• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

patriot vs doo vs alpha

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
The 850 never came close to my alpha. Thus why my buddy sold it and bought the alpha. His was the 163 with a 2.6. Your same scenario your stating is the complete opposite of how it went for ours. The Alpha climbed better and farther. And we are definitely not weekend warriors we ride all over the US and BC. Im not hating on the 850 at all because it is a nice sled. Just stating everyone has different outcomes.

That is interesting. In set up snow or snow with a base, my buddy loved his alpha. In deep fluff I was killing him on my 800 poo. Enough that the next ride in deep fluff he brought his 800 poo.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I couldn't disagree with you more about your statement. I had a 13 and the biggest thing I noticed right out off the gate was throttle response compared to the 12. last year I was given a 18 stage 4 slp 3 inch demo sled from the Kamloops dealership to ride for a few days, my first 2 observations were the lack of bottom end snap and the new shock valving, when I returned the sled, I mentioned the bottom end thing to the manager and he agreed the chain case takes the edge of the belt drive, and I fully agree the belt drive spools up way faster, this isn't hogwash, its simply facts.

My 12 was bone stock other than different clutching. The demo 13 ran good. Raced up a hill a bunch even swapping sleds. Same result everytime. About a dead heat out of the hole. Depending on who hit throttle first and then my 12 would win by 2 lengths everytime. Maybe if I was comparing what a stock 12 came with. Compare what you brought. Might be the difference between your comparison and the other guy with the alpha. Two identical sleds will have a different result. My 16 155 axys was quicker than my wife's 163 belt drive. I think it is marketing. Cheaper for them to build and get the same or more money. Not the same as my old cmx belt drive.

Last edited:
A
Claims the 2.6 climbs on snow and picks up speed where the 3 augers some. Did claim 3 will win on a couple days but claims very few. The only thing I know was my 155 3 inch was more fun than my wife's 163 2.6.

I agree with you. Atleast in the snow we generally have in Alaska. Iv owned a couple 2.6” x 155” in the 800.
This year with the same track length and 850 power this 3” has straight Impressed me so far

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
My 12 was bone stock other than different clutching. The demo 13 ran good. Raced up a hill a bunch even swapping sleds. Same result everytime. About a dead heat out of the hole. Depending on who hit throttle first and then my 12 would win by 2 lengths everytime. Maybe if I was comparing what a stock 12 came with. Compare what you brought. Might be the difference between your comparison and the other guy with the alpha. Two identical sleds will have a different result. My 16 155 axys was quicker than my wife's 163 belt drive. I think it is marketing. Cheaper for them to build and get the same or more money. Not the same as my old cmx belt drive.
I think the comment was more on the "feel" and throttle response of the belt drive vs chain....rather than a distinct difference in capabiilty

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Yesterday I had the chance to ride with 160 inch class alpha and doo 850 vs my 850 2.6 , all of us very experienced riders that ride a lot and live in the bc mountians and are close in age and weight. The guy on the alpha wanted to race up a untouched face with aprox 16 inches of fresh, we decided to go one at a time for safety reasons, but it was agreeded that we would start at the base of the slope, no run. The cat went first, he got aprox 3/4 way up, started to trench and wheelie and turned out, second was the doo and the results were close to the same as the cat, I went last and I blew completely over the top, with no trenching or ski lifting, I came back down with perma grin under my helmet. The doo guy says to me, your sled is like a tractor and stays flat, he did mention to me that he had shorten his strap by one hole to prevent ski lift, the cat guy is under his skid trying to lock out his skid and had no comment to me lol. The doo guy also commented on how well my sled can hold a edge on some long sidehill. Towards the end of the day, both myself and the cat guy were tired in the arms, mind u, I rode way more aggressive than the other 2 guys did as I was on a mission to show how awesome the pol 850 is, but considering the alpha is supposed to be easy to ride, at the end of the day, he was just as tired as I was. The snow was harder underneath and made for a hard day of riding, honestly I prefer to not ride when the sno is like that. One thing I can say about this sled vs my 800 axys is, I can hold a steeper sidehill and hang way higher with confidance. I wished I had filmed the whole thing and next time I will, so tks pol for making such a great sled.

