• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris axys vs. skidoo 850 backcountry sleds

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Motor testing

Both companies are required to put a minimum amount of miles on their sleds before they release them. I've seen both brands flaw at 500 or less miles and at same time run 3000 miles with only belts and a plug set changed.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
No need to find fault when is so obvious. This an axys engine out of my buddies sled. View attachment 269580

Stock??? Umm.....ok :) That looks like BAD detonation. Sleds don't do just that on their own. . . that badly at least.

Unless "stock" is the new buzzword for "i modded the heck outa my sled and it blew up, now all of my mod parts are removed and i want my stock sled fixed". Ok . . . wink, wink....stock it is . . .gotcha :)

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I rode an Axys for the first time yesterday. Stock 800 with 163 2.6 inch track. Motor seemed pretty good to me. Here's my first time riding one (second pull). Good motor...easy to ride...excellent transfer. This sled must be a hoot on boost. But, really impressed. Very light handling and predictable. Was comfortable with about 5 minutes seat time climbing stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ztZkE0VKS4

Z

Zone28M7

Sep 28, 2009
Louviers, CO
I rode an Axys for the first time yesterday. Stock 800 with 163 2.6 inch track. Motor seemed pretty good to me. Here's my first time riding one (second pull). Good motor...easy to ride...excellent transfer. This sled must be a hoot on boost. But, really impressed. Very light handling and predictable. Was comfortable with about 5 minutes seat time climbing stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ztZkE0VKS4
Ohhhhh they're LOTS OF FUN on boost!! So sick. Best sled I've ever sat on, especially boosted. The new HO MOTOR loves boost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
This is a great time to be snowmobiling! I have two T3's and ordered a 850 165. I still want an Axys 174 after riding a friend's Axys. There is very little info on the Poo 174 which makes it tough to consider any kind of snow check... Has anyone heard anything or ridden one?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont

Jimbo, good to see you on here.

That's a heck of a pull. Looks GREAT.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Thanks Scott. Yes, fun pull, especially with a sled that predictable which holds track speed all day. Gotta give Polaris a thumbs up on this one. I did a back to back with a piped 2008 m8 with 153 track. The cat had a little more top speed run out on the approach but the shorter track and less ability to stay on top of the snow had me barely making it...but it made it. Fun day. Now to get a new clutch for my pg turbo m8 and go back in 2 weeks...cant wait!

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Thanks Scott. Yes, fun pull, especially with a sled that predictable which holds track speed all day. Gotta give Polaris a thumbs up on thisUOTE]

You gotta be kidding. There is no way that sled held track speed. Crank up the volume and listen to yoyo whirring sound. Up, down, low, clutches sticking. . That sled was a joke. It's missing about 25% of what it could do.
Nice climb, crappy clutching. Not your fault.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Agree the clutching is not perfect...there were a few spots where the track broke loose when i crossed tracks and got into the hard slick layer below. But for a bone stock sled out of the crate i think it was pretty dang good. It didnt fade on a long pull and recovered well and pulled hard the entire climb. That climb that day had a very diverse ser of layers...from packed 2 foot deep powder to an icy layer not far underneath to hard pack at the top. Considering the diversity of traction, i thought it was pretry good. And there is no keyboard highmarking on this deal...i actually rode it and felt the sled pull. It pulled hard and the clutching recovered well and it didnt fade with those conditions. Not too bad...and im gonna have to pull the Internet BS trump card on this deal on you because i was actually there and actually climbed it and actually felt it pull. Peace and love my sledding friend.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
BTW...I ride an arctic cat for what it is worth. Great sled Polaris has put out this year. Id have no problem yoyoing that thing around all year.

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
No need to find fault when is so obvious. This an axys engine out of my buddies sled. View attachment 269580

Ya they are still coming apart.....at 300 miles. Stop acting like it doesn't happen. Polaris still needs to build an engine that is more reliable. The new G4 has as much improvement or more over the t3, as the axys does over the pro. They both have pros and cons. I have both and love every minute on each of them. I'll have a G4 and an axys in the trailer next year so it should be fun to compare them side by side on the hill without any pressure from a dealer.

As far as the steering differences go, some people can't stand the more layed back steering and some people can't stand the vertical steering so that's just personal preference. The whole t motion thing is kinda the same way. I hate it when it gets real steep but it's sweet when I'm just taking it easy through the trees and the sidehills aren't to steep. It definitely takes less effort to ride the skidoo than the pro. The axys is about the same effort as a t3 but they say the G4 is even easier. If that's the case the G4 will be less tiring than the axys. Bottom line......buy what makes you smile and go ride the crap out of it. We all talk big on our keyboards but at the end of the day, on the hill, it don't matter. Unless we have to tow you out, then it matters. Lmao.

