• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BURANDTS 355 LB 165", NON-TURBO, AXYS-RMK.... (Video)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Pretty cool machine and parts list. Eveyone seems to hate on Burandt (y'know...because their personal sledding career is going way better), but that's a a wicked sled and I bet it's amazing to ride.

Comparing this to buying a used sled that you smack a budget turbo kit on is hilarious....you can outrun a Ferrari with a hopped up Honda Civic, but which would you rather own.

TRUE!!!!!

I didn't see anyone hating on this sled until this week the build sheet and sale price came out.

When you are on full throttle and on the pipe....
(Yeah, going by dry weights because that is the known quantity at this time)

Stock with turbo=408lbs. 195hp. 2.09:1 power to weight ratio.

Jenny Craig N/A=355lbs. 145hp. 2.44:1 power to weight ratio.

That's a small difference. NOT that much.
And in the trees, 355 is still 53 pounds lighter than 408.

I'll take 355 any day. Yes, there is a price to pay for that. Apparently $31k is the price.

I'm not a hater...I just wouldn't spend that.

BUT, if my PowerBall sponsorship came thorough...WTH...I probably would buy it.
And people can laugh at me all they want...SO WHAT, I COULD PAY MY BILLS AND I'M RETIRED AT 44 YEARS OLD!!!!!

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Removed and resold? LOL, I bet he keeps them as spare parts for the rental fleet.

Anyway you guys are really going to be pissed when you see his Turbo for sale for 36k. hehehe

It does make me wonder what these actually sell for. I'm sure the "Burandt Build" part of it gets him a premium but I can't help but wonder if he puts the high price on it just to get people talking (which we are) and then when a true interested party calls up and says I'll give you $20k for it cash in hand if they don't sell for a much lower number. Just like anything else people sell, Price it high and let people talk you down because you don't want to short yourself on any possible income from a sale right from the start.

Yeah, who pays MSRP for a new diesel truck?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
TRUE!!!!!

I didn't see anyone hating on this sled until this week the build sheet and sale price came out.

When you are on full throttle and on the pipe....
(Yeah, going by dry weights because that is the known quantity at this time)

Stock with turbo=408lbs. 195hp. 2.09:1 power to weight ratio.

Jenny Craig N/A=355lbs. 145hp. 2.44:1 power to weight ratio.

That's a small difference. NOT that much.
And in the trees, 355 is still 53 pounds lighter than 408.

I'll take 355 any day. Yes, there is a price to pay for that. Apparently $31k is the price.

I'm not a hater...I just wouldn't spend that.

BUT, if my PowerBall sponsorship came thorough...WTH...I probably would.

Your math is off at elevation for what its worth. (the power to weight difference is far bigger - and your turbo output is also likely off)

To add, a Jenny Craig full of fuel weighs about the same as a turbo sled with minimal fuel. Obviously, nobody is going to ride with 1 gallon in the tank, but for a fun experiment one can do this.

I've had plenty of days coming back to the house (or truck) on fumes and the sled is certainly more fun to ride, but the weight reduction of fuel is not near the difference of "turbo" vs "no turbo".

Food for thought... power to weight differences of those amount are a far bigger deal than weight reduction. At any price that is...

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
I had the same reaction as many others… Mainly wtf? Full retail on this stuff (more in some cases), AFTER it's been whacked around for the season?
If a guy wanted that sled, be better off buying a holdover and paying full pop for everything, you'd save the labour charge, AND your sled would be identical, but NEW still haha.

But undoubtedly there's some individual that wants it for the "star power" attached to it. Hate to break it to you, there's no category for a machine like this at Barrett-Jackson, you won't make money with this, just LOSE 30% as soon as you put it in your truck/trailer. It's not like Steve McQueen's Ferrari lol...

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
If they didn't try and bs everyone there wouldn't be haters.

I agree with you on that. They are in the business to make money and they have to plug their sponsors. When Sahen wore sledneck gear he told everyone how good it was but in my opinion it's junk. Brown is good at the bs talk and get him talking about Burandt and you'll see how much they don't like each other. But still anyone with an opinion can comment on forum site just like I'm doing right now. You can't please everyone. Just use this thread as an example you have someone comparing a Ferrari to a Honda Civic. It's amusing. These site have a lot of conflicting information that I find very useless. I just don't see manufacturers turning to a forum site to get useful information. Unless they are listening to me. lol

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Your math is off at elevation for what its worth. (the power to weight difference is far bigger - and your turbo output is also likely off) Splitting hairs.

To add, a Jenny Craig full of fuel weighs about the same as a turbo sled with minimal fuel. Obviously, nobody is going to ride with 1 gallon in the tank, but for a fun experiment one can do this. Splitting hairs.

I've had plenty of days coming back to the house (or truck) on fumes and the sled is certainly more fun to ride, but the weight reduction of fuel is not near the difference of "turbo" vs "no turbo".

Food for thought... power to weight differences of those amount are a far bigger deal than weight reduction. At any price that is...