I found exactlly the same, i have a 850 axys, ride with a doo 850 all year so far, 163 belt drive... it is way more snappy than the doo when i find it helps the most is like that split second you need right before you get stuck the polaris pops up and snaps out of the trench and the doo just digs and your boned.. i flip back and forth quite a bit and me and my buddy are always compareing the doo has some benifits but overall if i had to choose i would stay on my polaris any day.

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
It’s very interesting to hear how everybody has different experiences between the different sleds especially relative to handling. The last couple weeks we rented some sleds and I had the pleasure of riding an 850 patriot, 800 axys (personal sled), 850 ski doo, 850 ski doo turbo with silber at 5 lbs, and an 800 alpha in a variety of different conditions. What I came away with was they are all good sleds but shock setup is HUGE.

In the deep fluff the 800 axys was amazing but on hard pack a lot of throttle is necessary to roll up on edge. “You have to ride it like you hate it”. If you tighten front track shock further it gets to be a trencher in good snow. It wants to turn up hill when sidehilling with any gas at all if the front track shock is tight enough to make it easy to roll up on the hard pack. I just rode the 850 Polaris briefly but I would say it is very similar but slightly easier to roll up on edge in the hard pack and has slightly better shocks.

The alpha cat had very little front track shock pressure (we had no pump to adjust it) and was crazy stiff in the bars.

The 850 ski doos were very easy to roll up. Both had good shocks and both of them had good power (of course the turbo did). When they were stuck you could feel the extra weight over the Polaris.

In fluff I liked the Polaris, but in harder snow I loved the 850 ski doo with silber. I have rode Polaris sleds for a while but gained some respect for ski doo this week. Until I ride an alpha that is setup a little better it’s not a fair comparison.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I think the comment was more on the "feel" and throttle response of the belt drive vs chain....rather than a distinct difference in capabiilty

Coming out of the hole the same with 2 almost identical sleds except chain versus belt is basically the identical feel and throttle response.

Last edited:
T
Jun 14, 2014
Coon Rapids Mn
Question is, was the 850 out of breakin? I knew I should had broke out the cell and recorded a vid. Im uploading a awesome 58 second pull in a steep twisty ,single sled wide drainage that was filled with over 2 feet of snow vid on utube, ill post it on here if I can figure out how to do it.

Yes it was. Snow was 16 inches I would say from the night before. Good steep hill climb. My shock was locked out. I seriously think that's a massive gain. I honestly would ride any new sled any day of the week. My last sled was a 18 axys and I could not get use to it for side hilling. I always fought the front end from going straight up. I think it just comes down to what works for you. Im not brand loyal I just pick the next sled to ride every year and try it out.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
can some one upload a vid I just put on utube titled, "Polaris 850 patriot climbing drainage in northern bc" I dont know how to do it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k0ct-XpTSlo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
T
Jun 14, 2014
Coon Rapids Mn
That is interesting. In set up snow or snow with a base, my buddy loved his alpha. In deep fluff I was killing him on my 800 poo. Enough that the next ride in deep fluff he brought his 800 poo.

16 inches of snow from the night before. Nice steep climb. Will see how it does in Revy and sicamous for a couple weeks. Different snow to compare.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I've ridden the same places in west Yellowstone for 25 plus years same hills and drainages. I was really impressed with 850x 163x3. Pulled some lines where the 2.6 got stuck and 3 just motored on by. The snow was deep and no base. Had a doo 3 in also and was same result vs 2.6. I chalked it up to a deep day advantage 3 inch. One drainage the 2.6 could not get out where the 3 had no trouble at all. Its sometimes amazing you think a sled is faster than another one but it not until you compare side X side. Clutching makes huge difference smooth is fast feel it shift it is slow.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
It’s very interesting to hear how everybody has different experiences between the different sleds especially relative to handling. The last couple weeks we rented some sleds and I had the pleasure of riding an 850 patriot, 800 axys (personal sled), 850 ski doo, 850 ski doo turbo with silber at 5 lbs, and an 800 alpha in a variety of different conditions. What I came away with was they are all good sleds but shock setup is HUGE.

