• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

my first turbo, need wisdom :)

N
Nov 11, 2015
Ottawa Canada
hey everyone .. so like the post said i just got my hands on my first turbo its a cpi stinger used turbo kit for a rev .. i have zero installation instructions but that should not be much of an issue other than a bit of hose routing.

OK i am told this is the place to go for ski doo turbo information so here are a couple of things i am looking to find out

1. what is a safe boost level on pump gas in a stock motor (800 H.O)... i am planning to run 7psi on 94 pump gas .. from what i have read on-line the kit is suppose to run 9psi on pump gas im not looking to squeeze every pony i can out of this set up. i am willing to sacrifice some power for reliability, that being said boost is an addiction so what is safe on a stock motor

2. do i have to lower my compression to run 7 to 9 psi if i do is a low compression head or having mine milled the best option

3. im assuming all new clutching is in my future .. recommendations ?

4. timing... OK where it is or does it have to be adjusted .. if so how ?

5. im sure there are a dozen things i am forgetting to ask but ill start with this and see what happens.. basically i am trying to put together a plan of things to address before i hit the snow .. if there is anything i should know adjust or change id like to here about it from you guys . i ride flat land in eastern canada below 2000 ft . hope to here from you all

11223771_10153464706063751_2622626161650953640_o.jpg 11822305_10153569887694444_6458640612212466758_n.jpg 12195007_10153464707158751_5800072031432587056_o.jpg 12240290_10153464704628751_3612220893297137790_o.jpg

vendetta

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Langley B.C
Do not run pump gas. Spend a little extra and get av gas. It's seriously 25$ more a ride but a motors 2000$.

Don't need to lower compression it's fine

Take your time. And double check everything.

Don't use cheap parts get the good stuff as in hosing and what not

You can find a clutch kit on snow but I forget the guys name.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
hey everyone .. so like the post said i just got my hands on my first turbo its a cpi stinger used turbo kit for a rev .. i have zero installation instructions but that should not be much of an issue other than a bit of hose routing.

OK i am told this is the place to go for ski doo turbo information so here are a couple of things i am looking to find out

1. what is a safe boost level on pump gas in a stock motor (800 H.O)... i am planning to run 7psi on 94 pump gas .. from what i have read on-line the kit is suppose to run 9psi on pump gas im not looking to squeeze every pony i can out of this set up. i am willing to sacrifice some power for reliability, that being said boost is an addiction so what is safe on a stock motor

2. do i have to lower my compression to run 7 to 9 psi if i do is a low compression head or having mine milled the best option

3. im assuming all new clutching is in my future .. recommendations ?

4. timing... OK where it is or does it have to be adjusted .. if so how ?

5. im sure there are a dozen things i am forgetting to ask but ill start with this and see what happens.. basically i am trying to put together a plan of things to address before i hit the snow .. if there is anything i should know adjust or change id like to here about it from you guys . i ride flat land in eastern canada below 2000 ft . hope to here from you all

First things first. That little greylor pump that CPI used is very fragile. You may want to get a aviation pump(I have one I would sell you, PM sent).

You are not going to need to adjust timing. If I was you I would contact Dyanamo Joe for clutching. www.ibackshift.com. That's just my opinion.

Also as stated good fuel is important if you want to run higher boost.

If the kit didn't come with a wideband O2 best get one as well for tuning.

N
Nov 11, 2015
Ottawa Canada
First things first. That little greylor pump that CPI used is very fragile. You may want to get a aviation pump(I have one I would sell you, PM sent).

You are not going to need to adjust timing. If I was you I would contact Dyanamo Joe for clutching. www.ibackshift.com. That's just my opinion.

Also as stated good fuel is important if you want to run higher boost.

If the kit didn't come with a wideband O2 best get one as well for tuning.

actually that little pump all ready has a broken fitting on it so im looking to fix or replace it

yes i was all ready dealing with joe before i got the turbo so i will likely contact him again ...

at what point would timing need to be adjusted .. and thanks i dident think i had to only runing 7 psi but just making sure ..

i am not going to be running av gas or race fuel .. if i was doing that i would be aiming for a lot more than 190 hp .. im looking for good reliable boost and im sure with some tips ill tune it to work just fine ..

yes im shopping for a wide band air fuel gauge right now .. does anybody have any idea where the best deal is on a good one

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
actually that little pump all ready has a broken fitting on it so im looking to fix or replace it

yes i was all ready dealing with joe before i got the turbo so i will likely contact him again ...

at what point would timing need to be adjusted .. and thanks i dident think i had to only runing 7 psi but just making sure ..

i am not going to be running av gas or race fuel .. if i was doing that i would be aiming for a lot more than 190 hp .. im looking for good reliable boost and im sure with some tips ill tune it to work just fine ..

yes im shopping for a wide band air fuel gauge right now .. does anybody have any idea where the best deal is on a good one

Whats your elevation. Probably only need 6 lbs to do that unless your like over 11000 feet.