Comments in red.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
My question is: how strong/tough are these two sleds?

My '14 PRO 800 isn't half as strong as Large Marj ('00 MM 700). I think once you start cutting pounds, the strength of materials decreases.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Both say Polaris. Its not a comparison of Ferrari to Civic. You can call it "hilarious" but its far more apples to apples than your ferrari vs civic comparison.

I can buy a Sidekick or a silber kit for $4K. Hold over for $10K. New turbo sled for $14K with $1K left for some swanky suspension. And yes, that sled will go anywhere this sled will. (especially at higher elevation)
Point being this sled is the full package - power, weight, suspension, looks, everything installed and tuned properly (one can only assume), all top end parts. Think of the time needed just to source and collect all the parts, many of which were probably the first of their kind.

And like it or not....Burandt is Burandt....he can ask whatever the F he wants for it, and probably get closer to it that many would believe. Like it or not....he's the top of the sledding food chain, period. Dude has built an amazing career and branded himself to a level that's never been done before in the snowmobile industry. Whether you're a Polaris guy or not.....you gotta admit, that's impressive. So it's safe to say....he knows what he can ask for the machine better than all of us do.

I DO think it's hilarious how so many people pick apart the sled, the build, the asking price, etc. If you want to buy a used or holdover sled, install a budget turbo kit and some ebay shocks on it in, put no value in to the labour (even if your own)....you are clearly not the buyer. But that doesn't mean that buyer doesn't exist...and it doesn't mean they're stupid or otherwise. Plenty of people out there who would just want a super high-end machine, but have no interest (or time, or both) to collect all the parts, install, figure out the settings, make the necessary mods to make everything work/fit with everything else blah blah blah

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Comments in red.

I mean no disrespect but how can you say "splitting hairs" when you are the dude that did the power to weight ratio calculations? The whole reason you do a calculation like this is to "split hairs".

Apologies if you take issue with me pointing out your data is maybe in need of work, but it does.

Lets see, at 10,000 feet (burandt's riding elevation) a stock motor is putting out about 110 horse. SLP mods, maybe its up to 125. NA at elevation just plain suffers.

A well setup turbo sled is probably around 200-210 (so yeah, I was splitting hairs there)

So - 408 pounds / 200 = 2.04

vs

355/125= 2.84

So yeah, say what you want but if the "heavy" turbo sled is putting out 25%+ more on a power to weight ratio, well, good luck.

Not to be all nitpicky, its just crazy for you to say "this matter" and "this doesn't" when the math says anything but

I'm sure the 355 pound sled is sweet. A really cool concept for sure. But its more of a swanky thing than it is a performance thing.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Point being this sled is the full package - power, weight, suspension, looks, everything installed and tuned properly (one can only assume), all top end parts. Think of the time needed just to source and collect all the parts, many of which were probably the first of their kind.

And like it or not....Burandt is Burandt....he can ask whatever the F he wants for it, and probably get closer to it that many would believe. Like it or not....he's the top of the sledding food chain, period. Dude has built an amazing career and branded himself to a level that's never been done before in the snowmobile industry. Whether you're a Polaris guy or not.....you gotta admit, that's impressive. So it's safe to say....he knows what he can ask for the machine better than all of us do.

I DO think it's hilarious how so many people pick apart the sled, the build, the asking price, etc. If you want to buy a used or holdover sled, install a budget turbo kit and some ebay shocks on it in, put no value in to the labour (even if your own)....you are clearly not the buyer. But that doesn't mean that buyer doesn't exist...and it doesn't mean they're stupid or otherwise. Plenty of people out there who would just want a super high-end machine, but have no interest (or time, or both) to collect all the parts, install, figure out the settings, make the necessary mods to make everything work/fit with everything else blah blah blah

You can be all the fanboy you want. I don't think Chris himself would even care I take "issue" with his pricing. He'd probably agree with me on a lot of this. (ranting about turbo sleds vs light NA sleds)

I am not the buyer. Nobody in this thread is the buyer. And I 100% agree he can ask whatever he wants. I also hope he gets it! Capitalism is awesome.

I can however point out how silly it is...welcome to the US of A.

Last edited:
R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
I feel like a mod sled Should have modified parts...save for the smaller aluminum tank it's basically buying parts. Oh and a heated brake lever.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
You can be all the fanboy you want. I don't think Chris himself would even care I take "issue" with his pricing. He'd probably agree with me on a lot of this. (ranting about turbo sleds vs light NA sleds)

Ah yes just because you don't participate in the hate you're a "fanboy" ... that train's never late!

That's why the manufactures don't listen to forum sites....everyone's full of it. I was told by Chris Brown and Sahen that they don't post because of all the haters.
Which is too bad really. I think you miss out on a bunch of quality "posters" these days....because many of them got sick of pages and pages of grown men whining.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
JJ, you're right, my numbers are off. Jenny Craig is Stage 4 mods.
I need to up my 145 to about 165.
That decreases the difference in HP to weight ratios between the two.

Premium Features