’t tell much between the premium set ups and more middle of the road stuff. Do y’all think a newbie would feel a lot of difference between these two setups?

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
buy it

bike and kit for sale will be good..

take $489 and upgrade the ski and spindle to the ARO, all good.

All the money in the world you can't really buy a kit that will blow you away better than the one you describe. Yeah some incremental improvement here and there for another $10k.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
And...

you can add TSS for $500 down the road if you think it's a game-changer. I am like you and often can't tell a huge difference between setups. You are getting a 2-year-newer bike and a 2-year-older kit versus the first setup you tried. My .02 is to take your time to shop around...there are deals to be had everywhere.... the more you ride, the more you can understand the differences/options out there. Even if you found a rental place with 3-4 different setups, the money you spend there is money well spent if it helps inform your buying decision. There may well be snowbikers in your area who would let you ride their setups etc.

B
I'd spend the money on the newest kit you can afford.

I'd not settle for an older kit, an older bike, sure, but I'd get the newest/most recent kit possible.

My BIL had me put on new 2018 and 2019 Camso DTS 129 kits on his 2008 CRF450X and KTM 300XC-W and I'd rather have an older bike with a new kit than a newish bike and an older kit.

I'd rather not be riding around thinking 'What if . . . '

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I'd spend the money on the newest kit you can afford.

I'd not settle for an older kit, an older bike, sure, but I'd get the newest/most recent kit possible.

My BIL had me put on new 2018 and 2019 Camso DTS 129 kits on his 2008 CRF450X and KTM 300XC-W and I'd rather have an older bike with a new kit than a newish bike and an older kit.

I'd rather not be riding around thinking 'What if . . . '

I think you got it backwards.... a 2001 yfz450 with a brand new track sure aint gonna get you very far as far as reliability goes.

on the other hand, a 2019 yfz450 on a 15 timbersled will go forever.

I know id sure be thinking "what if" on an older bike every time I twisted the throttle. a 5 or 6 year old skid thats beat on wont necessarily leave you stranded in the bush. a 5 or 6 year old bike thats been beat on hard will.

the maintenance and repairs on those older worn out 4 strokes start at $2000 for a bottom end, piston and head work and go up very quickly from there if you need other small odds and ends, especially if you cant do bottom ends yourself. not to mention a longggggg walk outta the mountains when they do blow, then a real chitty tow out the next day if youre not prepared to tow that day. fuel for trucks back and forth, 2 machines, buying your buddy lunch and beers for hauling you outta there all adds up real quick on those older bikes. my 13 with 58 snowbike hours has been through 2 pistons already and the head is on its way out next.

remember, no one sells their bike because its running perfectly and has lots of life left in it...

Last edited:
Premium Features