• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 viper stage 1 mpi kit.....oil pouring out

T
Dec 25, 2014
I'm really frustrated with my viper oil issue. I've just spoken to yamaha, and Greg(at yamaha) told me this is the first they have heard of it?!?! WTF? So my $18,000 mountain sled can't be tipped over??? I feel like yamaha totally misrepresented their product. If I had known yamaha was entering the mountain segment like amatures, I wouldn't have spent way too much money. Call yamaha and voice your concerns please. I know of three 2015 vipers that are leaking all over. Who's fault is it? Mpi? Or yamaha? I DONT CARE!
I just want to ride.

Tomkat700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2013
Pierce, Co
I also called today and was told the same thing. Seems like MPI knows there is an issue and is coming up with a fix. I just wish Yamaha would admit it and help to resolve the issue. I was so mad I considered selling my Viper but other than oil blowing out the sled is amazing.

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
pretty sad that the consumer is left with holding the bag of **** once again!!! thanks yamaha and matt at mpi for the great setup!!!! oh since its not either yamaha or mpi's fault please feel free to blame arctic cat, that is your only out at this point..... MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!

T
Mar 30, 2010
There is a fix and its cheap to do! Reroute The lower oil tank line to the timing cover and add a rollover valve of choice. then route the breather line down to front of motor to just above the bulkhead. had mine upside down most of the weekend and seems to work well!

Last edited:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
If enough people call it in then there will be a warranty update kit. I'd call mine in but I haven't experienced the same problem you guys are. Until I get some mpre snow I wont know if it is going to start leaking...

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
ok matt thanks for the fix, but I'm not holding my breath. yes the fix looks like it will work and I'm not trying to bash but i have over 800 miles now and this is the first time you aknowlaged there is an issue!!!! first you posted that we were all idiots that didn't know how to check our oil!!! then you posted that we were all idiots and was over filling with oil!!! I have smoked 3 belts and have been in several bad positions in the back country because of this issue!! and believe me after riding weekend after weekend and trying to keep a level head and posting and trouble shooting during the week. i don't think it was very professional to treat us like idiots saying we don't know how to check our oil....i do hope the fix works my po box is 3521 ketchum idaho 83340 i will be looking for a check to refund me for my belts thanks Chaz Mitchell

S

Shred4Ever

Nov 2, 2013
It's really unfortunate ... I do feel bad for the guys with endless mess, belts due to oil etc.. It just amazes me that Yamaha didn't promote MCX for the "Option"..

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Mpi

Next years sno checks come with a case of blue shop towels:face-icon-small-win
Because that's what it takes to clean up the mess after each ride. Yamaha MPI sleds r kinda like Nascar, except u can't turn left u can only turn right.

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
You wouldn't have seen a cheap option for boost with mcx. They make nice kits though.

This is a first year mountain sled and everyone is surprised that it has one little issue.

Get the update and move on with life. You aren't blowing engines or have clutches that get hotter than the surface of the sun. The viper is a success in my book.

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Chaz I understand you are frustrated but posting that over and over solves nothing. Matt never called anyone an idiot.

If you feel entitled to compensation from Matt you can call him and discuss the problem. If you are that unhappy with the sled then you need to complain to Yamaha since they hold the warranty....not mpi

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
ok matt thanks for the fix, but I'm not holding my breath. yes the fix looks like it will work and I'm not trying to bash but i have over 800 miles now and this is the first time you aknowlaged there is an issue!!!! first you posted that we were all idiots that didn't know how to check our oil!!! then you posted that we were all idiots and was over filling with oil!!! I have smoked 3 belts and have been in several bad positions in the back country because of this issue!! and believe me after riding weekend after weekend and trying to keep a level head and posting and trouble shooting during the week. i don't think it was very professional to treat us like idiots saying we don't know how to check our oil....i do hope the fix works my po box is 3521 ketchum idaho 83340 i will be looking for a check to refund me for my belts thanks Chaz Mitchell

Just curious are you running the stock 8JP?

T
Mar 30, 2010
stock 14 vipers already had this problem from the factory. the added oil capacity for 2015 made it worse. So can't blame mpi 100% yamaha should come forward and make it a recall. when u check your oil levelcold should be right at O on normal then check it warmed up at 200 degrees and it will be 3/4 up in the operating range thats my best advice.

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
No I switched to your suggestion of the 8DN last ride with the last fix that we were trying and ruined the belt so here we are...... Dont get me wrong guys i bought this sled for a reason have had many yamaha products in the past and was hoping for a big change in the snowmobile world. I special ordered the 2001 yz426f and beat the **** out of that bike and it took the abuse day in and day out and didnt even back talk or hicup one time, just kept on putting out that raw torque hp.... so i was expecting the same i guess.... i definitely didnt think i would have to be on here with an issue after 14 years of technology of yamaha products... i think i have a legit gripe after paying out alot of dough and helping out my local dealer to put yamaha back in the market place!!!!!

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I called and asked to buy this kit for my non turbo Vipers as this will stop the same oil loss these stock ones suffer from too. But MPI is taking care of the kits they sold before selling these to the public...as it should be.

Far from bashing MPI I am thrilled that after over a decade of Yamahas that puke oil when turned over MPI has found a cheap solution.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
I called and asked to buy this kit for my non turbo Vipers as this will stop the same oil loss these stock ones suffer from too. But MPI is taking care of the kits they sold before selling these to the public...as it should be.

Far from bashing MPI I am thrilled that after over a decade of Yamahas that puke oil when turned over MPI has found a cheap solution.

a roll over valve stops oil from coming out when upside down,mpi fix stops it from puking while general riding,it will still lose oil while upside down.

Premium Features