• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3" terrain dominator?

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
The new 2.6" track is pretty cool... and it is based on one of my favorite tracks... the Camoplast 9175/9174 (AKA "new Challenger Extreme)...They made it in a 2.86"-pitch and added 0.10" to the paddle length.

Riding this track... It has great deep snow traction (where we found the deep snow in Alpine).

The X3 track sure is nice... and the variants, still made by camoplast, for the OEM's work well... BUT...BUT, there are trade-off's... the track is heavier in a 3" than a 2.6" for any given design.... The 9175-2.5" and 9220-X3, both 162"x15" wide with same pitch and paddle design ...the X3 is considerably heavier. Also... The extra paddle length changes the character of the sled.

Now...All that being said... I believe that with the AXYS PRO-RMK going to a 7-tooth driver... gives enough clearance for a 3" track... so I think that a Polaris Specific Snow-check only 3" version of their new track just makes sense.

We'll see next Monday.

Can you expound on that in bold? Never ridden a 3"...

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
The new 2.6" track is pretty cool... and it is based on one of my favorite tracks... the Camoplast 9175/9174 (AKA "new Challenger Extreme)...They made it in a 2.86"-pitch and added 0.10" to the paddle length.

Riding this track... It has great deep snow traction (where we found the deep snow in Alpine).

The X3 track sure is nice... and the variants, still made by camoplast, for the OEM's work well... BUT...BUT, there are trade-off's... the track is heavier in a 3" than a 2.6" for any given design.... The 9175-2.5" and 9220-X3, both 162"x15" wide with same pitch and paddle design ...the X3 is considerably heavier. Also... The extra paddle length changes the character of the sled.

Now...All that being said... I believe that with the AXYS PRO-RMK going to a 7-tooth driver... gives enough clearance for a 3" track... so I think that a Polaris Specific Snow-check only 3" version of their new track just makes sense.

We'll see next Monday.

ooooo so the 2.6 may be like a "clipped" 3"..... so could look like the 2.6 with some 5.1 nubs added. cool, cool.....

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Just bought 2 new 3 inch tracks, 162x3 powerclaw weights 57.2 lbs and a new 162x3x16 T3 track and it weights 60.4, don't know what the 5.1 is but
would expect the new poo 2.6 to be close to the 3 PC as far as weight.
Also saw the RTR weight of the 2015 Poo and Doo, 163 Poo 516 RTR
T3 163 537 RTR.
DTR dyno on a broke in 2015 Etec is 164.2 @ 8000 rpm, trq 108.2 @ 7900
rpm. 2015 800 axys with a Polaris supplied ECU with break in removed also done at DTR 160.4 @ 8400, trq 101.6 @ 8100
Poo would have a ever so slight power to weight advantage if they can prove
there real world HP #s

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Can you expound on that in bold? Never ridden a 3"...

The x3 takes some of the playfulness out of the sled. I have seen a huge difference to not such a difference depending on snow conditions. x3 runs 20 degrees hotter down the trail on a pro. I think the 2.6 will be a better all around track. On my wife's t3 174, when you lay it over and can on it, you can feel the track try to upright it and just go. Not a big deal. You can over power it. One thing with it that makes it easier to work out is when you are on a steep sidehill and need to turn it uphill around a tree and line out for an opening, you just gas it and the track kind of works it out for you. With some sleds it can be hard to get out of the turn when on the gas. Almost need to let out for a split second to roll the weight to the outside but with shorter sleds you don't always have that luxury. The t3 just straightens itself out. The x3 is like almost everything else on here, short bars or high bars. It is a preference thing. Mine will have a 2.6.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
If they offer the 2.6 track in different lengths 155,163 and maybe, hopefully a 174 I don't think they will offer a 3 inch as well. I have a 174x3 under My Boost-it Pro and as much as it works great in the steep and deep, it does come with the cooling issues. Also something to consider. Look at Boost-it (NM) Pros and Axys climbing every chute and in deep snow at Revy, all done with 174 x 2.5 not 3 inch tracks. If PI offers a 174 2.6 it will be IMO a excellent starting point for the Turbo or NA guys.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Only reason I see Poo doing a 3" is just for marketing/selling, I think they know just like many of us do that the 2.6 is a better all around track and better suited for what the Pro is designed for, boondocking and side hilling and just being an all around awesome backcountry sled. Not just a stock sled thats just trying to have the high mark on a wide open hill, those lame days are over IMO...

But people are gonna think they need a 3" and that bigger is always better and they're gonna be pissed at Polaris if they're the only one without a 3", thats the only reason I see Poo offering a 3"

Sorry. Fat fingers. Didn't mean to give you neg rep. I agree %100

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i remember when it went from 1.5 to 1.75", and many believed full 2" was still just too much for all around use.
seems like many feel 2.6 is now the magic number.

its all just a phase...

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
i remember when it went from 1.5 to 1.75", and many believed full 2" was still just too much for all around use.
seems like many feel 2.6 is now the magic number.

its all just a phase...

It's all relative to what the chassis will bear as well. Put a 2.6 under an edge chassis and I bet it sucks to ride vs a 2".

