• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yeti belt sliding off the sprockets AND tensioner wheel

B
Nov 29, 2018
Do you have the upper bearing support with the shims? If you don’t know take a picture of the upper bearing from the muffler side of the bike.
If you don’t I think the upper bearing, support and belt are covered by the dealer. I think.
You do need the puller, I don’t think a hammer is a good idea. I had access to a puller when I updated my upper bearing support. There is a thread on all the recalls/service bullitens below.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
ahh thats right, I seen that thread.

this is the one:

"2) SB017 - 120SS/129SS Belt Drive Alignment - January 26th 2018
Installation of new bearing and alignment of belt drive.
Needs to be done at dealer required specific Yeti Alignment Tools."

If that service bulletin came out Jan 2018 I’ve had the kit since before Jan 2018 so it definitely hasn’t had that one done yet

where do you get that press tool from? googling shows up with nothing. and even on the yeti page when they talk about swapping bearings (every 4-5 years) there is zero mention of the special tool needed, although they mention it for the brake pad swap. is that the one?

Last edited:
B
Nov 29, 2018
I used the dealers tool but you may find a puller that will work at a auto parts store.
The special bearing holder is the upper/inside one. It is not the one in the picture you last included.

800tundra

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Dapp, Alberta
can Prob do a quick check and hear bearings if u unhook chain and roll over assembly and compare to another. But agree first step would be ruling out bearings and alignment. Also I Had to much slop in my tensioner to tensioner bearing clearance on mine ,but the actual bearing was fine, and sawed through multiple covers. Prob due to fact of running it one time not tensioned properly.i pulled off to compare to another and seemed fine, just barely a little more slop than another good tensioner.. Everything would seem fine ,drive it for approx 5 miles , enough For the pulley to warm up and expand and belt would walk off and saw through the cover.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I cant get my phone or head in there to see that inner bearing holder. I do know that ive had the bike since feb 2017 and it hasnt had any updates or dealer visits or anything since then. so it probably doesnt have that upgraded bearing holder.

im hesitant to take it apart to investigate as the dealer is looking into the warranty work for me and I may just let them take care of everything. I suppose popping the chain off and checking the bearings isnt too tough to do.

I did fine this though... the rear brake rotor seems like its loose and wobbly. could that be part of my problem or is that something different altogether?

https://youtu.be/9rmvT9h4yLw

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
I did fine this though... the rear brake rotor seems like its loose and wobbly. could that be part of my problem or is that something different altogether?

https://youtu.be/9rmvT9h4yLw[/QUOTE

Quite a common design IMO. The rotor is probably intentionally connected to the spline portion of the shaft with the intent to cause a "floating" mount. The caliper would then be more rigidly mounted (except for the pad wear-compensating guide rails).

Something has to accommodate the inevitable misalignment between rotor and pad in order to get full pad contact and even wear, as you can never manufacture surfaces to be toleranced 100% square to each other after assembly. Even working deflection of the shaft and caliper needs corrective alignment as it functions. It's quite a common design practice to build in this float.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
ohhh ok. thats good to know. I was worried that stuff in there was damaged and loose.

I called yeti and it sounds like its easily a warranty issue.

also called the 2 local yeti dealers that are an hour in each direction, neither of them knew what I was talking about and the one has never even touched or worked on a yeti yet. so thats kind of concerning.

right now it looks like Ghost Rider Motorsports in Fernie, AB is my best bet, a little over an hour away but they are a brand new yeti dealer too and arent too familiar with it so im hoping I dont need to lug this thing 5 hours to northern AB to have it fixed!

glad to hear it will be warrantied though, huge kudos to yeti for that and thanks to you guys for informing me about this... my winter might be saved yet! ive only ridden once this year due to a motor rebuild and that ride was shut down after 1/3rd of a tank due to this belt issue. hopefully I can get it figured out soon.

I will keep you guys updated.

thanks!

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
dropped the bike off at cycleworks foothills in okotoks today! wish me luck.

yeti takes a 2 hour lunch break (wow) so I wasnt able to get an answer today.

last winter I NAILED a rock with my skid...sent me over the bars, made the bike front flip, smashed the black deflector piece, the clear case, and dented the brand new lower sprocket in that I just put on a tiny bit. I was able to file the sprocket so the belt fit nicely back in the 3 barely rushed teeth and continue running it for the whole winter with no problems. I even rode for an hour this winter with no problems (engine rebuild all winter for both me and my riding buddy, was our first ride out). so im sure thats not the issue. im hoping they dont try to blame it on that.

the issue started on the way home because buddies RMK was running rough. it was downhill, trail, smooth, and I was feeling good so I went a tad fast... thats when I heard the "bzzzt" sawing sound randomly. so im sure it has nothing to do with the hit I took last winter and minor bent lower sprocket that ive got 20-30 problem free hours on so far.

will keep you all updated.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
im covered!! Yeti is fixing it for me. waiting on parts which should be here today or tomorrow.

