• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.6 Polaris Track

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
A lot of good discussion on the new Axis Mountain chassis. But haven't heard a whole lot about what your take on the new 2.6 track.

Understand it is 2 pounds lighter and hope that it functions as well in dry powder as the 5.1 but with a little more bite to it in wet and setup snow days.

I realize there is more to come on the 2nd and that you guys didn't have optimal snow conditions for testing. Could be a nice upgrade for the guys that aren't interested in a 3" paddle.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I'm looking at this upgrade for a pro rmk, I hope the stock drivers are drive shaft from the axys will fit the pro for a easy upgrade.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
The new track is still 2.86 pitch that Polaris has been running on the RMK since the Pro came out. Driver wise should swap directly over.

Is there enough tunnel / bulkhead clearance?

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
I don't see how it couldn't be better than the 5.1...I am not a fan of the track at all after putting a x3 on my 12, I think it makes the 5.1 look like a dinosaur but that's me, I would have put a x3 on my 15 if I didn't have a golden ticket. I think people have been wanting more track for awhile so hopefully they did there homework and we have a solid track, Although I wonder if they tried 2.75 I think that might have been perfect but well see.

A lot of good discussion on the new Axis Mountain chassis. But haven't heard a whole lot about what your take on the new 2.6 track.

Understand it is 2 pounds lighter and hope that it functions as well in dry powder as the 5.1 but with a little more bite to it in wet and setup snow days.

I realize there is more to come on the 2nd and that you guys didn't have optimal snow conditions for testing. Could be a nice upgrade for the guys that aren't interested in a 3" paddle.

D
Feb 1, 2015
The new Axys is going to come with 7 tooth drivers from the factory, they wil be 2.86 pitch, so you should be able to put it in the pro chassis with the new track.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
, Although I wonder if they tried 2.75 I think that might have been perfect but well see.

The Polaris head engineer said at the unveiling that a lot of thought went into the new track and changing it was not taken lightly. They did not want to take a step back in anything that the 5.1 did well and wanted to improve overall traction and breaking.

MY GUESS: Since they went to a 2.6" lug as the standard track you will see a 3" lug as an option at the March 2nd snow check release. Maybe even a 3.1"?????

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
So will the new 2.6" track fit the "old" pro rmk without changing drivers? Didn't see a definitive yes/no from anyone.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Swap to an older pro or IQ will be no issue.

There is plenty of room to run a 3" track on the AXYS. I don't see the need at least for my riding style. Maybe if you get a longer track than the 155" and primarily like to blast the big hills.

The Polaris engineers said they played with different setup to make sure the sled was getting on top of the snow quickly. Lots of factors go into that including the track. They mentioned the issue with a different track could be the sled trenches, doesn't hook up and you actually go backwards on what they are trying to accomplish.

In the short time I put on the track, I liked it. It certainly didn't cause any issues. Overall I was very impressed with the AXYS RMK. The speed at which the RPMS climb with power everywhere and how quickly it gets on the snow is impressive. Again, before I made any real changes to this sled I would put some seat time on it. I don't think it needs a different track or 3" for tree riding at least.

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
Kudos to Polaris, sounds like they did their homework. I can't wait to ride one.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
The new track is still 2.86 pitch that Polaris has been running on the RMK since the Pro came out. Driver wise should swap directly over.

Is there enough tunnel / bulkhead clearance?

So will the new 2.6" track fit the "old" pro rmk without changing drivers? Didn't see a definitive yes/no from anyone.

No, 7 tooth drivers will be necessary.

Why would we need different drivers?

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
The 2.6" track won't fit where the 2.4" was without the smaller 7 tooth drivers.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
The 2.6 will rub in the front of the tunnel if you don't change to a smaller driver on the pro rmk.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The 2.6 will rub in the front of the tunnel if you don't change to a smaller driver on the pro rmk.

Oh you tried it?
Where did you get a prototype track?

I think it will fit fine.
It will be tight but no tighter than a 3" with 7 tooth drivers.

My 2.5 camo extreme with stock drivers has 5/16" clearance at the tightest spot.
The tightest spot is above the drivers.

About 3/4" clear in front of the drivers.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
You must have the same chassis as me SMF but I did clip a few nipples on my CE.

Depending on how it's measured the 2.5 CE may be close to the 2.6 series any way.

I hope they have those new drivers in an 8 tooth on some model. I like the design and think it may be a worthy upgrade for my ol' Pro.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Oh you tried it?
Where did you get a prototype track?

I think it will fit fine.
It will be tight but no tighter than a 3" with 7 tooth drivers.

My 2.5 camo extreme with stock drivers has 5/16" clearance at the tightest spot.
The tightest spot is above the drivers.

About 3/4" clear in front of the drivers.

Guys running the 2.6 powerclaw in the pro are running smaller drivers, even if you tried stuffing it in there, it would rub bad with any snow build up and your snow evacuation would be decreased.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Guys running the 2.6 powerclaw in the pro are running smaller drivers, even if you tried stuffing it in there, it would rub bad with any snow build up and your snow evacuation would be decreased.

But the Power Claw is a 3.0 pitch track. A 2.5 CE 3.0 pitch track will not fit with 8T 3.0 pitch drivers in the Pro-Ride chassis. Then new 2.6 still uses a 2.86 pitch so 8T stock drivers will probably allow for it to fit in the Pro-Ride chassis.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

I agree that the snow evacuation will not be optimized for wet heavy snow.

As far as rubbing.......

The paddles are 4-5" apart you really think snow will build up between each paddle enough to "rub"?

The track keeps it clear.

2.5"+.1" = 2.6"
With 5/16" clearance right now it will fit fine.

Premium Features