• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tx300 turbo build

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AKwVzyjZeEU&feature=youtu.be

The first 2 stroke turbo snowbike that I’m aware of. Will start tuning tomorrow. I ran this track kit for 2 yrs on my te300 and love the kit other than lack of power. C3 powersports gave amazing service for yeti when they owned them and Jamie and Kevin are awesome guys! It has 3” track, narrowed rails to 5.5” like the ss but track is 11” wide with tapered lugs.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
You have my attention ! Lets see some action footy. I think all of your ideas are sound. I have been around long enough to know that carby turbos are a pain in the ass, and I think its only fair to add that with the popularity of TPI bikes, the major turbo companies will all be trying to boost snowbikes this season, yet I salute what your doing and since i have 4 of the older gen motors I would be tempted to copycat ya. Nice work hey!

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
I wouldn’t say carb turbos are a pita. Any turbo setup has to be tuned and maintained. I wouldn’t recommend a turbo snow machine for anyone who isn’t mechanically inclined. I’m a mechanic for a caterpillar dealer and tuning engines is half the fun for me. I have 7000km relatively trouble free on my carb turbo xp at 10psi. Did the engine at 5500km preventatively.

E
Dec 19, 2007
that's awesome what size turbo is it? have you had it on the snow yet? I built a KTM 380 Turbo with a really small 115 airocharger from a Harley.. it was hard to ride in the Power Band but the 380 was a hard bike to ride anyway not refined like the 300. and it still had some lag. I gave up because I stripped the vane adjuster on the Aerocharger and it was 2000 to fix it. Turbo carbs are not a big deal to tune as long as the carb jets are easy to get to.

Glad you rear mounted. The front mounts are stupid for snow bike because they are way to front heavy already.

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
I’m not sure of the size off hand. Comp assured me it will work but I’m sceptical because it looks pretty big. I had it on the snow briefly by my house to try it in 5cm of snow but it wasn’t really enough to open it up. I will try today. I considered an aerocharger but their prices are kind of rediculous and then so are the repairs like you mentioned. How much boost were you running? My wastegate spring is around 8psi so I’ll prob stick w that. We’re you running a power jet? I’m going to try without first and see. My carb comes off fairly easy. I will wait till I tune it to put the sxs snowshield on

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
So, does the intellijet system work well in a turbo carb application if one doesn't have power jet/throttle position sensor technology on bike?

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
Not familiar w intellijet. Sounds like smart carb jargon. First test run went ok but was slow to boost and seemed lean on top. I will jet up and try again. I’m told this turbo needs to break in so hopefully that helps

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Intellijet is newer version of dial a jet. adds 4th circuit to carb. I have seen turbo setups using these with pressurized floatbowl.

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
Fuel press. Boost and a/f. Runs decent so far. Slow to build boost but not rpm. It seems to have not lost any of the stock bottom end. Only able to build 4psi so far. Either the tune is off or turbo is too big but once I get it dialed I will update. I had to go to work now for 2 weeks so no more vids till I’m back sorry. I was worried about shifting and losing boost but if u just slip the clutch a bit it gets right back into it and doesn’t take much. My clutch is making a bit of a rattle though. Has anyone else with double clutch springs experienced this?

DanielMerrick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Ontario Canada
Nice build man!
If I where you I'd extend the down pipe or post turbo exhaust. You'll have issues with the wide band being so close to fresh air causing inaccurate readings. You could simply add 12-14" of piping. Your intake will have to have a pod setup because the snow will block the prefilter and cause you issues. I've learned the hard way lol

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
Just as an update I’ve got it tuned up pretty good now and am happy I did it. Noticeable power gain and surprisingly not much lag at all now. Still no videos riding. If someone want to ride mon-fri this coming week in Invermere we can take some.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Sweet! I want to see it run! How much more power? Can it hold 4th on the hill in deep snow?

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
Invermere bc. Too bad ur so far away. It’s hard to find people to go with during the week which is when I like to ride. There only one other snowbike in my town too. The other nearest ones are 100 km away

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
Sweet! I want to see it run! How much more power? Can it hold 4th on the hill in deep snow?

It’s making about 5 psi now which would be about 40% more than atmospheric press at elevation and I’d say it feels about that much more. As the turbo continues to break in I think it could increase a bit. I haven’t done any big climbs yet to see about 4th. I’m sure 3rd would be no prob. Stock it could only hold second how it’s geared.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Nice work! Glad to hear that lag isn't an issue. If she holds together , bet a lot of folks will follow your lead. Love riding the 300 snowbike.

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
definitely take some videos! Would be cool to get it on a dyno in the summer, how did the battery do? being reliant on an electric fuel pump is the only thing that scares me.

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
The battery does great. The dc stator is 100w and the fuel pump only needs 20 or so. I’m also powering a light all the time but I’ll probably put a switch on since I don’t need it much. U could easily ride out if the fuel pump died if u don’t boost.

Premium Features