I need to pay some labor though. theyre .5 hours into it right not @ $125 an hour so about $60.. not horrible. im hoping they at least hook me up with a new belt too.

just in time for nice weather and fresh pow this weekend!!!!!:face-icon-small-coo

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
im covered!! Yeti is fixing it for me. waiting on parts which should be here today or tomorrow.

I need to pay some labor though. theyre .5 hours into it right not @ $125 an hour so about $60.. not horrible. im hoping they at least hook me up with a new belt too.

just in time for nice weather and fresh pow this weekend!!!!!:face-icon-small-coo

Yeti /camso has exceptional service

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
yeah id have to agree. they were super slow on shipping the parts out (going to take like 10 days total, I was approved on friday, parts got shipped wednesday) but overall I cant complain. better than nothing. im just glad to be back in the game, 10 months and $4000 later!!!

B
Nov 29, 2018
They are charging you labor to perform the work involved in the service bulletin?
So I know of a Yeti dealer who performs this service at no charge to the customer and receives compensation from Yeti, including the bearing, bearing holder with the shims and a new belt. All good but the problem is Yeti only reimburses them about half the real cost of labor. They eat the loss every time they have to fix what Yeti sold.
Seems like your dealer might not be honoring this agreement. Good for them, not so much for you or am I missing something?
You might ask about the many other parts that should be replace as well. All free at our local shop.
I must add I am super stoked with my Yeti kit, I installed all the service bulletin parts and it rocks!

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
They are charging you labor to perform the work involved in the service bulletin?
So I know of a Yeti dealer who performs this service at no charge to the customer and receives compensation from Yeti, including the bearing, bearing holder with the shims and a new belt. All good but the problem is Yeti only reimburses them about half the real cost of labor. They eat the loss every time they have to fix what Yeti sold.
Seems like your dealer might not be honoring this agreement. Good for them, not so much for you or am I missing something?
You might ask about the many other parts that should be replace as well. All free at our local shop.
I must add I am super stoked with my Yeti kit, I installed all the service bulletin parts and it rocks!

yeah, they said yeti only provides like $30 worth of labor which is about 10 minutes worth of work. the service manager wasnt too impressed about that either and said it makes no sense.

what other parts are needed to replace? do you have more info on that? I will call about that tomorrow. im just lucky/surprised to even have this one done... dont wanna take a mile when theyre giving me an inch type deal. who is your local shop? no one in southern/central AB/BC seems to know much about these. c3 and brewster and argyll and all the big guys are near edmonton, 5 hours one way from me.

the cost of the labor isnt too crazy, even if its $100 thats not horrible for what im getting done... I just wanna ride. the driving back and forth is what really sucks, im spending 8 hours on the road to get this done (2 hrs there, 2 hrs back, two trips)

1) SB016 - Ski Deformation January 16th 2018
Installation of new Front Ski Skag
Warranty replacement of Ski Base if cracked
Check with your local dealer regarding 2019 Ski replacement policy.

2) SB017 - 120SS/129SS Belt Drive Alignment - January 26th 2018
Installation of new bearing and alignment of belt drive.
Needs to be done at dealer required specific Yeti Alignment Tools.

3) SB018 - Rail Tip Replacement - January 31st 2018
Installation of New Rail Tip.

4) SB021 - Brake Bleeder Valve Replacement - February 9th 2018
Install new Brake Bleeder Valve.

Possible Warranty - check brake bleeder valve hole / thread - replacement of brake caliper side. So far we had 2 out of 25 with thread damage that needed replacement.

5) SB024 - Brake Caliper Assembly Torque Service - July 5th 2018
Check torque of caliper assembly, brake pads and installation Bolts
Possible Warranty - replacement of brake pads with premature wear.

Last edited:
B
Nov 29, 2018
I’m in Wyoming and we have two dealers nearby, we’re lucky.
Looks like you have all the service bulletins listed (I think) and I agree to make this fair between you and the shop, I’d pay for some labor.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
well I got the ol War Wagon back today, finally. they replaced the bearing, the bearing holder, the clear cover, and the belt, and aligned the shaft again. total bill was $141 CAD and I only had to pay $96. so I think yeti took care of $50 worth of labor. not bad at all, im not gonna complain about that. hoping to ride tomorrow then go for a 40oz steak at canadian brewhouse! gonna be a good weekend.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction everyone, couldnt and wouldnt of been able do to this without you guys. lets hope im not back on saturday with a new problem!!

Last edited:
Premium Features