• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Anyone spent decent time on a Doo 850 and have a power comparison?
ya the 18 cat ctec is about 1-3 sled ahead or more every time and have lined them up a bunch on fresh flat or on a fresh hill climb.
the 850 is .005% larger to an 800, more to make the guys with the larger displacement feel better about the fact they spent money on a sled only to break even or are only 1/2 a sled faster. the cc thing is only subject to power delivery and cat does it better with more reliably on the motor.
poo on the other hand and reliability on a 800cc + motor with their track record make sure you get a 4 year and a 10K back up to make it past the very short season of winter.
if your mtcat1 your not going to like this post as Polaris is the laughing stock of motor reliability even without a new larger cc motor.

Last edited:

stocksucks!!

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
fort st john b.c
www.powderking.com
New motor ok cool
36” front end nice
Cool new running boards
Price wtf why so much
Alpha cat less by 1000 or more
Doo well less but shocks aren’t even in the ball park like why has doo not scraped the old school torsion springs.

Now what to snow check
My 2018 blue x 165” 3” shot has 1420km and motor is done I’ve been sleedless for 35 days and counting. Also there installing a new wiring harness and ecm

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
New motor ok cool
36” front end nice
Cool new running boards
Price wtf why so much
Alpha cat less by 1000 or more
Doo well less but shocks aren’t even in the ball park like why has doo not scraped the old school torsion springs.

Now what to snow check
My 2018 blue x 165” 3” shot has 1420km and motor is done I’ve been sleedless for 35 days and counting. Also there installing a new wiring harness and ecm

:face-icon-small-fro:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho
WTF?

J
Jan 31, 2012
Birch Hills, Saskatchewan
ya the 18 cat ctec is about 1-3 sled ahead or more every time and have lined them up a bunch on fresh flat or on a fresh hill climb.
the 850 is .005% larger to an 800, more to make the guys with the larger displacement feel better about the fact they spent money on a sled only to break even or are only 1/2 a sled faster. the cc thing is only subject to power delivery and cat does it better with more reliably on the motor.
poo on the other hand and reliability on a 800cc + motor with their track record make sure you get a 4 year and a 10K back up to make it past the very short season of winter.
if your mtcat1 your not going to like this post as Polaris is the laughing stock of motor reliability even without a new larger cc motor.

1. 850cc is 6.2% increase in displacement from a 800cc engine.
2. Your post is extremely difficult to follow due to your lack of proper grammar.
3. Polaris has clearly addressed many of the issues that plagued earlier motors (although I have had several units with zero issues.)

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
So, first off, even if I had cash in pocket burning a hole, I wouldn't buy this sled this year. By nature I tend to shy away from a v1.0 product, regardless of who it's from. And in this case, lets be honest, we're not looking at the best track record. My biggest reservation is that in recent history Polaris has been willing to accept a pretty high failure rate as long as sleds are selling, and I'm sure that's not just me. At the moment – and keep in mind I'm not the biggest power user – I'd probably be buying a 600 and giving it a couple seasons before jumping to the 850 if it turns out to be as good as they promise.

That said, the fact that they've developed a new engine instead of just maxing out the 800 is promising. Again, that's a double-edged sword: the more that's new, the more likely teething issues are. Hopefully this time they actually ran through enough cycles of failure and revision that it'll be a decent motor off the bat. That they took some time developing it, rather than slapping together a stroked 800 in response to Ski-doo, does mean something to me. Obviously it's going to take some time to prove to me that it's an upgrade in power AND durability, so I'll just say it looks like a promising improvement to a great chassis and leave it at that.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
1. 850cc is 6.2% increase in displacement from a 800cc engine.
2. Your post is extremely difficult to follow due to your lack of proper grammar.
3. Polaris has clearly addressed many of the issues that plagued earlier motors (although I have had several units with zero issues.)

Don’t feed the troll. Lol.

Reality doesn’t apply there.

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
695fb36adbd3d02bd6dd470dbc7a7e77.png

3 out of 4, that was the best post in this thread. I'm guessing some sad Polaris rider that had enough of the fix kit jokes couldn't take it? Lol

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Any word on whether there will be improvements to the existing 800 such as sealed wiring etc?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Any word on whether there will be improvements to the existing 800 such as sealed wiring etc?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Everything is live on the Polaris website.

Specs and all.

But yes many wiring improvements along with a contactless tps. (Not possible to be out of adjustment)

All this to the 850.

No idea on 800 improvements......

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
So who wants to be the first year test dummy's.. Could be a bullet, could be a bomb.. Hope they did there home work here

First year turbo sled could be a killer under a 174".. Good job Poo anyone here the ready to ride weight ?

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
So who wants to be the first year test dummy's.. Could be a bullet, could be a bomb.. Hope they did there home work here

First year turbo sled could be a killer under a 174".. Good job Poo anyone here the ready to ride weight ?

why do they need to do their homework when they know the public will do that for them? polaris has been doing that since 1997 why would they change now?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
If you're interested in the Ambassador Program Referral, please send me a PM.

I have a little something if you plan to snowcheck.

Scott

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
What if Burandt told you to jump off a cliff?

I don't get what the hate is for, just sharing information. People like you have ruined forums. You're probably one of those guys on Facebook posting barney cat memes ever 5 minutes, or writing "junk" on every post about a sled that isn't what you ride. Get a life

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Except horse power, or is it just too flickable to mention hp?

Any number the OEM themselves print I can live without, regardless of which OEM!

....and a hp number without specifying how long it took the engine to reach that hp is useless! If it takes 10s I wont have any use for it in the trees. I want a specified hp number after 0,5s!

Premium Features