AEM UEGO or Innovate O2 gauges are booth good. Seems you should be able to buy the AEM south of $200 many places online.

N
Nov 11, 2015
Ottawa Canada
ill be 2000 feet and under .. and i all ready ordered the new wast gate so ill stick with 7 psi lol if its a little over 190 thats ok too .. as long as im still in the safe zone im happy ... i know what good brands of gauges are but has anybody bought one recently .. found a good deal .. also im up in Canada so 200 u.s is about 700 Canadian lol

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
i am not going to be running av gas or race fuel .. if i was doing that i would be aiming for a lot more than 190 hp .. im looking for good reliable boost and im sure with some tips ill tune it to work just

I noticed that you asked for advice from turbo owners. 3 people have suggested to run avgas due to your elevation and boost level but then you say that you won't be running avgas. I have to ask-if 3 people with turbos advise you to run a gas, why won't you be running avgas?
I would be the 4th to advise to use AV gas.

N
Nov 11, 2015
Ottawa Canada
I noticed that you asked for advice from turbo owners. 3 people have suggested to run avgas due to your elevation and boost level but then you say that you won't be running avgas. I have to ask-if 3 people with turbos advise you to run a gas, why won't you be running avgas?
I would be the 4th to advise to use AV gas.

well the kit is meant to run 9 psi on premium gas .. iv lowered the boost to 7 psi just to take it a little easy on my motor .. the reason for needing av gas is to avoid detonation under load, if i am going to lower my compression ration and also lower the boost level why would i need to run a higher octane fuel ? with a set up that is suppose to run 9 psi .. i would assume i would be safe in doing what i plan? .. if i am wrong i will switch fuel or remove and sell the kit .. once it is installed we will see how it runs . this is my first turbo kit yes but that does not mean i know nothing about boost .. im looking for advice yes .. is anybody running boost in a rev .. i don't know anybody who is .. what will they take boost wise .. what mods need to be done to the motor to crank up the boost .. what compression ratio should i aim for (current 13.5.1) a little high for boost ? yes ruining av gas is safer ad possibly makes more power but it is not what i want to do ..if i can avoid it ... fair enough ??

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Totally fair enough.
Since you have boost experience and you are familiar with compression ratio there are a couple questions that will help guide you.
What is your compression ratio now?
What will the CR be after 7lbs boost?
What fuel does VP racing recommend for that CR?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
If you need a Greylor pump. I have two. I would sell them cheap. One has a little run time, the other is brand new.

We had really good luck with those pumps. You need to use the 24v.

N
Nov 11, 2015
Ottawa Canada
Totally fair enough.
Since you have boost experience and you are familiar with compression ratio there are a couple questions that will help guide you.
What is your compression ratio now?
What will the CR be after 7lbs boost?
What fuel does VP racing recommend for that CR?

compression ration is 13.5.1
cr was 160 when i rebuilt the motor i used a thicker gasket and it was around i believe 145 haven't checked since last season

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Ok great info. Now let's go a little farther and see if we can come up with a fuel suitable for your needs.
At your present 13.5-1 compression ratio, what will the compression ratio be after 7lbs of boost?

N
Nov 11, 2015
Ottawa Canada
if i was to leave the compression the way it is and boost the motor i would be looking at about 19:1 or like i said probably lower my compression to around 10:1 and after boost have 14.75:1 .. now before you say ok good now what fuel should you run with 19:1 or 14.75:1 .. im not sure and thats why im here

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Heehee- you are one step ahead of me!!
I'm not sure what fuel to use for your application either but if you go to the VP fuel website, it will recommend a fuel/octane rating for each compression ratio that you would like to use.
There is other more research orientated ways to find octane requirements with boost but this is the quickest way. The website has cool pics and fuel descriptions

Fyi-I am happy to inform you that since you are aware of and have knowledge of compression ratios for your application, you now know more about compression ratio knowledge than 90% of turbo riders.

Last edited:

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Don't cheap out!!! Quality fuel is absolutely essential on these motors. Consider AV gas a cheap insurance.

Premium Features