In the deep fluff the 800 axys was amazing but on hard pack a lot of throttle is necessary to roll up on edge. “You have to ride it like you hate it”. If you tighten front track shock further it gets to be a trencher in good snow. It wants to turn up hill when sidehilling with any gas at all if the front track shock is tight enough to make it easy to roll up on the hard pack. I just rode the 850 Polaris briefly but I would say it is very similar but slightly easier to roll up on edge in the hard pack and has slightly better shocks.

The alpha cat had very little front track shock pressure (we had no pump to adjust it) and was crazy stiff in the bars.

The 850 ski doos were very easy to roll up. Both had good shocks and both of them had good power (of course the turbo did). When they were stuck you could feel the extra weight over the Polaris.

In fluff I liked the Polaris, but in harder snow I loved the 850 ski doo with silber. I have rode Polaris sleds for a while but gained some respect for ski doo this week. Until I ride an alpha that is setup a little better it’s not a fair comparison.

Truthfully, the polaris are a hand full and a workout in shallow sno packi live in the mtns so i can generally choose my riding days, ive cut many days short due to crappy snow , the pol is a deeep sno loving sled and in those condtions, this sled rocks my world, i want to put on as many sidehilling miles as trail miles.:)

D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah
Yesterday I had the chance to ride with 160 inch class alpha and doo 850 vs my 850 2.6 , all of us very experienced riders that ride a lot and live in the bc mountians and are close in age and weight. The guy on the alpha wanted to race up a untouched face with aprox 16 inches of fresh, we decided to go one at a time for safety reasons, but it was agreeded that we would start at the base of the slope, no run. The cat went first, he got aprox 3/4 way up, started to trench and wheelie and turned out, second was the doo and the results were close to the same as the cat, I went last and I blew completely over the top, with no trenching or ski lifting, I came back down with perma grin under my helmet. The doo guy says to me, your sled is like a tractor and stays flat, he did mention to me that he had shorten his strap by one hole to prevent ski lift, the cat guy is under his skid trying to lock out his skid and had no comment to me lol. The doo guy also commented on how well my sled can hold a edge on some long sidehill. Towards the end of the day, both myself and the cat guy were tired in the arms, mind u, I rode way more aggressive than the other 2 guys did as I was on a mission to show how awesome the pol 850 is, but considering the alpha is supposed to be easy to ride, at the end of the day, he was just as tired as I was. The snow was harder underneath and made for a hard day of riding, honestly I prefer to not ride when the sno is like that. One thing I can say about this sled vs my 800 axys is, I can hold a steeper sidehill and hang way higher with confidance. I wished I had filmed the whole thing and next time I will, so tks pol for making such a great sled.

We had the same results last weekend the Poo 850 is one sweet ride.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Truthfully, the polaris are a hand full and a workout in shallow sno packi live in the mtns so i can generally choose my riding days, ive cut many days short due to crappy snow , the pol is a deeep sno loving sled and in those condtions, this sled rocks my world, i want to put on as many sidehilling miles as trail miles.:)

I agree 100%. I've got a 174 Axys 800 and a 175 Gen 4 850. Absolutely love the Axys on a deep powder day. Go anywhere do anything with ease. But when the snow is thin or set up, it absolutely kicks my butt. I go where it wants on those days, not where i want. Unfortunately that's usually wherever gravity pulls me.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I have rode with alphas and doo 850s all winter but didnt choose to go head to head untill now,cause the skill of the riders were not that great so it wouldnt be a fair comparason, the cat guy wanted to do the challange so i greatfully accecpted, im goin out again today or tomorrow with him , it all depends if he is still sore from riding on wed if we go today, and will offer to do the same climb with no run at the slope and ill vid it.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Was rideing with an 800 cat this weekend... the axys kicked its butt.... givin it wasent exactlly a fair comparison as it was a 2016 cat but my 850 axys just hauls and sidehills so much better i rode his for a bit and its like night and day... even when i compare with my old 800 axys it was still better...

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Was rideing with an 800 cat this weekend... the axys kicked its butt.... givin it wasent exactlly a fair comparison as it was a 2016 cat but my 850 axys just hauls and sidehills so much better i rode his for a bit and its like night and day... even when i compare with my old 800 axys it was still better...
Thats not the ascender chassis, big difference.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008

These two sleds are two different animals. The new ascender has different clutches, eight tooth drivers and more. Your sled review cred is now in shambles. After rebuilding your engine, Please find an ascender and try again.

Premium Features