Even with pictures and facts, you still can't convince a Polaris owner they have problems when in fact they do but if "I've never had problems" then they don't exist. It's mind boggling some of you think stock axys keep up with stock Doo this year. I thought after proving that 10xs over this winter, Posting a add and calling out Polaris'- I wouldn't be hearing it still but man you guys are hard core. My buddy got punished by his Poo bad this winter and he's so anti Doo he asked me about a Arctic cat today. WTF! Don't get me wrong I don't want you guys to change brands I just want you to show up (with a friend preferably cuz I don't want to dig you out or tow you back) I had a great year and never did I see 1 single stock Pro-Axys do anything special or even keep up for that matter.
Red Mtn you need to take a road trip, and Kanedog I don't usually ride with girls but I would let you come with us whenever you want.

R
Feb 29, 2016
No road trip for me. I live in some of the best sledding country in the world. I still have a couple months of riding, you should come on down, bring the 850, you're going to need it....

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Even with pictures and facts, you still can't convince a Polaris owner they have problems when in fact they do but if "I've never had problems" then they don't exist. It's mind boggling some of you think stock axys keep up with stock Doo this year. I thought after proving that 10xs over this winter, Posting a add and calling out Polaris'- I wouldn't be hearing it still but man you guys are hard core. My buddy got punished by his Poo bad this winter and he's so anti Doo he asked me about a Arctic cat today. WTF! Don't get me wrong I don't want you guys to change brands I just want you to show up (with a friend preferably cuz I don't want to dig you out or tow you back) I had a great year and never did I see 1 single stock Pro-Axys do anything special or even keep up for that matter.
Red Mtn you need to take a road trip, and Kanedog I don't usually ride with girls but I would let you come with us whenever you want.

1500 psi, you are a legend (in your own mind) and would spank Burandt, Adams and Curtis on their stock AXYS'S (in your own mind).
Reality is all 3 two strokes with a skilled rider will go where they want them to. Some of us get tired of useless posts by guys beating their own drum about how great they and their sled are....grow up and start contributing useful input to this forum PLEASE. BTW, Polaris has dominated the stock class for years at the RMSHA circuit and a lot of riders like the poo, doesn't make the other brands better or worse. BTW snowest picked the AXYS the deep powder champion sled of the year. Doesn't make it the best sled but it does work well for a lot of riders as does Doo and AC. I love the AXYS for my riding style, I am sure I would love a Doo or AC if I was on one and got it dialed for my
Riding style. Safe riding to you and your group and hopefully you will mature and get a grasp on reality...cheers

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008

1500 PSI, what alternate universe do you live in? The 16 Doos are good sleds. However, they have not been spanking Axys sleds here in Idaho and that is if you can find one on the snow. There is a reason that the Axys was the Snowest sled of the year. Maybe the new OPEN CLASS G4 850 will achieve that honor next year and maybe not. We will see. I rode an XM and a T3 174 last year. I liked them a lot but they were not as good as the Pros that I was riding with on those days. They were predictable but the stock shocks are junk. The torsion rear spring, also found on the new 850, is anachronistic as in old school. They were too heavy and too fat but you can still have fun on them.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
you still can't convince a Polaris owner they have problems when in fact they do but if "I've never had problems" then they don't exist.

It's mind boggling some of you think stock axys keep up with stock Doo this year.
You are talking out both sides of your mouth there.

Just because YOU don't see an AXYS "beating" a Doo, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

You don't SEE the Axys because you are down at the bottom stuck in a tree well. HAHA

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY

Where would this road trip take me? I may want to see if I can keep up. But I ride an old PRO.
Edit: I've had my share of problems and I'm slow but eventually I'll get there.

Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
The Axys got spanked on the hotdogger front compared to the 660 I was riding most of that day. I could make 4-5 good pulls on the 660, turn the burritos over, and make a few more pulls and have some delicious, hot burritos. My favorite is the chicken chimichanga (which I realize is not technically a burrito...do don't call me out there please). The Axys didn't have a hotdogger and therefore got spanked when it came to cooking burritos back-to-back with an older 660. I bet anyone that came to ride with me in my area wouldn't cook a burrito that good. Axys sucks!

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Agree the clutching is not perfect...there were a few spots where the track broke loose when i crossed tracks and got into the hard slick layer below. But for a bone stock sled out of the crate i think it was pretty dang good. It didnt fade on a long pull and recovered well and pulled hard the entire climb. That climb that day had a very diverse ser of layers...from packed 2 foot deep powder to an icy layer not far underneath to hard pack at the top. Considering the diversity of traction, i thought it was pretry good. And there is no keyboard highmarking on this deal...i actually rode it and felt the sled pull. It pulled hard and the clutching recovered well and it didnt fade with those conditions. Not too bad...and im gonna have to pull the Internet BS trump card on this deal on you because i was actually there and actually climbed it and actually felt it pull. Peace and love my sledding friend.

It's in video to see. You can hear the horrible shifting clutches but you still don't see that? You are completely on glue. Not only are you on glue, but your skills suck because there is no way that your rank amateur style allow to watch the guage on the way up. If you were watching, you would not have made the comment about it holding track speed.
The sled ain't back shifting and the rpms are all over the place. A properly clutched sled sounds the same ALL the way up on a climb.
Keep denying. You have a lot to learn.

Premium Features