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Just bought 2 new 3 inch tracks, 162x3 powerclaw weights 57.2 lbs and a new 162x3x16 T3 track and it weights 60.4, don't know what the 5.1 is but
would expect the new poo 2.6 to be close to the 3 PC as far as weight.
Also saw the RTR weight of the 2015 Poo and Doo, 163 Poo 516 RTR
T3 163 537 RTR.
DTR dyno on a broke in 2015 Etec is 164.2 @ 8000 rpm, trq 108.2 @ 7900
rpm. 2015 800 axys with a Polaris supplied ECU with break in removed also done at DTR 160.4 @ 8400, trq 101.6 @ 8100
Poo would have a ever so slight power to weight advantage if they can prove
there real world HP #s

There is a T3 163 that someone weighed at 533.6 wet but it had a diamond s can, carbon fiber hood, and tki belt drive. Those 3 are probably 30 pounds off but they added some bracing so I'm not buying 21 pounds different. DTR also dynoed a cat and the doo same day and the cat was 158 and the doo was 155 so the pro motor will be there. I also thought they claimed the 2.6 was 2 pounds lighter than the 5.1. Not sure what it weighs. If the new Pro gets up on the snow twice as fast as the pro like everyone claims, doo and cat are in trouble. They won't need the 3 inch.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
What are all the cons tot the 3", like everyone else ive been going crazy waiting for Monday to roll around and have had nothing better to do then waste my time trying to speak my mind on things that dont matter since Poo already knows what they are doing and we wont know anything till the 2nd which everyone knows but keeps trying to read the future.... ANYWAYS what are the cons to the 3" I honestly feel like theres a fair amount of cons to it but ive never actually used one so I cant speak on if its overall worth it or not?

H
Mar 9, 2014
MONTREAL
163x2.6 will be the boondocking weapon of choice! Here on the NorthEast mountains in the tight trees , guys rocking the 174T3 are strugglin with the agility to ride in those tight lines while they climb absolutely anything without any run-in speed wich is , IMO, the only good thing about a X3 in the woods. For everything else the 5.1 stocker does it pretty much all.
2.6 is the golden ticket

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
RTR weight of the 2015 Poo and Doo, 163 Poo 516 RTR
T3 163 537 RTR.
So where is this 40lb. difference everyone talks about? Really 20 lbs. isn't that much.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
looks like even steven power to weight next winter.poo just needs a 3 inch.

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
As far as weight, if you look at what was taken off and what was put back on the T3 it was pretty much a wash, The one posted on snowest, I believe American snowmobiler is where I saw the 2015 RTR weight in there part 1 mountain segment test. Also the Axys tested at DTR was a ECU from Polaris so will it survive in the real world, the 2015 production axys came in at 145-146 none broke in as the doo was 10 higher non broke in! I don't think cat or doo will be in trouble against the new axys as far as getting up on the snow, the tuner/veteran will make changes in the chassis to accomplish the same end result. Funny how just a few years back the goal was to lower center of gravity, now poo decides to raise center of gravity, would make one wonder why, could be that being the lightest doesn't necessarily make them feel the lightest when out on the snow.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
What are all the cons tot the 3", like everyone else ive been going crazy waiting for Monday to roll around and have had nothing better to do then waste my time trying to speak my mind on things that dont matter since Poo already knows what they are doing and we wont know anything till the 2nd which everyone knows but keeps trying to read the future.... ANYWAYS what are the cons to the 3" I honestly feel like theres a fair amount of cons to it but ive never actually used one so I cant speak on if its overall worth it or not?

It totally depends on the track.

The old style CE 3" is stiff and heavy
X3 is lighter but the paddles are too stiff in my opinion
3" Powerclaw is lighter than X3 and the reviews are better
3" from doo is also lighter (relatively since it's a 16 wide) than the X3

A 3" that's lighter, and more flexy kinda like the 5.1 is going to kill anything in powder. But I imagine it would suck royally in the harder snow.

The X3 likes to trench from a stand still but does get up on the snow within a reasonable amount of time, but not as quick as the 5.1. Once you're moving, the X3 beats the 5.1 as far as propelling the sled forward. When maneuvering in the trees the 5.1 seems to slide a bit more if you will. When changing direction with the X3, it hooks and whips you that direction, often causing a situation where you have turned more than you wanted. It's hard to control basically. That added traction and heavier weight make the sled heavier to ride as well. It needs more input to keep the sled going the direction you want to go. It seems the 5.1 just flat out works with the dynamics of the sled better allowing less rider input and a lighter feeling ride. The X3 will go farther, accelerate harder, and turn sharper but it's a significant amount of added input to make the sled do these things.

I want to try a 3" powerclaw or a 3" based off the new 2.6 axys track. I'm pretty certain they would take that effort out since they're lighter and more flexible.... but they might suck too much in set up snow to be worth it. the X3 is still manageable in setup snow because it's stiff enough.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Can you post a pic of the angle on a proclimb, people claim it has a problem
trenching also. Just to see the difference in angle

Premium Features